Sliders! - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Sliders!

So I ordered some rock sliders today - hopefully they'll ship in a week and I'll have them the following week. I'm posting this because they are weld-on - and I was hoping someone would lend a hand welding them... I don't have any welding equipment unfortunately, so it would probably be more like me helping them work on my truck lol! Not sure when the next HOW is or if welding would be a part of that... but anybody willing to help me out, I'm sure there's plenty of good beer and pizza in it for 'em! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 01:17 AM
Almost Out of 9 Lives

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
Troy does this often for folks, but he does ask that you donate $$ for welding materials (copper wire, etc)

We are at I-25 and CO 119 (Longmont exit) if you are interested.

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Get your 4x4 VIDEO pr0n here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 02:16 AM
Veteran Member

Too bad they're not coming in next week ... I have all week off from work...

Former President - CO Chapter
Founding President - OH Chapter

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 02:05 PM

If you can't find anyone before May 7th, I can help you with them. Unfortunately I will be busy and in and out of town until then. After that I will be free after work and on weekends. I have a welder and a garage and eveything else we would need.
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 04:51 PM
Almost Out of 9 Lives

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
Um May 7th has come and gone Do you mean June 7th?

Troy and I can definitally help you, just don't know where you live...so I am not sure if we are near or far for you!

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Quote:
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member

Troy needs to open a slider welding shop

04 Tacoma DC 4x4 - E-Locker - Camburg 2.5's - RevengeFab Sliders - Badlands Bumper
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 11:24 PM

Yeah--- June 7th. If only I could go back in time....coach would put me in....
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 01:57 AM
Almost Out of 9 Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sucka View Post
Troy needs to open a slider welding shop
He already has!

Molly
aka Lysmachia

Quote:
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member

I wonder if he can also open up a welding school while he is at it. Or at least an apprenticeship. I need to learn some more about welding.

CoTacoTRD~07 DC TRD~3" ToyTech Coilovers~Bilstein 5100's ~ Goodyear Duratrac's 285/75/R16~Slee Sliders~Spidertrax Wheel Spacers~ Quick Air OBA~All Pro Skids~ARB Bumper~Custom Exhaust~Snorkel~Sol Tek Lights
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 08:45 AM
Almost Out of 9 Lives

I dunno, ask him *grin* - we all took a basic welding class a year ago from General Air and that's what got him started. He's getting pretty good too!

Molly
aka Lysmachia

Quote:
post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysmachia View Post
Troy does this often for folks, but he does ask that you donate $$ for welding materials (copper wire, etc)

We are at I-25 and CO 119 (Longmont exit) if you are interested.
well that's not exactly *close* (I'm in Englewood, Swedish hospital area) but I don't mind driving. And materials for the job I wouldn't mind payin for! I'll let you know when I get them in... I think I want to either paint them or like rhino/hercu-liner them or something - any opinions on this? Maybe even just some grip tape hrm.... I'm also assuming this would be best decided before we weld 'em on lol!
post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member

Rattle can is the best idea. People have them powder coated, etc... they look great till you actually use them on a rock, then you got a scrape that you need to cover. You then wish you had that money back while you're covering up the bare steel with some spray paint.

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to 00regcab
Spray paint, with grip tape on the top sides would be the way to go.
post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00regcab View Post
yea i was thinking this would be it. i'm certainly NOT going to get it powdercoated (revenge-fab won't even do it, powdercoating usually gets screwed even on shipping let alone rock rash...) so that spray-on rhino liner or herculiner whatever would be a bad idea? i thought it might work pretty well... black spray paint and grip tape would probably be fine, i just thought the rhino liner would double with that and be consistent all the way 'round any reason this is a bad idea? i'd definitely like to hear from any experience here! i've never owned rock sliders let alone a 4wd vehicle before
post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 11:50 PM
Veteran Member

As doug said, rhino liner/line-x, etc. is VERY costly (they want $500 to do my 3ft long 4ft wide bed, its ridiculous) and you're just going to be scratching it off

NOTHING will hold up to rocks, the rock will always win (paint wise) so its best to go the cheapest route (99c wal mart spray paint) then touch them up once a year, i usually do mine just before each winter.
post #16 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
As doug said, rhino liner/line-x, etc. is VERY costly (they want $500 to do my 3ft long 4ft wide bed, its ridiculous) and you're just going to be scratching it off

NOTHING will hold up to rocks, the rock will always win (paint wise) so its best to go the cheapest route (99c wal mart spray paint) then touch them up once a year, i usually do mine just before each winter.

yea, i haven't looked into what the spray-on rhino liner whatever costs. i was going to do it myself tho... meh, spray paint is cheap, and the grip tape shouldn't get too torn up being topside. i'll look into prices just to see, but i'll probably end up going this route. thanks for the input, i appreciate it!

and Lysmachia - assuming you're still up for it, I'll let you know when I get my sliders in and I'll roll up to your place and get 'em welded on! I'm excited!!
post #17 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

There is some spray on 'non-slip' paint. I tried it on my front/rear bumper and can say that after 2-3 coats it starts to feel about like powder coat (ie, the grip stuff doesn't really stand out). I wouldn't suggest it since I thought it was a wasted effort, but you might like it... it's a personal preference. The grip tape is probably a better route to go if you really want something on the paint to use as a step.

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
post #18 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
So I ordered some rock sliders today - hopefully they'll ship in a week and I'll have them the following week. I'm posting this because they are weld-on - and I was hoping someone would lend a hand welding them... I don't have any welding equipment unfortunately, so it would probably be more like me helping them work on my truck lol! Not sure when the next HOW is or if welding would be a part of that... but anybody willing to help me out, I'm sure there's plenty of good beer and pizza in it for 'em! Thanks!
what company did you order your sliders? How much were they?

97 Tacoma ext cab. 3.4 V6, 5spd, 4.88's Kazuma lsd rear, Bilstein adjustable's 2.5" lift up front, Skyjacker 3" rear, All Pro uca's, Skid row armor, FROR rear bumper, BFG km2's 255/85/16.
post #19 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBlanca97 View Post
what company did you order your sliders? How much were they?
revenge-fab.com... I am a member on other Tacoma sites (this was from TacomaWorld) and I don't know how much of a d/c he gave me, but it was like $230 shipped w/kickouts. He makes them able to be bolted on, for an extra $120. the kickouts were like an extra $25. we'll see how far they stick out when they come in, i may or may not regret the kickouts. either way, should be sweet tho!

btw, if you have the $$$, get slee's sliders. i just didn't feel like dropping $900+ on sliders lol.
post #20 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

I'm running revenge-fab sliders myself, he does good work. Run spray paint, you'll be touching them up a lot.

If Troy helps you weld them on he'll know what to look for, but be aware that the legs did not line up with the frame properly. The frame curve at the front and therefore the front leg was about 1/4" to short. Just something for you to be aware of.

04 Tacoma DC 4x4 - E-Locker - Camburg 2.5's - RevengeFab Sliders - Badlands Bumper
post #21 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sucka View Post
I'm running revenge-fab sliders myself, he does good work. Run spray paint, you'll be touching them up a lot.

If Troy helps you weld them on he'll know what to look for, but be aware that the legs did not line up with the frame properly. The frame curve at the front and therefore the front leg was about 1/4" to short. Just something for you to be aware of.
good to know! i think that troy'll definitely be involved (so long as he's OK with it...) as i don't know squat about welding or sliders for that matter.
post #22 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 03:05 PM
Dun DUn DUN!

if you do decide to try and do herculiner..... check out a product called durabak.... like nate said, pretty much nothing will hold up to rocks. but this stuff is pretty decent ( stayed on the door panel after its encounter with a rock.... dragged about 4 inches...) and you can order it with UV protectant and it holds up pretty well....

but might as well stick with the spraypaint.... duplicolor bumper paint seems to hold up really good... only scratches and no paint pop....

99 Taco with 5 inches of lift and some toys....
12 Jetta TDI that the wife commandeered
03 Silverado tow pig double extra long green edition
post #23 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
revenge-fab.com... I am a member on other Tacoma sites (this was from TacomaWorld) and I don't know how much of a d/c he gave me, but it was like $230 shipped w/kickouts. He makes them able to be bolted on, for an extra $120. the kickouts were like an extra $25. we'll see how far they stick out when they come in, i may or may not regret the kickouts. either way, should be sweet tho!

btw, if you have the $$$, get slee's sliders. i just didn't feel like dropping $900+ on sliders lol.
I was just curious, I bought mine from trail gear. $250 delivered. It's definately a good price but they are made from HREW steel which is not as strong as DOM tubing. They should be plenty stout for my style of wheeling.

97 Tacoma ext cab. 3.4 V6, 5spd, 4.88's Kazuma lsd rear, Bilstein adjustable's 2.5" lift up front, Skyjacker 3" rear, All Pro uca's, Skid row armor, FROR rear bumper, BFG km2's 255/85/16.
post #24 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBlanca97 View Post
I was just curious, I bought mine from trail gear. $250 delivered. It's definately a good price but they are made from HREW steel which is not as strong as DOM tubing. They should be plenty stout for my style of wheeling.

+1 on good price and DOM tubing. mine's HREW as well, and based on everything I've been reading that's plenty unless you're building a rock-crawler specific rig and are willing pony up the extra $$$. let me know how your sliders turn out!
post #25 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 07:29 PM
Almost Out of 9 Lives

Yeah Troy and I can help you when you are ready!

Molly
aka Lysmachia

Quote:
post #26 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

I love my Slee's. Wouldn't trade them for nothing. I also glad I got them on the first production run and only paid $750.00

CoTacoTRD~07 DC TRD~3" ToyTech Coilovers~Bilstein 5100's ~ Goodyear Duratrac's 285/75/R16~Slee Sliders~Spidertrax Wheel Spacers~ Quick Air OBA~All Pro Skids~ARB Bumper~Custom Exhaust~Snorkel~Sol Tek Lights
post #27 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member

It's all preference

Kick outs, no kick outs?
Square or round? or both mixed?

Personally, i love my ORS square tube, tilt sliders. But i hate armor in the sense that it looks horrid (no two ways about it), so the tighter in it is, and the cleaner more simple it is, the better, in my opinion.

My ors square tube sliders are 2x2, .250 wall on at least the legs, not 100% positive what the main tube is, but they've taken one hell of a beating.
post #28 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
I welded on some small sections of expanded metal to the top of the sliders for grip and it works great - I think that the grip tape woud need replacing ever so often - but it might be easier to do.

post #29 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 10:21 PM
Dun DUn DUN!

thats kinda a cool idea.... i like the expanded metal. about an inch wide strip?

99 Taco with 5 inches of lift and some toys....
12 Jetta TDI that the wife commandeered
03 Silverado tow pig double extra long green edition
post #30 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoTacoTRD View Post
I love my Slee's. Wouldn't trade them for nothing. I also glad I got them on the first production run and only paid $750.00
yea, that's still a little much for me. but they are very nice sliders, i must say! i kinda wish i would've ponied up for 'em, but i'm sure the revenge-fab ones will look good and perform great. i just wish they were here already, ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by packrat1
I welded on some small sections of expanded metal to the top of the sliders for grip and it works great - I think that the grip tape woud need replacing ever so often - but it might be easier to do.
this sounds intriguing... i don't have any welding talent so i'll probably just end up painting 'em with grip tape, although that is definitely unique! do you have any *closeup* pics?
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode