TTORA Forum banner

I can't believe what I am about to say

2K views 30 replies 6 participants last post by  Bear 
#1 ·
I have owned my truck since 1999. bought the '97 bone stock off a toyota dealership lot back then.

Since, I have lifted it three times (body lift, spacers, and currently with a solid axle)

I have wheeled the piss out of it, broken a decent amount of parts, yet nothing as severe as some.

I have "remodeled" the engine compartment with a supercharger, on board air compressor, aux. fuse block and recently an odyssey battery.

The bed has seen similar changes with a bedbar/tire carrier, High lift rack and ammo box installed. I even installed a fuel cell which created a hole in the bed for access to the fuel cell.

the cab has been refurbished a time or two, to say the least. complete seat change to celica seats, interior roll cage that was welded to the frame, two stereo head units to go along with a full complement of after market speakers and amp. which is currently also being upgraded to include a second amp along with a 15" subwoofer which should be housed by a fiberglass custom enclosure.

and everyone knows about the solid axle swap. Hell I have done more to it than I probably can remember!

My immediate future plans include swapping the celica seats out for the Hunsakers. For my rear, the 63" chevy springs are going to be replaced with a custom coil over set up, that parts are already being ordered for.

But as soon as I finish up these last few projects of the sub install, and rear suspension, I think I am finished with the truck! I just don't feel like I want to do any more modifying to it!

I don't know if I have finally gotten tired of wasting money on it or just lost interest in it. Hell maybe my baseball tortured body is just getting too old to keep hauling my fat ass up into it! Or maybe life is just happening too much and too fast around me.

I am sure I will be keeping it around for many more years, but I just have lost the urge to keep modifying it any further.

In fact with the recent front axle issues, I haven't driven it more than 130 miles in the last three months. As I type this, it sits in my driveway at home, just because the 93% octane gas is getting too expensive to keep feeding it.

Damn I hope this feeling is just due to the weather and not being able to get outside much to work on it. But I don't really think that is the cause behind the feeling.

So with all that being said…I just can't believe I said I am tired of my truck.

Wow. I don't even think I have enough "energy" to start another project, yet I have two sitting in the driveway waiting for me.

See less See more
#3 ·
i know how ya feel, i plan on taking the bus ALOT more now. Gas should never have gone over 2 dollars per gallon. I was commenting to my gf tonight that gas prices have driven the "off road vehicle" to the "boat" category. By that i mean that while it is expensive to fill up, the only way that im going to put up with it is to just not drive it during the week. so while i certainly had planned on making my truck a dedicated trail rig...it looks like its going to happen earlier than i had planned.

#5 ·
The gas prices are an issue,(like everyone else…I am not made out of money) But it goes beyond not wanting to drive the truck, I just don't feel like wrenching on it anymore!

Although the Solid axle ride is not that great, it is one of the best I have experienced in a solid axle equipped vehicle. It is just a matter of wanting to go through the hassle of adding new parts or fixing broken parts, which to me is 50-60% of the hobby.

#4 ·
I got home last night with an arm's length list of things to get done on the truck and the current project I am working on…

I picked up the wife from work (driving her car) went home, and took a nap. Only to get wake up and park my ass on the couch for the rest of the evening.

I got up this morning knowing I still need to confirm my axle parts were ordered so I can finally get that fixed as well as had to plan out the day to go buy other items needed for the project.

I immediately fell into a depressive state. I just am not enjoying working on the truck as I used to!

Oh! I did make the parts call and there was a question about which part I needed depending on when it was made. I was actually hoping my mechanic friend wanted me to drop the truck off so he could keep it to figure out the part it needs. I used to hate having my truck in the shop!

#6 ·
I'd say what you are going through is perfectly normal. Everyone eventually gets tired of doing the same thing over and over, hence vacation pay at work... And It seems to me all you do is work and wrench on one rig or another...

You just need a "vacation" from the truck, stop working on it for a while and don't do any runs for a little while (I think people would understand). Hell, put a cover on it if you have one. After a short time I'll bet you wake up one Saturday and want to go work on it again.

Then again, I'm no expert on these things. But the idea sounds plausible... :D

#7 ·
that is definitely an idea. but I have so much to do to it before having so much to do with it! it just doesn't seem like enough time and money for everything to balance out!

maybe it is all just frustration. Hell I am not head shrink that is for sure!

speaking of vacation time. I need some of that also! :D

#9 ·
are you now attempting to high jack this thread also? ;)

#12 ·
Never! :D

This might be a dumb idea, and I'm sure you'll put me in my place if it is... :) But... Leave your truck at home and drive something more ecomical to Harlan, with the money you'll save in gas (not to mention broken parts) alone you can probably rent an ATV down there and still do the recon. :2cents:

#10 ·
dude, get the axle and just make it runable for Harlan, then be spotter until TakeOver, you will get to go off-roading and you will get to relax and make progress (instead of tread water) on your truck. Why do you think i took a break for about 6 months? (between TTORA and PORC, i was going out twice a month for about 2 months and i was getting worn out from all the work)

my advice: take a break, comeback refreshed in August and until then, enjoy being a passenger.

#11 ·
what you don't seem to understand is when I was riding with you at Harlan, I was playing the "cool passenger" I hate, ney deplore riding shot gun and not having my hands on the steering wheel! drives me crazy! (and yes I am working on those "control issues" :D )

But you are correct, I do need a break. at least from working on the truck.

Funny thing is, the work I have been doing to it has been relatively minor in the grand scope of things. Granted it has mostly been the front axle crap, but still relatively easy stuff!

But like I said before, I have a lot to do before and what seems little time to get it done in. I am curious, did you forget we need to go to Harlan in three short weeks? We have recon to do! and my truck has to be ready for that as Dave's jeep won't be ready by then.

#14 ·
I am faceing a similar dillema..........I don't mind fixing my own junk (although it would be ten times better if I did not have to drive it 70 miles round trip 6 days a week)..........but I am getting dam tired of fixing other peoples cr*p every day all day.

it is the same cr*p every day

"high.......I have never done any preventitive maintanance on my car and now it is in poor shape......I am gonna give it to you and I want it back yesterday in pefect condition and I am only willing to spend $7.32.......you can do that right?"

:xsmash: :bitchslap :explode: :banghead:

#16 ·
phyically I don't mind rolling in someone else's vehicle as I normally know how to protect thyself. but emotionally, I feel terriable for the owner!

where was I when you went down Can Opener with Mike? I don't remember that?

#24 ·
in front of me taking pictures.

#18 ·
are you talking about that one section just before those "buggies" came threw and rolled that one? right before you and I (or was it Mike) took my truck back to camp?

If so I thought that was the middle rock garden, not can opener.

#20 ·
It might have been the entrance to can opener, but I don't think it was actually can opener, but Hagan or someone else that knows the mountain needs to chime in on it.

I am just not sure.

#22 ·
then that was I thought was the middle rock garden.

It may have felt like you guys were going over, but I don't remember it ever appearing from the outside that you were going to flop.

but then again there is that one off camber turn on the orange trail at the Badlands you always lead me down that I think each time with my truck I am going to flop (being in a solid axle there are many times it feels ALOT worse than it looks from the outside)

Did you ever get the feeling we were going to tip when you rode with me on that lower rock garden? That is about as stable as I have felt going over rocks, if you thought we were unstable. Even dropping into that deep, deep hole.

#26 ·
He said it! NOT ME.

:D I always try to protect and serve, damn now I sound like RoboCop or something. :lmao:

#27 ·
I am feeling a little better about my feelings with the truck. I was lazy this morning and let wifey driver herself to work so I had to drive the toy taco to work this morning and there is just something about driving it that makes it feel a little more fun to drive than some average econobox!

That and people break their necks trying to get out of the way of my modified "bent up" front bumper with stinger bar and the 37" tires. :D

#28 ·
Gotcha! I thought you did not try can opener

#31 ·
Oh! I have had the feeling many times over!

Or was it the other way around?:confused: LOL!

But I understand about your feelings!

Hey I wonder if she still checks this board? I am bad about checking who is on line

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.