TTORA Forum banner

Avoid this Shop !!!

5K views 43 replies 12 participants last post by  TacoDell 
#1 ·
I've had a bad experience with this shop in Hemet, CA. called XTREME PERFORMANCE and FABRICATION. Had them do an install and they botched the job by not ordering the right parts/rear shocks. And then denying that they screwed up when I pointed out their mistake. I ordered Bilstein 5100's for the rear and they put Fabtech's on. After I pointed that out they re-ordered the Bilsteins but got 5125's instead of the 5100's. That would be ok except the didn't order the the correct part numbers again. Both are BES 6253's and this causes more droop to the drivers side. BES 6252 is the correct length for the drivers side. All Taco's have unequal shock lengths in the rear... 1/2 shorter on the drivers side. Plus they installed my Fab 2.5's and scratched the crap outta them installing them. I knew I should have done the install myself... I'm still waiting for them to correct this. But geezzz I have to prove to them they are wrong... so... after the holiday I gotta take the truck and original shocks back to them so that they may make their own inquery. Hey, all they gotta do is make one phone call to Bilstein to get the facts... When a shop is that lazy... it tells a lot about their work... When I finally get it corrected, I gotta find a new shop... sigh...

#27 ·
Thank You...

kapelusprime said:
Why is it if a dude has got senior or veteran under there name, they feel the need to blast some guy for asking a question. After all I though this was the newbie forum! the moderators should help this guy out. As for internet tuff guys give it a rest, impress us with an answer to the question; rather than with your rapier like witt! :cool:
That's why I asked this question in this noobie forum. And I still didn't get an understanding of the question I asked... No use in beating a dead horse... I'll find my information elsewhere... It's amazing that so many folk have an answer (even without really understanding the persons inquery to the original thread) but never ask for clarifications for the question so they may better help the person asking. There's another thread under suspensions about the same shock questions. I'm getting some better responses from some. But more of the Blah, Blah, Blah than anything else. Easier to resolve my own questions with my own trials...

#28 ·
DesertTRD said:
i know more about bilsteins product line than you ever will in your wet dream.
you have wet dreams about shocks?? that is so wrong :p

#29 ·
cbrRRman said:
That's why I asked this question in this noobie forum. And I still didn't get an understanding of the question I asked... No use in beating a dead horse... I'll find my information elsewhere... It's amazing that so many folk have an answer (even without really understanding the persons inquery to the original thread) but never ask for clarifications for the question so they may better help the person asking. There's another thread under suspensions about the same shock questions. I'm getting some better responses from some. But more of the Blah, Blah, Blah than anything else. Easier to resolve my own questions with my own trials...
you just have to know Corey ;)

#30 ·
cbrRRman said:
I like the advice of relocation. However I don't have the proper machine tools and I'm disabled with Carpul Tunnel Syndrome in both hands (makes it difficult to turn a wrench) I'm not complaining it's just a fact of life... That's why I have to pay someone to install my components in the first place. If my hands worked properly then I'd do it myself... because I'm anal about doing things right...
I was mostly replying to hytenor's post.
cbrRRman- don't need machine tools for this relo, couple pieces of steel and some shock frame bolts to get welded t osteel then welded to truck. if can't do yoursself, who about looking for another member close by, thats willing to help and can weld. thats how mine got done.
I wasn't flaming you and to a degree agree with that all the BS being thrown at some members is wrong.
if I felt I had the acurate info to answer your ?? I would have

#31 ·
grumpy said:
do a relo by kicking shocks backwards and tilted in toward each at top. hope that makes sense. I can email you pics if you want. rides better then A-pillar type relo / \ I had that at first.

adj shocks control compression only. I have the rancho 9K's adj, they suck.
jsut ordered fox with their new CD adjuster on them. yes they are $$$.

doubt you'll find a shock that works great for both wheeling and hauling, except for airshocks.
pics would be great, thanks.

I know, I'm stuck with having to build this thing to be used as a truck as well as a wheeler so I wind up compromising all the time.

#33 ·
grumpy said:
put airbags on it for when carrying a load LOL
gee, thanks. should I get some air-shocks as well? :rolleyes:

#35 ·
grumpy said:
hhhuuummm, do you think you will need both LOL

its really a hard call. what do you do more of or what do ou want the truck to be better at-hauling or wheeling???
I want both, dammit! :xcrybaby:

the air shock would go great with my rear 40" slicks and wheelie bars, doncha think? :p

#37 ·
cbrRRman said:
Thanks rojodiablo, but then I feel they should have put the shocks on that I requested during the install. I ordered 5100's and got 5125's... how's that my fault? If the 5125's are not applicable to the Taco then I should have been advised and I would do my business elsewhere or just order them myself. I'm not trying to badmouth this shop for any other thing except the fact they don't know the differences between a Chevy and Toyota. The shop owner questioned me when I told him the Taco has unequal rear shock lengths... He states, " I've never heard of that. Bring it down to the shop so I can see". And I will. But in all fairness... I heard these guys really know how to tune a engine and that is their best skill. But suspension work is not their forte. Yet they took my money... So I was just warning others so they might be aware of my issues...
I agree, that if they had an issue with supply, or something else, they should at very least let you know. I would check the part# against a valving chart, and see what you come up with; I believe they will be the same. It's up to you, and it is your money& truck. But if the valving matches the truck, I would not worry much about 1/2" of droop. I ran with the 8" travel rear on both sides, then the 9" travel. I never had any problems with the shocks, and never "felt" any difference due to the different droop issue. They all worked better than stock, and in the end, that mattered more. Maybe edge him toward a little tuning help inexchange for the mixup.... be nice, it's worth a try!

#38 ·
#40 ·
yea they would. you should have seen the Excursion a friend was working on-they bought it with the whole suspension chromed!!!! and the shit was breaking all over the place just from riding on the street
I took some pics last night hope to get chance to email to you tonight

#41 ·
grumpy said:
yea they would. you should have seen the Excursion a friend was working on-they bought it with the whole suspension chromed!!!! and the shit was breaking all over the place just from riding on the street
I took some pics last night hope to get chance to email to you tonight
send the pics to Robert Cannon as well to include in his 'scary suspension' section ;)

#42 ·
Proper Bilstein part #'s

After weeks of :bs: I finally got it sorted out. I got a lot of crap from this thread but a couple of good clues from some... Bottom line ___ If your ordering the Bilstein 5125 series for a Taco with 2 to 2 1/2 inches of lift you will need BE5(#five)-6152 for the drivers side and BE5-6153 for the passenger side. You will need to change the bushings to 3/4 inch. If your going to relocate the shocks. In that case you might want 6153's possibly on both corners or something else. I don't know and I don't care... (it's funny that folk always add crap to what you should do, but never really seem to answer your primary question) If you want stock Bilsteins shocks with no lift get the 5100's and you won't have to change out the bushings. The 5100's are 6" and 6 1/2" travel and the 5125's are 8 and 8 1/2" travel respectively... Shorter side goes on the drivers side. As far as the shop goes... They did me right in the end... But I still wouldn't recommend them as they aren't very personable/professional to deal with... Thanks again to those who may have helped... the rest of you should go sit in a corner and stare at the wall...

#43 ·
cbrRRman said:
After weeks of :bs: I finally got it sorted out. I got a lot of crap from this thread but a couple of good clues from some... Bottom line ___ If your ordering the Bilstein 5125 series for a Taco with 2 to 2 1/2 inches of lift you will need BE5(#five)-6152 for the drivers side and BE5-6153 for the passenger side. You will need to change the bushings to 3/4 inch. If your going to relocate the shocks. In that case you might want 6153's possibly on both corners or something else. I don't know and I don't care... (it's funny that folk always add crap to what you should do, but never really seem to answer your primary question) If you want stock Bilsteins shocks with no lift get the 5100's and you won't have to change out the bushings. The 5100's are 6" and 6 1/2" travel and the 5125's are 8 and 8 1/2" travel respectively... Shorter side goes on the drivers side. As far as the shop goes... They did me right in the end... But I still wouldn't recommend them as they aren't very personable/professional to deal with... Thanks again to those who may have helped... the rest of you should go sit in a corner and stare at the wall...
feel better now? LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.