2nd gear is hard to shift into. - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

2nd gear is hard to shift into.

Well, I bought a 97 4 runner 4 cyl,5 speed last august off of craigslist. Naturally I have had a few issues, but one that has started to manifest it's self in cold weather.

When I start up in the morning, I have a bitch of a time getting into 2nd gear. If I take my rpms a little higher in first(3-4k) rather than 2.5k-3k before I shift from first to second, It's a little better.

I kind of have to give it some love to get it in, and when I have driven for a mile or perhaps less, I can then move through my gears with ease.

Any Ideas what might cause this?

As an aside, I get down shift into first unless I am fully stopped, but this may be unrelated, or expected behavior.

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 04:01 PM

Its not much help but I have had the same problems with my truck since I bought it. It seems to be pretty common.

97 2.7l Ex. cab Tacoma
DR coilovers
LCE Header
32 BFG MT's
Budbuilt Skids
CBI Sliders
E-locked trd rear axle
Mossyrock F&R bumpers
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Then I wont worry about it
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 06:05 PM
Dun DUn DUN!

you can try overfilling your tranny fluid but usually the fluid is just a little thicker in the morning when its cold and it takes a bit to warm up... you might have syn in there and that kinda exagerates the problem in the colder weather. mine is pretty bad in the winter time....

99 Taco with 5 inches of lift and some toys....
12 Jetta TDI that the wife commandeered
03 Silverado tow pig double extra long green edition
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member

Or if the synthetic is TOO slick, the synchros don't work as well...I have more positive shifting since I switched from dino to synthetic, but it does seem to grind a little more...

Former President - CO Chapter
Founding President - OH Chapter

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

So when it warms up it shifts fine?

If it only has problems in the cold, you might try changing the gear oil. If it was a syncro ring problem I think it would always be hard to shift into second.

I had a problem about a week ago. I usually park in the garage, but I had to park outside over night in the freezing cold.

When I went out to start up the truck I could not shift into any gear, it was like moving my shifter through mud. After about 10 min the tranny warmed up and I could shift fine.

How is your clutch? I have usually experienced problems shifting into Reverse when a hydraulic clutch starts to go. But I suppose it could also effect shifting into other gears.

The not being able to down shifting into first while moving is normal. I have to be almost completely stopped to sift into first. I dont know for sure but first gear may not have a syncro ring. I know a lot of older tranny's have no 1st gear syncro, older fords and VWs come to mind.

Good Luck!

Jerry

'98 Tacoma TRD

......I see a dark sail on the horizon, set under a black cloud that hides the sun....

......Savage Rabid Beast.......
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 11:52 AM
ike
Veteran Member

x2 on maybe changing the oil viscosity since it only happens when it is cold

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Yes, the problem is temp bound. yesterday, in the AM it was hard to shift, but when I left work after the car had been sitting in the sun for the day, I had no issues.

Good to know that 4 runners also have the same issue getting down to first. I had heard that some older cars have that issue, but I'm glad to know its not just me.

I dont know how to judge the clutch. The only thing that bothers me about it, is that I have to jam the peddle until is hit the floor to get the clutch to disengage.

I lack a basis of comparison with manual transmission, since this is my first.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member

Sounds like your clutch pedal may need to be adjusted. This is for an older truck, but the procedure should be the same:
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b.../2checkand.pdf

Former President - CO Chapter
Founding President - OH Chapter

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode