Driveline Clunk? - TTORA Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Driveline Clunk?

I have had (since i got the truck a year ago) a "clunk" from the driveline. Feels like the driveshaft has play in it or it kinda catches and releases at stoplights. This is only when i come to a stop, mostly harder stops, and then when eccelerating from the stop. Someone on the run on yankee (sorry forgot who) said to put some grease in the yoke (or that grovey area on the driveshaft where the two pieces come together. What type greese should i use? Just reg. automotive greese? Anyone else had a similiar issue? Thanks!

Note: truck is 2.7L-auto (no laughing), with no mods to rearend or suspension.

2001 reg. cab 2.7 taco-destroyed
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Send a message via AIM to 00regcab
could be axle wrap as well.

just use a standard grease for u-joints, wheel bearings, etc.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Yep - I use the red MP grease. You shoot it into the zerks - there will be one at each u-joint and one on the driveshaft itself for the slip yoke. You only need ~5 pumps on the grease gun for the slipyoke - you don't want to see it coming out - waaaay too full then!

My vote is a bad u-joint though.

Former President - CO Chapter
Founding President - OH Chapter

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Check out pix at
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member
I agree with Troy on the u-joint idea. Get under there and start trying to twist all of the joints. I have a feeling you will find one with some play.

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2009, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member
Common issue with auto trucks. you need to do a couple of things to make it less clunky.

1. adjust your rear brake shoes, if your brake bellcrank (parking brake cable arm) on the backing plate moves over 1/8" adjust your brakes till it only moves 1/8" when the parking brake is applied.

2. remove your driveshaft, mark your "phase" of the slipyolk, seperate the slipyolk, clean all the old grease out and inspect the splines, if there is a sharp edge on the tip of the splines file them down smooth and rounded, find the best molybased grease and lube the shaft, line up all your marks and reassemble, grease all your u-joints, grease the slipyolk through the zerk being carefull no to add too much and put the splines in hydrolock, drive and see how it feels.

If that doesn't work you might need a rebuild for spline wear.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2009, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
I had the same problem. Driveline would make a metallic clunk whenever you put it in gear. Fixed a blown U-joint and its gone.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Originally Posted by ziggy428 View Post
I had the same problem. Driveline would make a metallic clunk whenever you put it in gear. Fixed a blown U-joint and its gone.
Hmmm sounds like it. It's rarely audioble (sp?), mostly just "felt" through the driveline. U-joint sounds like a likely culprit. Thanks guys, time to start twisting some things down there huh? Are U-joints fairly easy to repair by the layman? Anybody remember a approx. cost of the u-joint. Thanks!

2001 reg. cab 2.7 taco-destroyed
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member
Send a message via AIM to Taco_Man Send a message via Skype™ to Taco_Man
I don't know about price but if you don't mind having some one else do them with a bit of a drive I would check with Ron at Boulder Driveline.

2007 Tacoma v6 4x4 TRD OFF-ROAD D-Cab
Donahoe Coilovers, All-Pro 3" Rear Lift w/Walker Evens, Demello Sliders, Locker Mod , 4 Rock Lights

All-pro Plate Bumper, Custom Rear Plate Bumper, Custom Tire Rack ( must use bed rails ), Mount CO2, Repair Rock Lights.

Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
If you use them for lift, and wheel hard, you will crap steering parts like your truck ate a tierod/idler arm combo burrito at Casa Bonita.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 01:21 PM
Almost Out of 9 Lives
Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
I would have a pro do the u-joint or at least someone who has done it before. (It involves a BFH and maybe some small prybars if you are gonna do it on your own). If you need a repair and we can't help take it to Ron at Boulder Drive Line. Tell him you are with TTORA. Pay cash and it seems to be cheaper.

aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Get your 4x4 VIDEO pr0n here
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode