CV Boot Clip? - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

CV Boot Clip?

So I got home from wheeling today and kinda noticed that my CV boot grease was flinging everywhere under my truck. The boots arn't cracked at all but I noticed that one of the little silver clips that clip on to each end of the boot was missing (see pictures attached). What should I do about this? I have never had to deal with the cv boots. Can I refill the boots with grease or...? And where can I find another clip?

Thanks Again,
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00407.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	14598   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00410.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	14599  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 09:16 AM
ike
Veteran Member

you can refill the boots with grease, and replace the clip, but it would be more labor intensive and messy than just replacing the cv's. how many miles are on them? May want to just replace these ones, and keep them for trail spares in the future.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
you can refill the boots with grease, and replace the clip, but it would be more labor intensive and messy than just replacing the cv's. how many miles are on them? May want to just replace these ones, and keep them for trail spares in the future.

Well I got about 160,000miles, but the boots have no cracks or anything in them. How much would a new cv joint cost and are they fairly hard to get in there. And also it didnt look liike to much grease had flung out, would I just be able to throw on a clip and call it good?

Dan
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 02:34 PM
Eats Own Boogers

It doesn't look like you lost much grease at all. I've always had good luck using hose clamps on my CV boots. Open up the clamp rather than removing the CV axle. I would forgo trying to add additional grease. Removing the wheel will make access much easier, but I strongly suggest using a jack stand for support and not just a jack.

Tesla > Edison
2011 Tundra 4X4 RCSB 5.7L
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 03:34 PM

Send a message via MSN to hurley842002 Send a message via Yahoo to hurley842002
x2 on the hose clamp. I've done it before and it works just fine.

1986 4runner:
Custom front winch bumper/smittybuilt XRC8000
Aftermarket rear shackles
31" mt's
Auxilary lighting
Rear Detroit

1999 Jeep Cherokee: 3.5" Rubicon Express Superflex, 32" Bfg At's.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 04:03 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to blackmamba
also make damn sure the boot is intact. stretch it and pull it around to make sure the edge is still in one piece. hairline cracks are pretty sneaky. otherwise, the hose clamp is an easy, cheap fix. if you really want to give a squeeze of the old grease gun in there. can't hurt.

when life pees on you, make pee soup... wait a minute...

Last edited by blackmamba; 07-20-2008 at 04:04 PM. Reason: missed half of sentence
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member

x4 on the hose clamp, but just remember that if grease can get out, most likely dirt can get in, and you MAY need a new CV in the future.

Former President - CO Chapter
Founding President - OH Chapter

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade View Post
It doesn't look like you lost much grease at all. I've always had good luck using hose clamps on my CV boots. Open up the clamp rather than removing the CV axle. I would forgo trying to add additional grease. Removing the wheel will make access much easier, but I strongly suggest using a jack stand for support and not just a jack.

Well Thanks everybody. I wasn't to sure if those clamps popped off all the time or not, and if a hose clamp would do the job. But it looks like it happens quite often. I think I might just test the CV and listen for pops and sounds, and ill add grease, otherwise i'll just slap on a clamp and call it good till they start cracking, they are 160,000 miles old!

Thanks, Dan
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

CV Boot

So the boot was cracked in the back a little. Do you think I should replace the both cv joints, left and right, since in at 160,000 or do you think I should just get the boots replaced. And also how many miles can I go before I need to get them replaced?

Dan
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member

You can buy a boot kit and do it yourself, but still have to remove the CV. The CVs are not hard to swap out. I'd be inclined to buy two new ones, pop them in, rebuild the old ones and have two spares, but I'm a geek. There are also a couple of shops in Denver that rebuild CVs for not too much money.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcruzer View Post
You can buy a boot kit and do it yourself, but still have to remove the CV. The CVs are not hard to swap out. I'd be inclined to buy two new ones, pop them in, rebuild the old ones and have two spares, but I'm a geek. There are also a couple of shops in Denver that rebuild CVs for not too much money.
So I would just need to replace the boots, if I didnt want spares. Do the CV joints and axle get worn out, or do the just need to be cleaned filled with new grease and then re-booted.

THanks, Dan
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 08:12 PM
ike
Veteran Member

the joints wear like any other moving part, but if kept clean and lubed they should be fine. For the labor involved why not just buy new ones though

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmasta182 View Post
So I would just need to replace the boots, if I didnt want spares. Do the CV joints and axle get worn out, or do the just need to be cleaned filled with new grease and then re-booted.

THanks, Dan
You're welcome Dan,

Yup, if you just want to keep what you have the boots can be replaced. The logic we crazy wheelers have is that since you have to remove the CV to replace the boots anyway, it's worth the cash to put in a new one and have the old as a spare. It also gets you back on the road right away since you need a couple of special tools or a shop to replace the boots (and it's kinda messy.) I believe you can get an aftermarket CV for your rig for <$100, some with a lifetime warranty, but I'd check with someone with the same rig and see what they've got.

As Isaac said, the CVs do wear like any other part, but if they are maintained they have that Toyota longevity!

Eric
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode