What did you do to your rig today? - TTORA Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4570 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to vwfastg60
What did you do to your rig today?

Winter is coming and i know lost of guys will be tearing in to projects...This thread is to post up what you did today or over the weekend. Pics are optional.

I put in electric fans, 2 speed relays for regular temps high and low and one switched for A/C. Set it up to add a stock V6 fan that goes behind the grill for the A/C if this doesn't work out as well as i planned.

87 Dlx Longbed mall crawler
93 c3500 lowerthanstockdually
10 jaguar xf- about to be forsale
04 760li on 22's- soon to be forsale
02 Vette to show the world I'm compensating-forsale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4570 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member

Planned out how to mount the reverse lights.

Worked on new wiring harnesses for tail and auxiliary lights...mostly new wire, glue-lined heat shrink over soldered connections, full length non-glue lined everywhere else, color coded on the ends and sealed with silicone and a couple inches of glue-lined.

I'm getting about 30min to an hour a day to work on it, which sux, but at least it's progress.

'00 Project, constant state of (d)evolution
post #3 of 4570 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to minerdude1
I got my 3.4 swap finished and running! Been driving it for 5 days on the brand new motor and its running great! Only CEL is for VSS which I have a cable speedometer.

1989 ex cab Yota pickup
-3.4 swap, dual cases
-SAS
-35" BFG KM2 tires
-custom rear plate bumper
post #4 of 4570 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Brandon
Same think I do almost everyday. As I drive by it, I look to see if it has any "you're going to be towed" stickers on it since I don't have a parking permit
post #5 of 4570 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 01:34 PM
ike
Veteran Member

Yep, I drove mine.

Gott build a traction bar and rework my budbuilt belly pan in the near future though.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
post #6 of 4570 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minerdude1 View Post
I got my 3.4 swap finished and running! Been driving it for 5 days on the brand new motor and its running great! Only CEL is for VSS which I have a cable speedometer.
Kyle (QuickDraw) found an article on Marlin's board that talked about a connection on the cable speedo's that produces the 4 pulse signal that the ECU is looking for. I haven't looked into it for details, but plan to.

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
post #7 of 4570 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member

Looked at mine, twice. Once at 0530 when I left for work and once at 1800 when I got home.

- Brian
Daily - '96 Dodge Ram 2500 - 5.9 12v Cummins - 285's, Level 8 Trackers, HID projector retro
Rig - '86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd - lifted, locked, geared, 33's, 85% armored
Cars - '95 Lexus SC400, '86 SVO Comp Prep
Bikes - '06 Buell Ulysses, '78 Yamaha XS650
Spares - '85 Xtra cab 2wd, '01 F150 Super Crew
post #8 of 4570 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member

Got my exhaust crossover all built and tacked up! I'm going to TIG weld it at school this weekend probably. Then I should be ready to pull out the 20R, and drop in the 3.4 in another week or so! Also helped Lauren install her CBI rear bumper...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
Kyle (QuickDraw) found an article on Marlin's board that talked about a connection on the cable speedo's that produces the 4 pulse signal that the ECU is looking for. I haven't looked into it for details, but plan to.
Yep, there should be a 4 pulse VSS inside your combination meter. There wasn't an actual article on it, but I was just reading a thread where "Big Mike" (Marlin's son) mentioned that he just ran a wire to his 3RZ ECU from the STOCK 1980 comb meter.. I'm not sure on the years, but if a 1980 has a VSS...I would bet yours does. I took my comb meter apart and verified this with a continuity tester. There are two contacts on the back of it. If you spin the speedo input, you should hear your tester beep (or whatever it does) exactly 4 times per rotation...which is what the VSS that would go in a transfer case does.
post #9 of 4570 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member

Two weekend's ago replaced parking lights on headlights and on ARB bumper with LED's. All interior lights are now LED. New headlights on the 4Runner as they were all fogged over from the deicer crap. Last weekend rattle canned the ARB bumper and the sliders to protect them from rusting in the rock scrapes. Removed All Pro sticker from skid plate (I never put it on straight). This weekend will replace front turn signals with LED's and install taillights on the 4runner (wife had to have blacked out tail lights to match the blacked out headlights I installed on the front. They will get LED's with them.

Need to get new rear springs for the Taco soon and at some point tires!

CoTacoTRD~07 DC TRD~3" ToyTech Coilovers~Bilstein 5100's ~ Goodyear Duratrac's 285/75/R16~Slee Sliders~Spidertrax Wheel Spacers~ Quick Air OBA~All Pro Skids~ARB Bumper~Custom Exhaust~Snorkel~Sol Tek Lights
post #10 of 4570 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member

Bought it a tow rig

I finally broke down and bought a truck! Got the go-ahead from the wife about a month ago after she drove my car around in 95 degree weather with no AC

I've been looking for a couple of months and finally pulled the trigger on a 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Cab 5.9 Cummins Turbo Diesel with 32k miles. I wanted the 5.9 because of all the emissions regulations placed on the 2007+ diesels. I also wanted somthing with low miles. Everything I found was high mileage. The engines don't mind the high mileage but I wanted a truck that would last me for years to come.

Onto the pics.

These were at the sellers house last Sunday

Wheelbase is the same as a longbed quad cab Dodge Ram

Back seat is huge! The kids will have a ton of space along with any adult that sits back there.

These were today after I picked it up

Next to my dad's 04 quad cab have I've borrowed for 4 years now

Kids wanted to play back there all night

The 4Runner needs to get out sometime.

Addicted Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRTCO
If you build an F-Toy it better be the Toyota motor home class, because your going to be living in it! Your wife would kill you if took on that big of a project!
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorboyota26
Yeah it needs more troyangulation
post #11 of 4570 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

Replaced the factory radio antenae assembly with a more flexible aftermarket unit. The factory one was kindly removed by the big ass brush during a routine carwash.

97 Tacoma ext cab. 3.4 V6, 5spd, 4.88's Kazuma lsd rear, Bilstein adjustable's 2.5" lift up front, Skyjacker 3" rear, All Pro uca's, Skid row armor, FROR rear bumper, BFG km2's 255/85/16.
post #12 of 4570 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

psh i just pulled mine and bent it to fit inside the fender.... now nothing can mess it up, and i use xm anyways so yeah... lol

99 Taco with 5 inches of lift and some toys....
12 Jetta TDI that the wife commandeered
03 Silverado tow pig double extra long green edition
post #13 of 4570 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I replaced my fender mount with an amplified one that sticks on the glass. I get radio up wheeling even.

Electric fan on 3rz= better then i thought it would be. The truck is way more responsive and when it comes on the truck doesnt feel like i have a head wind. best recent mod i have done so far.

post #14 of 4570 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwfastg60 View Post
I replaced my fender mount with an amplified one that sticks on the glass. I get radio up wheeling even.
Do you have a link for that antenna?

99 Explorer Sport
2.5" TT, 4 door leafs, Pro Comp add-a-leaf, front and rear sway-bar disconnects, 265/75/16 Guard Dogs.
post #15 of 4570 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwfastg60 View Post

Electric fan on 3rz= better then i thought it would be. The truck is way more responsive and when it comes on the truck doesnt feel like i have a head wind. best recent mod i have done so far.

no one ever believes me.... the only time i have ever had issues with my electric fan was on mcallister gulch, 2-5mph continous uphill.... it started to get a little warm, too much load and not enough movement for the air to get pushed anywhere. im going to switch to a dual flexalite when i get a real job

post #16 of 4570 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member

Did some research on finding another wagon wheel for a spare. Apparently American Racing has discontinued that style but there are others just like it available. That was according to Performance. If I can pick up one of those for $45 and another 33x10.50 from Discount for $142+, and then talk to my buddy about cost on powdercoating the wheel like my existing four, I'll be good.

Should I try not to get a cert on the spare tire? It's a little bit sketch but here's how I figure it. I have certs on four tires; there are four tires that can get jacked up at any given time. Since they're not serialed or anything, who's to say that the four certs don't apply to whichever four tires are on the ground, and basically just rotate the uncerted tire as the spare?

Also did some semi-preliminary research on a Viair OBA setup. A reconditioned 450C from Hornblasters is $75 less than a new one; trying to figure out if I can buy all the parts separately and come out ahead or just get the Viair 10007 kit (450C, tank, all install/control parts required). And also planning on getting sliders soon too.

If you count thinking and websearching, my truck got a lot done to it today.

- Brian
Daily - '96 Dodge Ram 2500 - 5.9 12v Cummins - 285's, Level 8 Trackers, HID projector retro
post #17 of 4570 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member

Sanded, painted, and put on my rear bumper thursday. Still need to do a few things with the bolts, but it's on!

1998 Tacoma - Rear e-locker, ADS Racing Shocks 2.5" Extended Travel Coilovers with Reservoirs, 3 inch All-Pro lift system in rear, Trail-Gear sliders, Trail-Gear front stinger bumper, CBI Wrap Around tube rear bumper, CB Radio, Skid Row Offroad Skids, 33 inch BFG KM2's on Ivan Stewart 16 inch wheels.
post #18 of 4570 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asha'man View Post
Did some research on finding another wagon wheel for a spare. Apparently American Racing has discontinued that style but there are others just like it available. That was according to Performance. If I can pick up one of those for $45 and another 33x10.50 from Discount for $142+, and then talk to my buddy about cost on powdercoating the wheel like my existing four, I'll be good.

Should I try not to get a cert on the spare tire? It's a little bit sketch but here's how I figure it. I have certs on four tires; there are four tires that can get jacked up at any given time. Since they're not serialed or anything, who's to say that the four certs don't apply to whichever four tires are on the ground, and basically just rotate the uncerted tire as the spare?

Also did some semi-preliminary research on a Viair OBA setup. A reconditioned 450C from Hornblasters is $75 less than a new one; trying to figure out if I can buy all the parts separately and come out ahead or just get the Viair 10007 kit (450C, tank, all install/control parts required). And also planning on getting sliders soon too.

If you count thinking and websearching, my truck got a lot done to it today.
if its performance wheel and tire as long as they are the same tire then you are fine, they log that in the computer, thats it, though if the date code is way out then someone might snag it.... but i doubt it

post #19 of 4570 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 11:40 PM
Almost Out of 9 Lives

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
Got a new drive shaft - courtesy of the yota ranch and Joementum!!! Need to install it tomorrow, to see if my front diff is whack yo!

Oh and I need to fix my marker lights... Rich they went haywire again!

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Get your 4x4 VIDEO pr0n here
Quote:
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #20 of 4570 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 11:47 PM

Taped up the holes from my fender flares, till I finish painting them and take care of the rocker rust.

99 Explorer Sport
2.5" TT, 4 door leafs, Pro Comp add-a-leaf, front and rear sway-bar disconnects, 265/75/16 Guard Dogs.
post #21 of 4570 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 01:14 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysmachia View Post
Got a new drive shaft - courtesy of the yota ranch and Joementum!!! Need to install it tomorrow, to see if my front diff is whack yo!

Oh and I need to fix my marker lights... Rich they went haywire again!
12v test light them.... not a whole bunch can go wrong??? like seriously lol

post #22 of 4570 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 02:16 AM
Almost Out of 9 Lives

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks Rich! Now where the hell is the volt meter.....

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Get your 4x4 VIDEO pr0n here
Quote:
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #23 of 4570 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 02:18 AM
Veteran Member

I can't take credit for this, so I will give it Liberty toyota in Colorado Springs (off of Woodmen): I got the truck back from them today, they replaced the starter, squeaky leaf springs. They were suposed to replace the tranny mount also (TSB), but I guess they forgot and the service guy caught it in the paper work and told me to come back tomorrow. So goin home I see that the steering wheel is way to the left and on flat surfaces it goes to the left and also wonders alot. So some how they fucked my alignment and some how repositioned the steering wheel at the same time. Those F'ers did a great job didn't they!? And they weren't even suposed to do any thing that is related to any kind of steering components!

2008 Tacoma 4X4 TRD Rugged Trail
SAWS 2.0 front
Toyforda springs in rear
255/85/16 Cooper ST's,
cheap Harbor Freight 6" lights with HIDs,
KC slim lights with HIDs
home made On Board Air
CBI Sliders
Built Right UCAs
ATO Front Skid
post #24 of 4570 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotoy View Post
if its performance wheel and tire as long as they are the same tire then you are fine, they log that in the computer, thats it, though if the date code is way out then someone might snag it.... but i doubt it
Nah, Performance is only for the wheel and I haven't even called Discount yet. Tires are and will be through Discount.

- Brian
post #25 of 4570 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member

dropped off gears with thefatkid to get done. picked up a set of wheels for my 35s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00regcab View Post
See, my mom is actually good for something other than being a prostitute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devinsixtyseven View Post
allow me to help with the mind-fuck ...
post #26 of 4570 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member

Drove it to pick up my Hoodies from 4wd. They are comfy and warm. They came great 4wd. Nice work!

CoTacoTRD~07 DC TRD~3" ToyTech Coilovers~Bilstein 5100's ~ Goodyear Duratrac's 285/75/R16~Slee Sliders~Spidertrax Wheel Spacers~ Quick Air OBA~All Pro Skids~ARB Bumper~Custom Exhaust~Snorkel~Sol Tek Lights
post #27 of 4570 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 08:20 PM
4wd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoTacoTRD View Post
Drove it to pick up my Hoodies from 4wd. They are comfy and warm. They came great 4wd. Nice work!
THANKS man
post #28 of 4570 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member

Took it on some tight trails and hit a tree. Only scratched the front right bumper. It should buff right out.

2008 Tacoma 4X4 TRD Rugged Trail
SAWS 2.0 front
Toyforda springs in rear
255/85/16 Cooper ST's,
cheap Harbor Freight 6" lights with HIDs,
KC slim lights with HIDs
home made On Board Air
CBI Sliders
Built Right UCAs
ATO Front Skid
post #29 of 4570 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Started gathering up parts im not going to use or need to empty out the shop. Selling that place and moving it all home for a few weeks while i find a shop closer.

post #30 of 4570 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member

I looked at it with fondness and regret, as I closed the garage door this morning.

...But tonight I should be able to finish the right rear wiring harness, and start on the auxiliary light harnesses, if I don't go out.

Hoodies ready? Awesome!

'00 Project, constant state of (d)evolution

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode