Timing belt change on western slope? - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Timing belt change on western slope?

Moved to Junction in June, and I need my timing belt changed in my 99, 3.4L. Any options around other than taking it to Delta or Glenwood Springs? (dealers).

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member

Um - yeah ... do it yourself! It's not that tough! I'm sure the Western Slope guys will be chiming in with offers to help, too.

Former President - CO Chapter
Founding President - OH Chapter

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I was watching a friend do his a couple years ago, and it looked like a pain in the ass. Then he did something wrong, because it broke down on a roadtrip, and had to be towed to Toyota so they could do it right. I am just nervous to attempt it due to that.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 11:21 AM

Wish I were closer to give you a hand but I'll second the "do it yourself". I'd never done it before, and it took a full Saturday, but in the end I saved a good chunk of cash. With the proper tools you also have the added benefit of knowing it was done with OEM parts and done right. The biggest positive aspect, for me anyways, was learning more about my engine and how to fix it on the trail, God forbid. I also got tell my wife how much $$ I was saving justifying the purchase of NEW TOOLS

There are several pictorials of the process posted on the Net but if you do decide to take it to a mechanic hopefully someone knows a good one over in your neck of the woods.

2001 Taco TRD SR5 XtraCab
5-vee-zee-eff-eeeeeeee
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Ironically, the Toyota dealer in Glenwood quoted me even less than Denver. I was prepared to just go to Denver if it meant saving money.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 11:40 PM

safari toyota in junction
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 11:42 PM

450 bucks in gunnison prescion auto
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 09:04 PM
The Un-people person

Safari in Junction is a good place. I know I just moved here but They have done lots of work on both my dad's Tacomas and my little brother's as well. I had a chance to talk with Hugh (Not sure how to spell it) on the phone and he seems really knowledgeable. I live 2 hours out of Junction but if you decide to do it yourself I could help you over the phone if you get stuck. It's not that bad.

-Trent

1998 SR5 TeRD 4x4, Front Pro Rock D60 w/ Dedenbear kingpin and ARB locker, Rear 35 spline D60, locked, rear disks, 4.7 crawlbox, 40" Swamper LTB's, 17" Stazworks double beadlocks, 9000# T-Max comp winch etc...

My other SAC

My out of date Website under construction

For those of you interested in Throttle body spacers:
Click here
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 10:33 PM
Almost Out of 9 Lives

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
Yeah wish we could help ya do it. Come to Steamboat next weekend and join Stagecoach CO , Redrunner and Me for a min wrench-a-thon

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Get your 4x4 VIDEO pr0n here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode