Head Gasket Failure - What to do - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Head Gasket Failure - What to do

So the test for combustion gas in the radiator came back the wrong color.

The truck has 209K on it.

Do I:
1. Scrap the truck/sell for the other parts.
2. Do a compression check and if good and proceed with a new head gasket? The dudes on the national board still think it could cost one about $1200 or more to do it yourself after the HG kit, stuff you break, tools, etc.
3. get another engine.

This is a extra vehicle for me and I would like to do all the work myself to save money. I am in no rush to complete.

Thanks

//edit - it could also be a cracked head or block. Regardless, it seems to be that I need a replacement engine and most likely, someone to install it. Any recommendations on either.

Last edited by Commutacoma; 04-16-2007 at 09:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member

What motor - 4 or 6 cyl?

Former President - CO Chapter
Founding President - OH Chapter

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

3.4l 6
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 08:06 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to matt and erin
i hate to tell you this, but rebuilt enginge is about $4300, i just did a complete rebuild on my 3.4L and it was about 3k for pistons, rings, heads, water pump, and all new gaskets for everything. but the head gaskets themselfs are about $100 for just the gaskets, and i just used a basic tools for just about everything. if you need help with getting a deal on parts or somethin let me know
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member

I can't imagine it costing $1200 to do head gaskets yourself, even if you had to buy a frikkin torque wrench. you'll need new head bolts for sure, the head gaskets themselves, a new intake gasket set, and maybe some odds and ends like broken connectors or vacuum lines or hardware.

Replace it yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRunnertc View Post
Aren't you a Regional Manager AND a little bitch?
Mr.Clean '03 Taco
As yet unnamed '03 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 10:25 PM
Almost Out of 9 Lives

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
Well ya know that we will help in any way right??? (All Comutacoma is an OLD SKOOL Cottora members with lots to offer)

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Get your 4x4 VIDEO pr0n here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the offers for help. I do not check in all that much anymore.
I failed emissions today because my truck as a sticker under the hood that says TWC+TWC, which they said means two 3-way cats. I only have one cat, which is all I ever had. The classic is that since I have not used the truck in six months and needed a jump this morning, the truck would not start in their bay after I failed the visual inspection.

So, tomorrow, the sticker will be removed and I will try to make it to another test center this week. I need to pass emissions so I can get the truck registered again.

I got a rough estimate of $1900 or so for the head gasket replacement, that is assuming I do not need a new head. I may try and do it myself but the truck has lots of corrosion. I think TRD parts for you sells a head kit for about $400. Then, all the various other parts I will break during the process. The national forum estimates maybe $1100 or so to do it yourself. I have the factory manual for it so it should be easy enough to follow, but never having done it before, well sometimes things go wrong.

The thing that is holding me back is my house is for sale and I don't want to dig into a 6 month project on my truck and then have the house sell, but then again this sort of jynx could sell me house faster. I have time on my side since the truck is semi-retired. It is not like I need to rush at it.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 11:06 PM

i just got done doing a head gasket job on a 3.0L and i found the gaskets on E-bay from Musumo auto parts, i had the heads milled and had to replace a few of the valves and it cost around 400$ to do it/ it took only a week to do it all and that includes the time for the parts to get here. let me know if you would like help..

Do not DISTURB! Im disturbed enough allready!
90 Runner (Road Kill), SR5, Stock, 3.slow...rebuilt, 5speed 31" bfg mudders, sway bars removed.
Coming soon: SAS, Lincoln locker, 2" B/L for raised drivetrain.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

I don't think I would remove the sticker - that could be cause for failure too.

I went through the same thing when I lived in NC with my '89 2WD with 22R. Their book said "If vehicle equipped with an O2 sensor and three way cat, it must be present" or something like that. Which they interpreted to mean I needed an O2 sensor and a 3way cat. I had to make them read it like 3 times and explain what an O2 sensor was gonna do on a CARBURETED engine to get them to pass it. Freakin' morons.

Former President - CO Chapter
Founding President - OH Chapter

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 03:18 PM

Oleg

Oleg will put in used 3.4 in your truck for $2300 - That's $1500 for a motor and $800 for the install.

He put one in my truck a month ago and he and his brother are great guys.

You can find him at www.irbisoffroad.com

Good luck,

2006 Tundra DCab
Bilstein 5100 adjustables
Phoenix Cab Over Camper
CRF450X
1984 Toyota Rock Krawler
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2007, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys

BTW, I already removed part of the sticker, oops.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Good news is the stick removal trick worked. I passed emissions today and will be able to register the vehicle again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode