CV Boot Carnage - TTORA Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 284
CV Boot Carnage

Damn sway bar nut came loose this weekend sometime and let the "bolt" part rub onto the cv boot and ripped 'er wide open. I've seen that downey had some "flexy" boots that last longer, will shops put on parts you bring to them? I'm not in the mood to get to changing this myself. Any other brands?
FattyB is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member
 
RedRunnertc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 15,035
How many miles?

How far/dusty have you driven it with the boot ripped or will before it's fixed?

Where I'm going with this is to recommend you replace the whole CV halfshaft. If grease can get out, dirt can get in. I would rather someone with the right tools and shop be rebuilding something like a CV than me trying to do it in a garage.

Former President - CO Chapter
Founding President - OH Chapter

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
RedRunnertc is offline  
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
 
99TanTaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Canal Fulton, Ohio
Posts: 3,646
plus it's way easier to just swap shafts than rebuild

if you go this way you can buy lifetime warranty cv's from most auto parts stores(Autozone, Advanced, Napa, etc) and never have to pay for this again
99TanTaco is offline  
post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
 
mrdoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Loveland, CO
Posts: 7,735
As for the boot itself, I am using the High Angle CV Boot Kit from ORS.

As for the CV and half shaft, I have my old ones left over from my manual hub conversion. But mine was an 02 Taco, not sure if they will work with your newer truck. Scott at ORS said there was some wear on the tulip joint but they weren't an emergency replacement. You're welcome to take a look and see if they'll work for you.

Also, if you're looking for a shop, I highly recommend ORS.

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
mrdoug is offline  
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member
 
RedRunnertc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 15,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99TanTaco View Post
plus it's way easier to just swap shafts than rebuild

if you go this way you can buy lifetime warranty cv's from most auto parts stores(Autozone, Advanced, Napa, etc) and never have to pay for this again
... and if there's anyone who knows cv carnage, it's Terry!

Former President - CO Chapter
Founding President - OH Chapter

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
RedRunnertc is offline  
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRunnertc View Post
How many miles?

How far/dusty have you driven it with the boot ripped or will before it's fixed?

Where I'm going with this is to recommend you replace the whole CV halfshaft. If grease can get out, dirt can get in. I would rather someone with the right tools and shop be rebuilding something like a CV than me trying to do it in a garage.
Miles? Maybe 25-35 so far, it happened saturday. All in city. Damn, the whole shaft is easier? How much is this stuff usually running $ ? Do you think the cv joint will be bad in a weeks time?
FattyB is offline  
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 11:05 PM
Veteran Member
 
RedRunnertc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 15,035
No, how many on the truck?

But, yes, if you drive in dusty/dirty conditions, the CV will not be long for this world with a ripped boot.

Former President - CO Chapter
Founding President - OH Chapter

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
RedRunnertc is offline  
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 11:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Blowntaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 435
There's a guy at my shop that went over a year with both axle boots blown with no problem at all, he finally changed them last month. Taco's actually do pretty well on cv axles.
Blowntaco is offline  
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRunnertc View Post
No, how many on the truck?

But, yes, if you drive in dusty/dirty conditions, the CV will not be long for this world with a ripped boot.
Truck has 97,500 mi. Got the nut back on the sway bar piece, so shouldn't have it ripping into the boot now, frekn nut caused all this trouble. Any ideas on what this typically costs? I know when I replaced these on my honda it was about $180.00 a side. About the same for toyotas? Guess I should start calling around.
FattyB is offline  
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 03:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Blowntaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 435
I'm saying that if your a little tight on money right now, and your gonna replace the axle anyway. You could go for a couple of months before you really have to worry about it, but hey what do I know
Blowntaco is offline  
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 284
10-4 might have to go a month. So definetely need to replace axel not just fix the boot, cause of the mileage
FattyB is offline  
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 04:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Blowntaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyB View Post
10-4 might have to go a month. So definetely need to replace axel not just fix the boot, cause of the mileage
Probably but not necessarily, depends on the amount of dirt that gets inside. It costs less to reboot them but more labor and you need to know what your doing. You can get axles from Napa thats where we get them for about $150-175 area.
Blowntaco is offline  
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 284
Anybody want some money to install a new cv axel? Might as well install a new one. Will shops install one you bring them?
FattyB is offline  
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 06:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Blowntaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 435
I could do it possibly this Thurs, or next Thurs.
Blowntaco is offline  
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
 
RedRunnertc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 15,035
It's something you NEED to learn to do if you're gonna wheel your truck... it sounds like Darryl is willing to show you how, I would take him up on it!

Former President - CO Chapter
Founding President - OH Chapter

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
RedRunnertc is offline  
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
 
Taco_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Winchester, CA
Posts: 1,369
Send a message via AIM to Taco_Man Send a message via Skype™ to Taco_Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRunnertc View Post
It's something you NEED to learn to do if you're gonna wheel your truck... it sounds like Darryl is willing to show you how, I would take him up on it!
And this has me interested because I now it will happen to me it just a mater of when. So if you guys do this on a weekend sometime can I sit in and help?

Mike
2007 Tacoma v6 4x4 TRD OFF-ROAD D-Cab
Donahoe Coilovers, All-Pro 3" Rear Lift w/Walker Evens, Demello Sliders, Locker Mod , 4 Rock Lights

To-Do
All-pro Plate Bumper, Custom Rear Plate Bumper, Custom Tire Rack ( must use bed rails ), Mount CO2, Repair Rock Lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
If you use them for lift, and wheel hard, you will crap steering parts like your truck ate a tierod/idler arm combo burrito at Casa Bonita.
Taco_Man is offline  
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 06:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Blowntaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyB View Post
Anybody want some money to install a new cv axel? Might as well install a new one. Will shops install one you bring them?
What truck do you have?
Blowntaco is offline  
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
 
fjcruzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 4,141
Look something like this



Gouged mine in Farmington last year with a broken link. Drove all the way home, no problem without the sway bar or boot. I would recommend a new/rebuilt shaft assembly, simple to replace and you can have your ripped one rebuilt so you have a spare. Definitely take up Daryll on his offer for a good learning experience and necessary trail repair knowledge.
fjcruzer is offline  
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 10:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Blowntaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcruzer View Post
Look something like this



Gouged mine in Farmington last year with a broken link. Drove all the way home, no problem without the sway bar or boot. I would recommend a new/rebuilt shaft assembly, simple to replace and you can have your ripped one rebuilt so you have a spare. Definitely take up Daryll on his offer for a good learning experience and necessary trail repair knowledge.
Definetely not something that I would want to or even need to do on a trail. They will last quite a long time before they go bad, as you found out when I told you not to do this and just drive it home. I totally understand your view of shit's broke and need to repair it especially when your a long way from home, but some things are better left alone and make due till you get to a better place to do the repair. Great advise on the repair to make a spare too. Never too many spare parts for a wheeler!!!! Thanks Eric for the pic and your input as well
Blowntaco is offline  
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member
 
fjcruzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 4,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowntaco View Post
Definetely not something that I would want to or even need to do on a trail. They will last quite a long time before they go bad, as you found out when I told you not to do this and just drive it home. I totally understand your view of shit's broke and need to repair it especially when your a long way from home, but some things are better left alone and make due till you get to a better place to do the repair. Great advise on the repair to make a spare too. Never too many spare parts for a wheeler!!!! Thanks Eric for the pic and your input as well
Yup, you were right on! I should have been more clear, I meant to say it would be great to know how to swap out the CV in case the shaft broke, not the boot. Leave it, drive home, replace as necessary
fjcruzer is offline  
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 11:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Blowntaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcruzer View Post
Yup, you were right on! I should have been more clear, I meant to say it would be great to know how to swap out the CV in case the shaft broke, not the boot. Leave it, drive home, replace as necessary
Right on, I just want you to think that I was being a jackass at any point.
Blowntaco is offline  
post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 01:41 AM
Veteran Member
 
motochain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: CO & AZ
Posts: 1,796
Send a message via MSN to motochain
They are fairly easy to replace as long as you have the right tools. Price wise for my Tundra, it was $70. That's with giving them my old one. I think if I didn't the price was like $90. This is for the whole shaft end to end with both boots.

Tundra-->35's--->IFS--->Armor--->Stuff

IFS--->D60, one of these days....

'03 T4R
motochain is offline  
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 04:26 AM
Veteran Member
 
fjcruzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 4,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowntaco View Post
Right on, I just want you to think that I was being a jackass at any point.
Nope, quite the contrary. I've only had the pleasure of seeing the CV replaced once on the trail, and could probably muddle through, but could use more detailed info as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motochain View Post
They are fairly easy to replace as long as you have the right tools. Price wise for my Tundra, it was $70. That's with giving them my old one. I think if I didn't the price was like $90. This is for the whole shaft end to end with both boots.
Lucky you, I think ours go for $225+ on a good day...
fjcruzer is offline  
post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 07:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Blowntaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcruzer View Post
Nope, quite the contrary. I've only had the pleasure of seeing the CV replaced once on the trail, and could probably muddle through, but could use more detailed info as well.




Sorry should have read "I didn't want you to think that I was being a jackass" I left a word out that changes what I said. Now I'm confused-it's pretty easy to to confuse me though
Blowntaco is offline  
post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
 
fjcruzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 4,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowntaco View Post
Sorry should have read "I didn't want you to think that I was being a jackass" I left a word out that changes what I said. Now I'm confused-it's pretty easy to to confuse me though
TFF! I missed that too, but it was 3 am and I was hacking up a lung. You do NOT resemble this guy on China Wall, lol. So when are we doing this CV thing? I want to learn how to do it right!

fjcruzer is offline  
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
 
mrdoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Loveland, CO
Posts: 7,735
Ditto. In fact, I'd pay to see it done at the charity HOW. But I'd watch for free too.

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
mrdoug is offline  
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 284
Darell (sp?), are you talking during the day or at night, I could get the axel by next thursday probably...I would take you up on the offer for instruction, of course I have no tools so we'd need someone's house/tools, too. LMK. Thanks!
FattyB is offline  
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcruzer View Post
Look something like this



Gouged mine in Farmington last year with a broken link. Drove all the way home, no problem without the sway bar or boot. I would recommend a new/rebuilt shaft assembly, simple to replace and you can have your ripped one rebuilt so you have a spare. Definitely take up Daryll on his offer for a good learning experience and necessary trail repair knowledge.
Did you snap a pic of my axle? LOL, ya mine looks just as bad, sh*t everywhere. Looks like we might need to do this on a weekend with all the people wanting to know what to do. Darell, please keep me updated, if you're available (not sure if there is another HOW coming up soon) to come to the next HOW I could wait till then. Thanks
FattyB is offline  
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 10:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Blowntaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 435
Would like to do this at my work as it is so much easier, tools, gear oils etc...
Blowntaco is offline  
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member
 
fjcruzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 4,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowntaco View Post
Would like to do this at my work as it is so much easier, tools, gear oils etc...
Me thinks if you say where and when I think we'll try to accommodate; assuming spectators welcome?
fjcruzer is offline  
Reply
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carnage 11-10 neliconcept Past Events – Photos 25 11-15-2007 09:38 PM
Carnage 9-11-07 Ric Past Events – Photos 25 09-16-2007 11:13 AM
Carnage Angus1 Past Events 2 08-05-2007 08:28 PM
carnage pimptoy Past Events – Photos 4 07-26-2006 10:28 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome