TTORA Forum banner

Broken O2 Sensor bolt

12K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  mrdoug 
#1 ·
Fuckin Shit!!!!

I was just trying to change out my o2 sensor finally. Got the nuts broken loose, doing ok, then the last one got to the top of the stud and wouldn't come all the way off. Almost felt like it was stripped somehow (mind you I'm taking them _off_) just around and around it goes. So I start to bolt it back on, goes fine for about 4 turns, then tightens up again... back and forth, up and down not getting anywhere, so I try to tighten it back down to leave the o2 sensor on there for the ride tomorrow, and the stud snaps. Was a good 2 threads from bottoming out too.

Now I'm stuck and don't know what to do. HELP!

I can get the new o2 sensor on (like that's a big concern now). I can bolt down one side no problem, but not the second. I have about 1 thread showing after the o2 sensor is on.

This is on a california model (and yeah, go ahead, I'm sure that's why and I deserve it, blah blah blah) This is the Forward A/F sensor (technically) before the first cat.

Any ideas?

#2 ·
clamp it and weld it. An exhaust shop could do it quick like if there's one still open at 5:30 pm on a Friday that is sober.:D

#4 ·
Barely, probably not.

I think I'm just fucked.. I talked to Brian and he said I'd be fine as long as it didn't start leaking, then I'd get the CEL and gas milage would go in the crapper (my words, not his). I'm going to see if I can somehow get some hose clamps around that flange and hillbilly rig it to see if I can get thru the run tomorrow and try to hit a junk yard for a replacement next week.

I wonder what the chances are I'm going to find the elbow chunk with a cat in it at a junk yard... And I'm betting pedersen toyota will take my left nut for a factory replacement...

#14 ·
I wonder what the chances are I'm going to find the elbow chunk with a cat in it at a junk yard... And I'm betting pedersen toyota will take my left nut for a factory replacement...
Ok, Anybody have a clue on the likely-hood of finding this at a junkyard? Just got the quote for a full factory replacement from Pedersen Toyota... $1095 not sure if that includes the reach around or not (lube extra tho).

#5 ·
I delt with that before (short term).

Use a hose clamp to sinch the free side down. It actually worked for a couple of years (don't tell anyone!)

#7 ·
I just fixed the same problem. Those are studs just like exhaust manifold studs, etc.

The problem is you have to pull the pipe to get to the studs to drill them out - which may break more studs. I have the tap and proper drills.

If the hose clamp works, go for it... otherwise we can work on it some day.

Always use nickel NeverSieze when you're working on studs.

#10 ·
Always use nickel NeverSieze when you're working on studs.
good tip Don, thanks! Actually I was removing the things (factory fresh 6 years old). I'd soaked them in pb-blaster, ran the truck a little to heat them up (what's the fun of removing O2 sensors if you're not going to burn yourself on the hot Cat.) and was honestly a little concerned about getting them to break loose, but they all 4 (2 O2 Sensors on this) broke and started coming off fine.

I've never seen a bolt strip while removing a nut, but is sure enough did.

I'll grab some of that nickel never sieze next time I'm at the parts place and do it right when I permanently fix this thing.

#8 ·
Yeah... make it work because we expect you at 7:00 am tomorrow morning dammit! ;)

#9 ·
I don't know why I paniced.. I was driving down the street thinking what a micky mouse fix this is.. then it hit me.. Damn, how could I be so blind.

Duct tape and...
Duct tape and...

Ok, please all toyota certified anything please stop reading.

That's right ladies and gentleman.. straight off the farm, you know and love him.. Let's hear it for...

BAILING WIRE!!!!

#11 ·
Ok, thanks all.. I think I'm set for now. I'll run it down to the trail head, if I don't get a CEL by then, I should be ok till I can get this fixed up right.

See you at 7.

#12 ·
Did it work?

#13 ·
It did.. Ran all day yesterday,over 200 miles including a trail run and mountain passes without a CEL. I won't know the gas milage effect till the next tank of gas.. this one included too much abnormal driving.

#17 ·
Junkyards cannot sell a used cat. They cut them off as soon as a car comes in. They also punch holes in the gas tanks so they won't hold/store fuel/contaminants while in the yard being picked over. I think it's illeagal even.

The shop Idea is your best bet.

#18 ·
Indeed it is illegal. Seems it wasn't quite as easy as the shop guy thought, they are ordering a new flange and going to take care of it for me on Friday.

By the way, while I was at Collins Muffler in Loveland, I saw a gold 4runner up on the racks getting custom exhaust after a 3.4 conversion. Is that anybody here?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.