cv boot and sway bar link - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

cv boot and sway bar link

Once I get the parts (next week sometime...) I am hoping someone can help me walk through pulling the CV to replace the outer boot on an 07 FJC. Still deciding whether to put the sway bar back on. Thx, Eric

Eric Ross
Denver, CO
07FJC

“Not all who wander are lost…”

http://curtisparkcruiser.weebly.com/

ARB this and that, Warn this and that, OME this and that, Armor this and that, Recovery & Repair this and that...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member

So, I'm guessing they denied covering it under warranty huh?

Former President - CO Chapter
Founding President - OH Chapter

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TowerRigger
Eric we need to form a mob AND STORM TOYOTA! Swaybars just don't fail. Oh well can't fight the man.

Is IFS something you can get penicillin for???

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindleshanks View Post
You flew too close to the sun on wings of whiskey, my friend.
post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

The tech said he would replace it under warranty, but the service manager and the district manager wouldn't let him. They cited that I was driving off-road (OMG!), that I had TC UCA's that allow for out-of-spec travel and they found a contact point on the link. I was told to call Toyota's 800 number and b!tch, but I don't expect that to change anything anytime soon.

So the boot kit is @ $30.00, the sway bar link $90.00 (how special is that??) and they wanted to charge me $400.00+ for labor...

Eric Ross
Denver, CO
07FJC

ARB this and that, Warn this and that, OME this and that, Armor this and that, Recovery & Repair this and that...
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerRigger View Post
Eric we need to form a mob AND STORM TOYOTA! Swaybars just don't fail. Oh well can't fight the man.
Yeah, the service tech just stood there shaking his head, saying, "I woulda done it for ya, but..." It sucks that his bosses went out of their way to find a way NOT to cover it while he went out of his way to find a way TO cover it.

Wheelers Unite!

OOOhhhh, and The Man... fawk the little man...

Eric Ross
Denver, CO
07FJC

post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member

Keep it off...it'll just happen again. The links on my truck were bent pretty bad, you can either mod the linkage using a horizontal bolt or a heim joint if you want to get fancy, or even fab up a simple disconnect. I'm on the fence whether to reinstall mine with a disco or not.
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member

I really hate to say this because I LOVE trail body damage. But it probably didn't help your cause on this one. Maybe not. But I could just see the head cheese shaking his head at the overall of your truck. He probably exlusively drives a lexus and doesn't like to be bothered with FJ (or Toyota) riffraff. Especially the ones who get their vehicles, dare I say it, dirty.

Quote:
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member

It is not the authority of the service manager to decide what is covered or not. Bring it to Denver and I will have to fix it for you under warranty.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcruzer View Post
The tech said he would replace it under warranty, but the service manager and the district manager wouldn't let him. They cited that I was driving off-road (OMG!), that I had TC UCA's that allow for out-of-spec travel and they found a contact point on the link. I was told to call Toyota's 800 number and b!tch, but I don't expect that to change anything anytime soon.

So the boot kit is @ $30.00, the sway bar link $90.00 (how special is that??) and they wanted to charge me $400.00+ for labor...
Damn - that sucks. The off-road argument holds no water for me (I mean the whole FJ marketing machine is about taking the trucks off-road), but I can somewhat understand the TC UCA argument. It is true you've modified the suspension geometry, which could create added stress on the links.

1976 FJ40
2006 Tacoma *Sold*
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 04:28 PM

Eric, Maybe we could get together and have a FJ wrench-a-thon. My Inchworm Lefty should be delivered by UPS tomorrow. We could fix yours and mod mine.

Tony

'07 FJ Cruiser - Inchworm Lefty w/ 4.7 - Bunch of other stuff
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I was told to call Toyota's 800 number and b!tch, but I don't expect that to change anything anytime soon.
Do it. While the dealership is usually your best bet as they have a more direct interest in your future cash outlays, Toyota IS interested in keeping you as a customer. Use the words "this will affect my future car buying decisions" regularly. Also, be sure to include that you participate on several Toyota based forums.

When I had the 50N recall done on my truck, the dealer said I would have to pay for new tie rods (the whole thing, both ends and the adjuster), pitman arm, and idler arm. Based on reports from Yotatech, and a post of the actual recall from Toyota, I thought that a bit excessive. To make a long story short, I paid all that, immediately contacted Toyota, faxed them the info they requested and eventually got a check for the whole thing. It takes them some time, but in my experience, Toyota does the right thing in the end.

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinsixtyseven View Post
Keep it off...it'll just happen again. The links on my truck were bent pretty bad, you can either mod the linkage using a horizontal bolt or a heim joint if you want to get fancy, or even fab up a simple disconnect. I'm on the fence whether to reinstall mine with a disco or not.
Yeah, Bandi in the blue room said he might have some heims that would work, but I'm still undecided. I ordered all the necessary goodies and they should be in GWS on Monday if I need them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerRigger View Post
I really hate to say this because I LOVE trail body damage. But it probably didn't help your cause on this one. Maybe not. But I could just see the head cheese shaking his head at the overall of your truck. He probably exlusively drives a lexus and doesn't like to be bothered with FJ (or Toyota) riffraff. Especially the ones who get their vehicles, dare I say it, dirty.
Definitely a double-edged sword... the techs thought it was cool and they should take care of it. The desk jockeys followed protocol to keep the numbers nice and neat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefatkid View Post
It is not the authority of the service manager to decide what is covered or not. Bring it to Denver and I will have to fix it for you under warranty.
Right on! Tell me where to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
Damn - that sucks. The off-road argument holds no water for me (I mean the whole FJ marketing machine is about taking the trucks off-road), but I can somewhat understand the TC UCA argument. It is true you've modified the suspension geometry, which could create added stress on the links.
Yup, drive off-road, but only the way we do it... I'm hoping TC will chime in at some point, b/c I asked them about these possibilities and was assured there wouldn't be any problems...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagecoachco View Post
Eric, Maybe we could get together and have a FJ wrench-a-thon. My Inchworm Lefty should be delivered by UPS tomorrow. We could fix yours and mod mine.

Tony
Now that's just too cool! This weekend is house hunting in Denver time, the 17-20 I'm in San Fran, the 25/26th was perhaps a Holy Cross weekend, but I ain't going until I get the boot back on...

And I hear you Troy, I'll give them a call. Too bad they don't empower their employees to do the right thing instead of making the customer do the leg work.

Eric Ross
Denver, CO
07FJC

post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member

Ah San Fran

Quote:
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 09:46 PM
Eats Own Boogers

Eric,

Do you want to try to figure out how to get that 35mm socket of mine that you'll need for that axle nut? If you're going to Denver, you'll probably take I-70, right? If you don't get things together early in the week, I have Wednesday off with the exception of needing to be home by 6pm.....

Tesla > Edison
2011 Tundra 4X4 RCSB 5.7L
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to march2304 Send a message via Yahoo to march2304
Hey Eric you and i should tag team the front range for work and warranty stuff. Ill bet the front range would love to be able to work on our trucks.

2007 Toyota Tundra Limited.

www.bajacolorado.com

Work to Live NOT Live to Work
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade View Post
Eric,

Do you want to try to figure out how to get that 35mm socket of mine that you'll need for that axle nut? If you're going to Denver, you'll probably take I-70, right? If you don't get things together early in the week, I have Wednesday off with the exception of needing to be home by 6pm.....
Aah, you are so very kind! I'm driving down there Sat/Sun and back again on Sun/Mon, so I'll give you a buzz if it'll be at a reasonable hour!

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2304 View Post
Hey Eric you and i should tag team the front range for work and warranty stuff. Ill bet the front range would love to be able to work on our trucks.
Yeah, I've been thinking about another sponsor for Baja: Independent Motors in Boulder. I'm acquaintances with the owner, Bill, and they've been working on my rigs for 20 years.

Eric Ross
Denver, CO
07FJC

post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Right on! Tell me where to go.
PM sent
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Eric Ross
Denver, CO
07FJC

post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member

How did this go from your torn cv boot to the official CoTTORA stip club thread.

Quote:
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member

Eric;
Since this is a relatively new Total Chaos application, perhaps they have had other problems similar to this, and perhaps they're keeping them quiet to avoid a large scale recall. You should contact them.
Total Chaos is a much smaller organization than Toyota. Perhaps they'll absorb some of the cost if you apply some pressure. You're much more likely to be able to contact the Big Kahuna at TC than anybody at Toyota with the power to help you. Remember, in customer service for any business, if you make enough noise you'll usually get what you want. Good luck homey.
An aside: I've got tools and am totally willing to help out a homey in need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRunnertc View Post
Aren't you a Regional Manager AND a little bitch?
Mr.Clean '03 Taco
As yet unnamed '03 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100
post #21 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Funny you should ask! Here's TC's response to my inquiry:

Eric,

Thank you for your inquiry with Total Chaos Fabrication Inc. Most of the aftermarket shock manufacturers (Donahoe, King, Sway A Way , etc) supply a spacer to drop the sway bar with their coilovers or even a new sway bar ( Sway A Way ). We do not make any kind of sway bar drop as the UCA’s do not effect the sway bar’s performance, it is all effected by the coilover or spacer installed. The shock is the limiting factor for droop wheel travel, when a spacer is used, the suspension will cycle further than it is designed to. This is what caused the sway bar end link to fail. Generally it is the upper Balljoint that suffers from this over-extension, hence the need for a new UCA. As far as Toyota labeling our UCA as an unacceptable modification, we have several Toyota dealerships (Northridge Toyota is the largest) that not only install our UCA’s but warranty the trucks that run them. Please feel free to contact us with any other questions or concerns that you may have.

Total Chaos Fabrication Inc

159 North Maple, Unit J

Corona, CA 92880

Ph. 951-737-9682

Fx. 951-737-9006

Thanks for the homey support! Figure something out soon. Eric

Eric Ross
Denver, CO
07FJC

post #22 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Well, got the parts ordered and are in at Bighorn in GWS.

$81 sway bar link
$35 boot kit
$35 inner and outer seals

Now if I only had time to pick them up!

I gotta get the CV boot replaced since I've already burned 1000+ miles into it uncovered, so I guess I'm dropping the rig off at Bighorn for the entire next week so they can work on it as time allows.

Eric Ross
Denver, CO
07FJC

post #23 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 11:15 AM
Eats Own Boogers

Quote:
inner and outer seals
I can't think of what these are. Might they be metal dust seals on either end of the CV axle?

Tesla > Edison
post #24 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I'm not certain, but I asked them to give me anything that might get f'ed up so I wouldn't get stuck with it apart and have to replace something in the middle of the fix.

Eric Ross
Denver, CO
07FJC

post #25 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 11:22 AM
Eats Own Boogers

Good to cover as many bases as you can....so you're going to have Bighorn do the fix?

Tesla > Edison
post #26 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I don't really have a choice. I don't have a day off or place or expertise to do it myself and I'm concerned that if I keep driving it I'll F it up more

Eric Ross
Denver, CO
07FJC

post #27 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 12:33 PM
Almost Out of 9 Lives

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
Eric can you hold off till a week and a half from now? If stagecoach is cool with it we can all help you fix it in steamboat the weekend of the 23rd/24th. Troy and I are going to steamboat that weekend and we could really do that wrench-a-thon after all. I seriously bet your rig would be fine till then. Plus we have the 35mm socket!

What do you and Tony think?

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Get your 4x4 VIDEO pr0n here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #28 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Are you talking about Sat/Sun August 24/25th? If so that might work. The problem I'm running into is potentially having to take that time to house shop, missing your help and then perpetually not getting it done.

Eric Ross
Denver, CO
07FJC

post #29 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 05:54 PM
Almost Out of 9 Lives

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
Well if we plan it can get done. I will call you and Tony tonight. It needs to get done. Both you and Tony!

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Get your 4x4 VIDEO pr0n here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #30 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member

Clarification: We don't have a 35mm socket for the newer trucks - just the 54mm for the older ones.

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode