Well, I'm finally making some decent progress with my build. I've got the frame cleaned up of all unnecessary brackets (almost, need to cut off the old spring hangers today).
I decided to ditch the idea of the ford gas tank and mocked up the stock tank. Eventually I'll go flat bed, but with my new budget, that'll be a while. In the mean time, I'll cut a hole in the bed and box in a cover for the tank/evap and create a box for the battery. I'll be loosing about 17" which should put me right where the wheel wells start. This is the area where I'd planned on putting a tool box, so I'll have to figure that part out later down the line.
The tank location shouldn't interfere with the drive shaft. The 2x4 here is about where my t-case output will be, I have the old 1 piece drive shaft from when this thing still ran (I think I have 50 miles on it). It's currently strapped up as if I had a 2 piece (aiming it at the horse collar), and it's only marginally better than if I stay with a 1 piece (the t-case output would be at the bottom center of the 2x4). Since I'm going to have to go fairly budget with the rest of this build, I may run the 1 piece till it's bent, then upgrade to a 2 piece.
I'm going to chop the frame at the rear shackle mounts and box it in with 2x3x.25. Once that's done, I'll cut out the stock xmember (spare tire mount). I'll be bobbing the bed once it get's put on (which should be right after the suspension is complete and I have a roller again).
I also had to scrape a ton of gumpta from the axle just to find where the steering stops, shock mounts etc are. I cleaned off all unnecessary brackets and will continue to clean it all up in my spare time.
I went with the Trail gear 4" kit, which includes a gusset for the top of the axle, and I'll be ordering the knuckle gussets from WabFab as they seem to be the only ones that replace the shock mount with double shear boxed mount that integrates into the knuckle gusset. Most replace with just a single piece of steel and the shock mounts to it in single sheer.
I seem to be doing alot of things 2-3 times over no matter how much I try to plan the order. I guess that's what happens when you don't know what you're doing. I won't have the funds for the cromo shafts and knuckle rebuild for a couple months, so I'll go ahead and hang the suspension with the axle as is, then tear it down later to upgrade the shafts and from the balls out. I may end up putting off the upgrade to longs untill I actually get this thing rolling. I figure there's going to be alot of time between figuring out the wiring and chasing bugs once it will actually run.