Why NOT to buy a reman CV - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Why NOT to buy a reman CV

Watch this guy remanufactuer a CV joint. Note the precision re-grinding of the races.

CV joint remanufacturing

2004 Tacoma Reg Cab, armor, lockers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

What do you mean there's score marks on the spline? That couldn't have come from our shop, this is a hi-tech machine shop, you probably did that after you received it. You didn't put it in a vice did you?

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 10:36 AM

ive ran remaned cv. and never had a problem. hell mine have liftime warranty so boot rippes or makes noises. i just get a new one for free. 100 bucks for remaned with liftime warranty or 400 from toyota with no warranty. i would love to get one from toy.but the boots are going to rip if you have a lift, and im not paying 800 bucks every one to two years. i say buy the remaned cv
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

"Here's a ball path in terrible condition, it's been ground out before..." near 1:17.

And I just love how he hammers in the balls with a steel ball-peen hammer. (Hell, I guess they went by the name of the tool!)

On a serious note, I found out today that swapping your CV shafts from side-to-side after 50k miles will actually double their wear-life. Turns out the balls skid (not roll) along the paths on the thrust side. Swapping sides changes to a new wear path. Does not help prevent breakage, which is where we tend to lose ours.

But swapping sides is easy and free if you are pulling the front diff for any reason.

Can you tell I'm trying to learn about CVs this morning? I never had a vehicle with 'em before...

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajax View Post
ive ran remaned cv. and never had a problem. hell mine have liftime warranty so boot rippes or makes noises. i just get a new one for free. 100 bucks for remaned with liftime warranty or 400 from toyota with no warranty. i would love to get one from toy.but the boots are going to rip if you have a lift, and im not paying 800 bucks every one to two years. i say buy the remaned cv
x2 - hell, I've been known to just replace them "just cuz" ...

Former President - CO Chapter
Founding President - OH Chapter

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member

CVJ has a good product. The boots they use tend to outlast the stock boots in higher lift applications.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I got a new CV shaft from Parts Plus in Moab for $100. No lifetime free replacements, though.

I think it was Carquest in Moab wanted $120 for the shaft, but an extra $89 for the core charge. Since I wa sbuying a spare I had no core.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member

Oh come awn, that video has got to be a joke...I just cannot believe that's how it's really done!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinsixtyseven View Post
Oh come awn, that video has got to be a joke...I just cannot believe that's how it's really done!
Unfortunately I think it's for real!

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to 00regcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_G View Post
Unfortunately I think it's for real!
it also looks like a machine shop/video quality from the late 80's-early 90's.

Id believe that whole 'swap side' gimmick, except for about 40% of the vehicles out there with CV's, dont have the same length/size/spline type (male/female) on both sides, so its not possible to do so.

I dunno, just seems fishy to me, as 98% of CV's fail due to ripped boots, or just flat out break (whether it be at the splines, the cv joint itself, or the shaft). Not because they're just flat out old, my old accord had 232k miles on it (when i got it), still driving on the original honda CV's (i know this because my parents bought the car new in 87, it was an 88) with no abnormal noises, vibrations or anything of that sort.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefatkid View Post
CVJ has a good product. The boots they use tend to outlast the stock boots in higher lift applications.
X2. They do make a good quality cv product, I have no problem at all of using reman cv axles. As far as the video goes I know for a fact that it is how its done, if you have ever had the ball come out or had to take them apart for any reason you would understand why you might want to use a hammer to get them back in. I think it looks like he's really hitting them hard to get them in but don't really think he is. This is just my I've seen and done it personally
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I don't doubt you have to use a hammer to get the balls in. I'd be using a hardened brass hammer, though.

It's the quality of the machining that gets me!

Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode