TTORA Forum banner

I got bored today...........Camping trailer fab!

9K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  Son of Mayhem 
#1 ·
So, I got bored today and started fabbing. After my last camping trip, I decided that I needed more room for gear so my dogs can go too. Not to mention I have an upcoming Rubicon trip coming. So:

I had a bunch of .090 wall square tubing lying around. Perfect for a small camping trailer. I also had some spare rear springs, and even a spare 84 axle. So, I got the frame, spring hangers, and springs mounted today. I'll get the axle under it tomorrow, build the hitch setup, and tongue tomorrow. Then I just need to grab some 1/8" sheet to build the rest.

The main frame measures 48"x36". I'll pull a leaf or two as well. I'm also going to modify the 4runner rear axle to turn it into a trailer clearanced axle.

See less See more
#5 ·
Wow. That is a damn nice trailer and WAY nicer than mine will be. LOL

I just want more room for camping. Something along the line of a standard M416 trailer will do just fine. I take my family with me, so with a wife and three kids, room is limited in a 4runner. Especially with two big labs wanting to go as well.

#6 ·
Drew is somewhat of a perfectionist, in a good way. He puts me to shame with his fab skills though...

Total thread jack... you have labs? I REALLY need to meet you. I love labs, and have had them all my life. Can't have one here because there just isn't room for a dog at our condo, but as soon as I've got room, I'm getting a lab puppy. /hijack

#8 ·
HA HA I am doing the same thing but a little on the cheaper side. I bought a frame that was one of those kit trailers and I built a box on top of it. I think I have about 175 invested in it by now. I wish it had bigger tires though. It's bouncy as all hell and I have to replace lantern mantels every trip. Nice work though. I love the idea of a camping trailer that holds your camp stuff. That way you can just hook up and go.

I was going to put stock Toyota springs on mine but I think that they would be too heavy duty. I'm only hauling 300 lbs. but I def. need to do something about that bouncing around.

It's not done but here's mine.

the back is held in by wing nuts so that I can unload and load more easily

The current posts are temp. but they will have a chain/cable between them for hanging things and then chain that will hold up the folding table tops for cooking and what not.

#9 ·
I have a feeling I'll be building a small trailer someday as well. Nice work!

My friend Jeff (he'll be at the Jambo) has a small camping / spare parts trailer he pulls behind his 96 4Runner. Pretty cool little trailer!

#12 ·
Okay, I may end up re-thinking the axle, but for now this is what I have. I have decided to (for now) run the 3rd point straight up for more clearance. Its already got a diff cover skid on it and based on measurements allows for more clearance that running it the standard way. It also will allow me to build a spare 5.29 3rd and run it there just case for a trail-spare.

I plan on making some brackets that will bolt to the outer axle flange that will allow me to run front axle outers on it. Mainly just the spindle/hub assembly. It will also allow me to run dual wheel bearings and an extra set of locking hubs. This way I won't have to run axle shafts in the rear nor need to drain fluid and pull shafts to pull the spare 3rd on the trail. It also keep the COG low with a 75lb 3rd nice and low.

#14 ·
I got the front A frame built and the hitch welded on. Its just a 3500lb rated 2" ball hitch. A whopping $9.99 from Harbor Freight. I have decided that I am going to try out a little different ball setup than most people use. We'll see how it works on some mild runs before I decide whether to keep it or not.

This is the new design I am going to try out.

Anyway, the frame and body skeleton is mostly built. I just need to skin it which will likely take place next week. I plan to add my CO2 tank setup on the front. The front A frame is built from 2"X2"x1.88 wall square with some 1-5/8 .134 wall tubing.

#17 · (Edited)
Finished the main body. I still need to finish a couple more things, but for the most parts its pretty close to done.

It will get a lid as well, but not before the jambo. I'll paint it, wire it up for lights and get it ready to tow tomorrow. It might need some fenders too.

#19 ·
Okay, I decided that the axle was too far forward, so I went ahead and re-drilled the leafs to move the axle back and center it on the tub itself. I also pulled the overload leaf because there is no way it will need it. Then, I added some breakaway cables, the shocks, and will add the tool box seen on the front. However, I have also decided that I need to extend the front tongue section for more room for the tool box. I also finalized the fender design and just need to build them next week.

It has an extremely thin coat of paint just in case it rained. I will be rolling on the hammered tone and then repainting gloss black tomorrow as well.

Attachments

#23 ·
Quick update. She is getting very close now. I will be taking it up Poll Hill Rd tomorrow to go camping for the night. We'll see how the coupler/hitch works in a mild trail.

I do still need to wire in lights, but my flat towing lights will work just fine for a quick trip.

#25 ·
I went camping this weekend with it and towed the trailer up a couple good sections on Pole Hill Road just to see if it would bind or give me issues. I think it did around 12mi of 4wd trail use. I checked the coupler and ball when I got home and saw no issues with fatigue on either.

For the purpose of this trailer, I should be just fine with what is on there. This trailer will never see anything significantly hard (like the Rubicon). The main plan is to have something light weight that I can tow to camping spots around Colorado. For any hardcore wheeling it will stay in camp.

There are a couple things that I need to address on the trailer though.
1st being the shackles. They invert from time to time, so I will be adding some longer shackles to it to keep that from happening.
2nd being the length of the front tongue. I need to extend the tongue at least 12". I will eventually run a rear tire carrier, so I will definitely need to extend the tongue. I will just cut and sleeve it with some more square tubing.

All in all, it tows great behind the 4runner. I can still set the cruise at 75mph and while I know its there, I am still able to hold speed on flat ground no problem.

#26 ·
So, I finished the final fender today, bedlined the inside with some roll on bedliner, and then rolled it with my usual Rustoleum Hammered black. They I always paint over the hammered black with a gloss black.

I usually do all of my rockers, bumpers, etc with the hammered and then gloss black look. It leaves a sweet finish IMO.

So, at this point, all I need to do is wire in the permanent lights, and get the licensing done on Friday morning.

#27 ·
that thing turned out awesome man

#29 ·
So... how'd it tow. It looked sweet up there at BV. I think that this winter I will be changing mine to a metal trailer the wood just gets out of square too easily.

#31 ·
great !!!!!!! got lots of comments on it up at steamboat sent some people with money to your site, they should be throwing some of it your way (I don't like being in one of those yuppie towns for long). Touched a tree with it trying to back the trailer into a spot, didn't even notice it but it left a mark on the tree :D

I hate that you can go 80, I topped out at 80 going down hill on the way to Steamboat and on the way back to Littleton we were going 30 up I-70 toward the tunnel. We got passed by Semi trucks doing 35 and they were laughing!!!! Got 19.5 MPG though. That's nothing to be upset about with the load we had.

Thank you again for the sponsorship!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.