Suspension work saturday - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to 00regcab
Suspension work saturday

Saturday I'm going to be doing some work on my rear suspension, basically just tearing it all apart to inspect it and put it back together.Theres something goofy going on somewhere in the rear end and it just doesnt feel half as stable as it used to. I'll probably end up switching the drivers side leaf spring to the passenger side to try to start getting the (now) passenger side (will be driver spring) to sag down to where the (current) drivers side is now.

I think one of the springs within the pack may be cracked, but I'm not 100% sure on this. I'm also planning on going over everything under the truck and checking all bolts/nuts to make sure they're all tight. If someone has a grease gun I can borrow for the day that would be awesome, I need to grease all my u-joints and such as well.

I also found out, even the non-trd tacoma's are wired for a locker. My problem, is the harness that runs from my cab to my locker wont plug into the factory harness for some reason. I'm not sure if I am missnig a section of the harness or what the deal is, but if someone with a TRD could stop by and let me pull their driver seat out, and pull the carpet up it would be greatly appreciated so I can get my locker working before lead king/schofield/etc.

Anybodys welcome to stop by, I plan to start around 10am as I need to have it all back together and driveable by 4 so I can get it down to mountain states toyota. I have a friend that works there as a lube tech so hes going to drain/fill/flush all of my fluids for me for pretty much free (only have to pay for power steering fluid, anti-freeze, and an oil filter) that evening.

PM me for directions/address if you're interested in stopping by to lend a hand or just hang out, there will probably be some BBQ goin on... just some basic stuff (burgers/dogs).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member

that'll be two of us under our trucks ...

Former President - CO Chapter
Founding President - OH Chapter

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry I forgot to call you back last weekend, you're still welcome to come rip mine up, but I'll be working around the house this weekend, can't make it down.

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 07:16 PM
ike
Veteran Member

Gotta work on saturday, so i wont be able to make this. May be down your way on sunday though, but we will have to see.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member

Are you finally going to get some longer shocks while you're at it? Might as well... Loading down the back of your truck with as much weight as possible just to reconnect the fully extended shocks was not fun...
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Not going to get longer shocks yet, i need a CB before next weekend. So my funds will be going there.

Next on the list is 255/85 trxus mt's, and 16" wheels. Probably just going to pickup the OE wheels doug has.

Longer shocks will go on before moab.... i hope.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 04:08 PM
ike
Veteran Member

Do you think your shocks are limiting travel? They are made for those springs arnt they?

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
07 Ninja 650R
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I know my shocks are limiting travel. After we disconnected the shocks, the whole axle dropped at least another 4"

- - going to be running up to Johnsons Corner to pickup a CB and such. I'm sure i can get a few things cheaper elsewhere, but I need the stuff before next weekend. Any other good, affortable places?
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 05:11 PM
ike
Veteran Member

I was also planning on hitting up the cb shop by johnsons corner this week.

On compression what stops your travel. I am sure i could get more droop, but with that you need more compression on the other side of the axle to accomodate it. I currently hit sheetmetal and that is what stops my up travel, so adding more droop would likely not improve flex at all. Just my thoughts on it though.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
07 Ninja 650R
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Springs limit compression travel. They wont go any more negative lol.
I think the shock is also bottomed out, but im nowhere near the bump stop, and the tire doesnt rub.
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 11:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
I am sure i could get more droop, but with that you need more compression on the other side of the axle to accomodate it. ... so adding more droop would likely not improve flex at all. Just my thoughts on it though.
Yeah, doesn't exactly work that way. You can continue to droop the axle after hitting the compression stop, but the corner of the truck that has hit the stop is going up, and there isn't as much pressure on the drooping wheel, so it doesn't do as much good. IMHO, compression travel is WAY more important than droop travel.

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 05:41 AM
ike
Veteran Member

I agree with that, and that is why i am hesitante to put bump stops on my truck to keep if out of the sheet metal. Right now, it just barely hits and isnt doing any damage.

Nate, i am amazed you dont hit the front of your rear wheel well, as you have the same tire diameter/rear springs as i do. And i dont think the stock bump stops will line up with our springs either, so that shouldnt ever limit your up travel.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
07 Ninja 650R
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 08:29 PM
Almost Out of 9 Lives

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
How did the day go Nate?

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Get your 4x4 VIDEO pr0n here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Didnt get much done, woke up with a raging headache this morning so i slept most of the day.

I picked up a CB and such and got it all installed, just need to get it tuned and dialed in, who do i need to talk to, to get this done?

Tomorrow me and a buddy are going to tear apart the rear suspension and my current plan is just swap the drivers side spring to the passenger side (if the spring packs are OK, no cracks or anything) and see what happens with it.

I still need to look at a TRD and find out why my locker harness wont plug into the cab harness, see if im just looking for the wrong plug, or what the deal is.

I'll be wrenching tomorrow. Text/call me if you want to stop by.

seven too 0 nine 5 won twentythree three 5
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Chalkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92regcab View Post
I picked up a CB and such and got it all installed, just need to get it tuned and dialed in, who do i need to talk to, to get this done?
All you really need to tune a CB is an SWR meter. I have one, so maybe if you haven't got it done by whenever the next South HOW is, I can bring it along to there.
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalkie View Post
All you really need to tune a CB is an SWR meter. I have one, so maybe if you haven't got it done by whenever the next South HOW is, I can bring it along to there.
I have one too - shouldn't take long to tune it. I'll be working on my truck all day also.

NOTE: I highly recommend you leave the CB OFF until you tune it. If your SWR is really out of whack and try to transmit, it can f* up your CB.

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 12:46 PM
Almost Out of 9 Lives

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
Hey Nate, sorry we can't come help. We are totally cranking on Troy's 4link today... Progress is coming along!

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Quote:
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRunnertc View Post
I have one too - shouldn't take long to tune it. I'll be working on my truck all day also.

NOTE: I highly recommend you leave the CB OFF until you tune it. If your SWR is really out of whack and try to transmit, it can f* up your CB.
I havent had it on much, i dicked with it for maybe 5-10 minutes total.

Sorry i didnt get back earlier, or i would of swung up there and helped you guys out and maybe got my CB dialed in.

Springs still didnt get swapped, the drivers side bolt on the hanger (front one) is seized, soaked it in pb blaster, liquid wrench, and tried heating it, couldnt get it to break loose. But just from taking everything apart, i didnt find anything abnormal, and now that it's all back together and everything is re-torqued the rear end feels A LOT better. I'll be re-checking everything friday before again to make sure its all still tight.

Troy, would you have time for me to swing by sometime tomorrow evening (probably 7:30-8ish, or another day this week?) and get my CB situated?
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 11:52 PM
Almost Out of 9 Lives

Quote:
Troy, would you have time for me to swing by sometime tomorrow evening (probably 7:30-8ish, or another day this week?) and get my CB situated?
Nate anytime this week should work at that time as Troy will be home working on shizzy. Just call him or me or the HOW North ahead to make sure

I'll cook steak if ya come by

Molly
aka Lysmachia

Quote:
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member

Yep, no problem.

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
..., soaked it in pb blaster, liquid wrench, and tried heating it, couldnt get it to break loose.
Somebody told me (Troy?) that heat + PB Blaster = bad situation. Something about the chemical make up of PB Blaster when heated really locks it up.

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, at Takeover in Farmington, we were talking to Gadget and he was saying he tried using PB on header bolts one time and they got practically welded in there.

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I should of been more specific as to the order.

I tried heat with no luck

then pb blaster/liquid wrench (after it had cooled down), still with no luck.

Molly, i'll be calling you here shortly
post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member

That sleeve is probably fused to the bolt. I cut mine, got new bushings and sleeves, and got a brand new grade 8 bolt from Ace Hardware. Made life much easier. Looking at the cross section of the bolt and sleeve, there was no way in hell that was freeing up. Looked like a solid piece all the way through.
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Thats what happened with mine, but sunday afternoon, nobody was open to get a new bushing so i just said eff it.
post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 05:35 PM
ike
Veteran Member

Troy, I just got a CB also. May be giving you a call to tune the antena if possible sometime this week.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
07 Ninja 650R
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Something that just dawned on me, losing power to the CB wont mess with the tuning will it?

I dont think it would since its antenna related, but even last night on the highway i couldnt pick up ANYTHING... not too sure whats going on with it.
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 06:39 PM
ike
Veteran Member

guy at the cb shop today told me to make sure that the antena isnt shorting to the mount. A guess that is a common problem, that causes you to completly loose your range.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
07 Ninja 650R
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member

No problem, come on by. Even if I'm not here, the directions are in the box ...

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
guy at the cb shop today told me to make sure that the antena isnt shorting to the mount. A guess that is a common problem, that causes you to completly loose your range.
makes sense... how exactly would you go about figuring that out though? lol...

i just want to make sure i can get a signal from somebody before the run this weekend
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode