need a reasonable mechanic or a member willing to assist - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

need a reasonable mechanic or a member willing to assist

I have worn lower ball joints and worn upper and lower control arm bushings on my 2001 Tacoma. I checked and my truck is not covered under the recall for the lower ball joints. I will also need a tire balance and alignment after those are replaced. I have some skills and an air compressor with some tools, but don't have a press. I recently helped my brother replace his rear wheel bearings on his 99 Tacoma, when I was back in West Virginia and not having a press was a pain, but we got it done.

So the stealership, said no go for the recall and estimated the cost to be about a grand. It sounds like at least half of that is for labor. It is kind of dissapointing since they say that both of these problems are rare. I am located in Boulder (Gunbarrel), and would appreciate any help you all may have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member

You don't need a press for the ball joints or control arms. I have a very worn but still working tool I used specifically for the 50J recall. If you want you can use it. The control arms are a little more involved but still pretty easy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
I would appreciate if you would find the nearest firearm, shove it in your mouth, and pull the trigger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes
Seriously, quit stalking me. I'm shy and violent.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member

I have one of those 2jaw ball joint "presses" that I just used to replace the steering relay rod (again). You can't be too far from Molly if you're in gunbarrel...

When do you want to do it?

Former President - CO Chapter
Founding President - OH Chapter

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 12:49 AM
The Last Marshall

Send a message via AIM to DriftinCO
One or more of our members are Toyota techs...contact me for details.

Over 50 years of quality products.
http://http://www.amway.com/
BrianKellyGauck
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Thanks for the input. Yeah I have been thinking and plan to do it myself, it can't be too hard. So I was thinking of working on it not this weekend but next. A little more time for net research and gathering the tools and parts needed.

I could have sworn I read an article on how the bushings had to be pressed into the control arms, but I guess I could be wrong. If they do, I am just gonna take them to a shop real quick to have that done and do all the other labor myself.

I really appreciate all the kindness and volunteering of tools. I will get back to you all later this week after I gain a little more knowledge of what I really need.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member

Look around for an online copy of the FSM. I think Mike (in NorCal) has posted several.

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 12:55 PM
Jager Meister

http://www.deserted1.com/FSM/

TacoLess
Insanity runs in my family!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I am getting ready to order the bushings and lower ball joints. Does anyone have a good website or local place that you like?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member

For factory parts, you can't beat trdparts4u. They are big supporters of TTORA.

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fondigley
I am getting ready to order the bushings and lower ball joints. Does anyone have a good website or local place that you like?
I could get the ball joints easily... but if your doing the bushings that's a lot more involved. But if they are going to charge you extra for the ball joints I'll throw them in... that's gravy work

Quote:
I would appreciate if you would find the nearest firearm, shove it in your mouth, and pull the trigger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I am preparing a list of tools and parts that I need to complete this job tonight from net articles and the manual. If anyone has done this job or is a tech, that could give a little input on all the stuff required for this, I would really appreciate this.

Redrun, thanks I have checked them out. Think I seen them on Yotatech too.

Sexy(dot), Did I read a while back that you are a tech? I would like to know more. And yes I am planning on replacing the lower ball joints and control arm bushings. How can you help me by throwing in the ball joints.

Thanks again for your knowledge and expertise people.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah I was a tech all that while ago... lol! Anyhow, I've done more than my fair share of 50J recalls. You need a pair of pliers for the cottor pins, a 14mm socket with a short extension for the 4 bolts that hold the lower control arm to the ball joint. You'll also need I believe a 22 and 24mm for the castle nuts on the lower ball joint and tie rod. And the ball joint seperater tool, like I said I have one if you want it. The new ball joints should come with new cottor pins. The torque spec on the lower ball joint castle nut I believe is somewhere around 115 ft lbs. Torque this with a toque wrench, that ball joints takes a lot of stress... And to get the exact torque spec call a dealership and ask for a tech... they should know this by heart... like I used to!! If you need for info let me know...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Ok, so I got a lot of good info on getting the lower ball joints fixed, but what about the control arm bushings? First question, will the same upper control arm bushings fit 2wd and 4wd models? I have only seen the 2wd uppers online.

Black quad cab TRD, moded inside and out, locked up on 35's, capable of getting there and back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode