Rust - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Tug

Rust

Beings I just moved from an area that doesn't have a problem with vehicle rust (Los Angeles) and I just purchased a 2002 4X4 Tacoma from a dealership in Boulder I was wondering about body/frame rust.

The reason why Im asking is due to the snow storm we just had a couple of days ago I decided to pressure wash the under carriage of my truck and noticed some discoloration on the frame. There was also a small rust spot on my rear bumper and was wondering if getting the truck undercoated would be a worthwhile investment or a waste of money? I know back east rust is a huge problem but wasn't sure if Colorado has the same problem.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member

The problem is much less here than back East. Washing the undercarriage after snows is the key. That's why it's better here - you stand a chance of being effective because the roads are clear the next day when the sun comes out, whereas in the "rust belt", they just have to keep laying down the salt everyday until spring comes.

If the paint is peeling up, I would recommend cleaning it up real good with a wire brush, then hitting it with some rust-sealing paint like POR-15. That will be a project for my truck this summer I think ... but then mine experienced 13 Ohio winters ...

Former President - CO Chapter
Founding President - OH Chapter

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Tug

Thanks Red,

I've noticed theres alot of older vehicles here and they dont seem to have a real problem with rust but when I washed the under carriage of my truck today I and noticed some discoloration I became a little concerned. When I looked up undercoating on the internet to see if I could find a shop here in Denver that does it I only came up with one company that actually does it.

Like I said in one of my other threads I really like this truck and would like to keep it for at least 5 years if not longer.

Thanks again

Dave
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member

I hate rust! Luckily its not too big of a problem here in CO. Like Red said, wire brush real good and coat it with some paint. I dont think you need an actual undercoating other than paint. They all chip off over time anyway, so no matter what you do it wont be the last time.

That truck may not be originally from CO, so perhaps it was out east in the rusty cities for a tme. My '98 has very little rust on the frame or anywhere else for that matter, but it is from here originally.

Oh yeah and that truck will last much longer than 5years. even if you didnt wash it another day in your life

Jerry

'98 Tacoma TRD

......I see a dark sail on the horizon, set under a black cloud that hides the sun....

......Savage Rabid Beast.......
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Tug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
That truck may not be originally from CO, so perhaps it was out east in the rusty cities for a tme. My '98 has very little rust on the frame or anywhere else for that matter, but it is from here originally.

Oh yeah and that truck will last much longer than 5years. even if you didnt wash it another day in your life :D
lol... Im pretty meticulous when it comes to my vehicles, I imagine I'll wash it at least a couple of more times between now and the year 2013 lol

I ran a carfax and had the dealer pull up a service history report before I bought the truck, it was originally sold at Stevenson Toyota in Denver but all the service (including oil changes) was performed at Boulder Toyota which is where I bought it.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member

Lol

Sweet a local truck

Enjoy the truck man, it will take good care of you!

Jerry

'98 Tacoma TRD

......I see a dark sail on the horizon, set under a black cloud that hides the sun....

......Savage Rabid Beast.......
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 09:50 PM
Almost Out of 9 Lives

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
OMG The game is on now for the award of cleaned CoTTORA truck...

But seriously... bring it to the HOW on sat if ya have time and our crew can check it for telltale signs (Actually Troy aka Red can - why... Look at his truck.. he should know.. )

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Get your 4x4 VIDEO pr0n here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TowerRigger
Every few washes or when I really start to notice the rust I get under the truck and rattle can everything. Can't stop the cancer just keep it at bay. Makes my pile look new again underneath for awhile too.lol Good insurance for just a few bucks a can. I'd say for a DD dollar for dollar rattle can is your best bet. My

Is IFS something you can get penicillin for???

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindleshanks View Post
You flew too close to the sun on wings of whiskey, my friend.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member

i get the sand blaster out. thats about the most effective longest lasting method, it just costs a little bit more in the end for the pressure pot and the sand at like 20 bucks for a 30 pound bag and 70-100 for the cheapy harbor freight setup then back it with a good QUALITY undercoat or chassis paint and it should last you a couple of years before you need to get under there again

i spent a winter with my truck in buffalo and it looks bad..... even though i washed it every day it didnt do much to help

but nothing a good weekend or two couldnt fix, its still early so everything still comes apart fine
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 01:30 PM

Not sure if this is true or not...
Toyota Tacoma Buyback
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27485
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2008, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to poorboyota26
I've washed my truck twice in two years. The first time to get all the grease from the PO's neglected gasket replacements and the second time to get it ready for rattle can paint job. But then again it isn't from this decade or the last one either so the damage has been done.

86 runner
Rebuilt 22re, r151, ep9.0, 31's, addicted front bumper
04 Tacoma DC with custom body work
Dreams of owning a fzj80, fj60, fj45 troopy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefatkid View Post
Yea, 2 days later and I still feel like a sack of assholes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Leary ExPo
Years from now, when we are dead and gone... the roaches will be driving little Toyotas with 3.4s.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 12:25 AM
Veteran Member

Be aware, I got a recall notice for certain trucks with excessive frame rusting. I think its a rare problem though. I don't see anything abnormal on mine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode