Tires for CO trails/Moab (other than MTR's) - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Tires for CO trails/Moab (other than MTR's)

I think I still have quite a bit of life in my tires, but they are a pretty mild A/T and when they wear out, I'm looking for something more aggressive. I want to stay with a tall/skinny for now as I want to minimize/eliminate any need for lift. MTR's are not available in any of these sizes. I'm currently considering the 255/85-16 Trxus M/T as I have heard they are very quiet on the road and have sufficient siping for winter here. Looking for reports for on and offroad performance, wear, noise, etc.

Former President - CO Chapter
Founding President - OH Chapter

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action

Last edited by RedRunnertc; 04-22-2007 at 11:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member

I got the BFG MT's and road noise is not a problem. I pinched one against a rim at Bangs Canyon over a month ago. The rim was dinged and the sidewall separated about 1mm deep in a wedge. No penetration and have been running it since on highway to and from Bangs again and Moab for three days.

As for snow... hard flat faced lugs... not so snow friendly, but I'm guessing that's part of the trade off for durability... Hence snow tires

Eric Ross
Denver, CO
07FJC

“Not all who wander are lost…”

http://curtisparkcruiser.weebly.com/

ARB this and that, Warn this and that, OME this and that, Armor this and that, Recovery & Repair this and that...
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 07:40 PM

As Fjcruzer mentioned about the TrXus tires, talk to Stagecoachco about 'em. He's running them currently...I had regards about going with BFG A/T K/O's 285/70/17's when I changed the shoes on my FJ, but aired down to 20 PSI, I've yet to find something they couldn't tackle....Erm that is besides mud!
post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member

yea - most of of the 255/85's I've seen are the BFG MT's, and a couple of Maxxis Bighorns. I've never run either of them, but I've seen great reviews. But as you know, tire opinions can be all over the map....

One of the Expeditions West Tacomas is running Bighorns, and he gave good reviews of them on and off road.

1976 FJ40
2006 Tacoma *Sold*
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcruzer View Post
I got the BFG MT's and road noise is not a problem. I pinched one against a rim at Bangs Canyon over a month ago. The rim was dinged and the sidewall separated about 1mm deep in a wedge. No penetration and have been running it since on highway to and from Bangs again and Moab for three days.

As for snow... hard flat faced lugs... not so snow friendly, but I'm guessing that's part of the trade off for durability... Hence snow tires
All right, folks, I'm going to really go against the grain here. I think automatically airing down to 10 to 20 psi as soon as you go off road is BOGUS. You heard me. Airing down subjects your tires to the kind of damage you are talking about in addition to sidewall tears. I have actually aired UP LT tires such as BFG MT's to 40 or 50 psi just to avoid this kind of damage. I figure that if I fail to get over a particular problem because of traction, I'll can always air down for that situation. For the rest of the time, why ask for trouble?

As for snow, I have always found MT's to be great in deep snow and slush. It's ice where they do not excel. It's not that they are bad, they just don't excel.

Speaking of tires, what have ya'll heard about Coopers?

Hawk

FJ w/ 6 spd, A-Trac/Locker Hack, Rails, 33s
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 11:27 PM
Almost Out of 9 Lives

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
Interesting take Hawk...

I would say for some of the trails we run in c-rado that is pretty true. However many of the trails I run in Tippy will be shorter but a LOT of obstacles. But Troy runs his at a pretty high PSI because his sidewalls aren't the greatest and he does awesome... so you do have a point!

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Get your 4x4 VIDEO pr0n here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 05:43 AM

Quote:

I had BFG MTs on my 73 bronco. Awesome tires for off road, 3 ply sidewall, very puncture resistant.

As far as the comment on snow performance; simple. get them siped. it is a night and day difference. I have ran them both ways, and trust me, if you get the inner tread siped (leave the outside lugs intact to minimize chunking out the lugs), you will be very happy with this combination.

FWIW

FH
Commerce City, Colorado

Current Vehicles:
08 TRD Off Road 4DR - UCWMS; OME 3" LR UCAs; 265/75/16 Goodyear Duratrac

98 Eagle Talon TSI AWD - Boosted @ 22 PSI running DSMlink WI and FMIC.
1/4 mi - 13.7X at Bandimere, Morrison Colo. 68K miles.

Former Vehicles:
73 Ford Bronco rebuilt 302, lifted and locked - (sold)
98 TRD lifted V6 5SP - (Sold)
02 Honda VFR800 - (Sold)
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g34rh34d View Post
I had BFG MTs on my 73 bronco. Awesome tires for off road, 3 ply sidewall, very puncture resistant.

As far as the comment on snow performance; simple. get them siped. it is a night and day difference. I have ran them both ways, and trust me, if you get the inner tread siped (leave the outside lugs intact to minimize chunking out the lugs), you will be very happy with this combination.

FWIW
I agree. About 80% of why I'm a BFG fan is the puncture and tear resistent sidewalls.

Wow, that siping is a thought. I am pretty sure that one of my old sets I had siped and it seemed to help (although I'm a little fuzzy on that). I didn't realize you could just do one side. That's interesting. It might not work for me though because I cross rotate my tires, which may get us into another whole subject.

So what about Coopers? Anybody heard anything?

Hawk

post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 08:22 AM

Troy, What are MTR's?

Hawk

post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 12:30 PM

Hawk,
when g34rh34d said inside I belive he means sipe the inside two treads and leave the outsid two treads alone (33x10.5 have four treads). This would mean that whatever way you rotate the tires would be fine.

2000 Tacoma
33x10.5 BFG MT's on black steels
Donahoe coilovers, Deaver 8 leaf pack, and Bilstein 5150's.
post #11 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Yeah - maybe CENTER is a better description than inside.

Goodyear MTR's. What it seems EVERYONE is running ...

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

post #12 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member

Saw lots of MTR's in Moab, and the new Toyo MT looks gnarly and were on two of our rigs there, but it looks like they are all sized BIG...

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT...en-Country.htm

There has been a little discussion about the Cooper STT's in the blue room and they look like a nice compromise: lugged with a little siping.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ght=cooper+stt

As far as airing down goes, I never aired down until recently and there were very few places I couldn't go. However, now that I've been doing some crawling and working obstacles as much as just wheeling, airing down has made a huge difference, especially on the slickrock.

Eric Ross
Denver, CO
07FJC

“Not all who wander are lost…”

http://curtisparkcruiser.weebly.com/

ARB this and that, Warn this and that, OME this and that, Armor this and that, Recovery & Repair this and that...
post #13 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
As far as airing down goes, I never aired down until recently and there were very few places I couldn't go. However, now that I've been doing some crawling and working obstacles as much as just wheeling, airing down has made a huge difference, especially on the slickrock.
I agree. Slickrock or sand are the obvious cases where it makes sense. I have just noticed a tendency for some to automatically air down to very low pressure as soon as they leave the pavement. I think it's good to keep in mind that, in many situations, air pressure is your tires only defense. I am just saying air down if you have to; but if you don't, keep some pressure in your tires unless you really enjoy buying tires.

Hawk

Last edited by hawkonthewing; 04-23-2007 at 11:05 PM.
post #14 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnCTaco View Post
Hawk,
when g34rh34d said inside I belive he means sipe the inside two treads and leave the outsid two treads alone (33x10.5 have four treads). This would mean that whatever way you rotate the tires would be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRunnertc View Post
Yeah - maybe CENTER is a better description than inside.
Center. Oh yeah - you mean outside of the tire - not outside of the truck. Got it. I still had no idea you could do that. Cool!

Remember that white paper on Expeditions West? I think he was saying that traction on an uneven surface such as rock was better if you had more edges. Maybe siping improves traction for crawling as well as on ice.

Hawk

post #15 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Yeah, I would LOVE to try a set of Blizzaks in Moab...

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

post #16 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I would LOVE to try a set of Blizzaks in Moab...
So there's your answer. Now you can hang up this thread and go buy tires

Hawk

post #17 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 06:02 AM
The Last Marshall

Send a message via AIM to DriftinCO
I found the Cooper Discoverer STTs to be incredible on trails.

Over 50 years of quality products.
http://http://www.amway.com/
BrianKellyGauck
post #18 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Well, I don't think they would be that great all-around and in the summer heat, you could probably watch them wear out before your eyes!

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

post #19 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 12:09 PM

Sorry Troy, I thought you were totally jerkin' my chain about the Blizzacks. Yes, it would be an interesting experiment. And I can imagine a set in Moab about July. It might be like having tires made of chocolate.

Hawk

Last edited by hawkonthewing; 04-24-2007 at 12:19 PM.
post #20 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 12:17 PM

Thanks Drifter,
I have a local tire dealer I like and since he is a Cooper dealer he can't buy the BFG's at competitive prices. I have liked a couple of sets of Cooper all weather type LT tires I have owned but haven't wheeled with them. I was wondering if I should take a risk on the SST's. I guess I'm mainly concerned about whether the sidewalls are as tough.

Hawk

Last edited by hawkonthewing; 04-24-2007 at 09:07 PM.
post #21 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

No, I would LOVE to try them, just want it to be on someone else's dime! LOL

I think it would be funny to show up all the guys with big tires when they stick like glue!

On a serious note, I don't know why a tire mfg doesn't make a tire specifically for slickrock with a stupid soft compound, tons of siping, and colored red (or at least something other than black that won't show up on the rock as much)

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

post #22 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
On a serious note, I don't know why a tire mfg doesn't make a tire specifically for slickrock with a stupid soft compound, tons of siping, and colored red (or at least something other than black that won't show up on the rock as much)
Yea, I can dig it. Something biodegradable that you could grind up and put in your flower pots. My Sierra Club associates would love that. Whoops, sorry, that was on a serious note.

Seriously though, it is an interesting point. But also kinda' fun

Hawk

post #23 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 10:04 PM
Almost Out of 9 Lives

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
I think Troy's red tires are an aweome Idea! They would look sexy once I paint my truck Moab Camo....

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Quote:
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #24 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysmachia View Post
I think Troy's red tires are an aweome Idea! They would look sexy once I paint my truck Moab Camo....
No way - fa git a bout it. I wan the red tires fo ma cherry FJ. You and da sex is gunna halvta wait, baebi.

Hawk

post #25 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 05:36 AM
The Last Marshall

Send a message via AIM to DriftinCO
I've wheeled on the sharp rocks in AR and the trails out here with them. Can't wait to get to Moab with them. I know they are heavy tires, about 55lbs each. But I don't remember what the sidewall ply is. I've only had one flat with them and that was a big as* screw jammed into the center of the tread that was picked up on the road somewhere local.

And with this heavy wet snow we had yesterday, not even a real challenge.

Over 50 years of quality products.
http://http://www.amway.com/
BrianKellyGauck
post #26 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 05:54 PM
Almost Out of 9 Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkonthewing View Post
No way - fa git a bout it. I wan the red tires fo ma cherry FJ. You and da sex is gunna halvta wait, baebi.
Oh whateve' baby! I will school you with my MOAB colors!

Molly
aka Lysmachia

Quote:
post #27 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 10:25 PM

So Lysmolly,
What's up with this storied "truck"? Is it real or just a mirage on the Moab desert? I want proof. I want a link to a thread that reveals all. I want to know the plan. I want a picture I WANT TO SEE THIS RED TIRED TRUCK WITH MOAB CAMO!

Hawk

post #28 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I agree. Slickrock or sand are the obvious cases where it makes sense. I have just noticed a tendency for some to automatically air down to very low pressure as soon as they leave the pavement. I think it's good to keep in mind that, in many situations, air pressure is your tires only defense. I am just saying air down if you have to; but if you don't, keep some pressure in your tires unless you really enjoy buying tires.
I personally enjoy the smooth ride when you air down a tire off-road. Driving a leaf sprung truck and high air pressure would not be a fun day

I serious doubt that airing down a tire for 5-10-15 miles offroad 3 times a month would do anykind of serious damage to a tire. I don't recommend driving down the hwy aired down but off road, I always air down.
post #29 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member

Super Swamper LTB's all the way
post #30 of 71 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 06:18 PM
Almost Out of 9 Lives

Quote:
So Lysmolly,
What's up with this storied "truck"? Is it real or just a mirage on the Moab desert? I want proof. I want a link to a thread that reveals all. I want to know the plan. I want a picture I WANT TO SEE THIS RED TIRED TRUCK WITH MOAB CAMO!
Well I am not sure when I will get the chop and all the painting done but it should be done before Moab! (In september that is)

Molly
aka Lysmachia

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode