One Locker.....Which Diff? - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

One Locker.....Which Diff?

I am finally doing a locker. I was without hesitation going to put it in the rear and seems the general consensus for effectiveness. There is however a trend among jeep owners to lock up the front first rather than the rear and eventually run an lsd in the rear. The idea I believe is to use the locker to "pull" yourself over an obstacle rather than push. I have wheeled with people with such a setup and have been impressed with their capabilities. I am not concerned with on road manners, steering issues, installation difficulty, etc.. I am only concerned with what we be most effective in the dirt. Where would one locker do the most good? Thanks for the thoughts as always!

'93 Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysmachia View Post
But again if you get snarky I will kick some ass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to 00regcab
Are you mechanically inclined? If you lock the front on an IFS truck, you're going to be 10x more prone to breaking CV's, steering components, etc.

I locked my truck F/R when i did it, so i cannot really give any input on the feel of one vs. the other. However my welded front diff sucks hardcore when it comes time to turn, especially on slick rock. Fortunately I have manual hubs so it doesn't do anything on the street.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 06:17 PM
Almost Out of 9 Lives

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
It really should be a selectable locker (ARB) if you are doing it in the front. Otherwise you'll hate hopping out to lock/unlock all the time (Like Nate noted) A rear locker can be an e-locker (Cheaper)

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Get your 4x4 VIDEO pr0n here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to vwfastg60
Rear locker first. All i have is a rear right now and thats all i ave had for years and i can go about anywhere i want to go.

87 Dlx Longbed mall crawler
96 ls400 daily beater
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 07:16 PM
Big tars, little bed.

Send a message via AIM to GOT COPE?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasbandit View Post
There is however a trend among jeep owners to lock up the front first rather than the rear and eventually run an lsd in the rear. The idea I believe is to use the locker to "pull" yourself over an obstacle rather than push.
Silly Jeeps. There's a reason they're always broke. And it's probably popular to lock the front because of the typical crappy D35 rear (c-clip or not) would be a waste to lock.

The rear would do the most good. The rear axle is typically the strongest in a vehicle (with the exception of some Jeeps) and can deal with the added stress of a locker better than the front.

The front already has the stress of steering on it, and the IFS is fairly weak to begin with, especially with larger tires.

Locking the front would be acceptable once you lock the rear and desire more capability. As already mentioned a selectable would be best to help steering and parts longevity as far as being able to use it only when you need/want to.

Id do a lockrite in the rear and save for an ARB front. If money isnt an issue then an elocker or ARB for the rear as well.

Id search for a complete elocker axle from a 95-04 Tacoma or 4runner '96-'01?, (it will be a couple inches wider than your factory rear or you can cut and drill your housing for the elocker chunk) from a junkyard for $400-$700 and swap the whole thing in. But it's your truck, do whats most feasible for you.

My Truck and Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotaoffroad27 View Post
I think Colin just rides around looking for a good photo op.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlrunner View Post
Blatent abuse of power ... but funny ... carry on ...
BRC since 2006www.sharetrails.org
TLCA #15854 www.tlca.org
SFWDA since 2005 www.sfwda.org
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00regcab View Post
Are you mechanically inclined? If you lock the front on an IFS truck, you're going to be 10x more prone to breaking CV's, steering components, etc.

I locked my truck F/R when i did it, so i cannot really give any input on the feel of one vs. the other. However my welded front diff sucks hardcore when it comes time to turn, especially on slick rock. Fortunately I have manual hubs so it doesn't do anything on the street.
Shit Nate I didn't know you were welded up front. That must be a joy at times!

'93 Runner

Quote:
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 08:03 PM

I would of done a lockrite for the rear if I didnt do so much street driving. The way I see it my LSD sees a lot of use, much more than a selectable would. The lockrite will just keep the wheels spinning together more often for better traction off road.

The selectable in the front is awesome you just wont be able to "cowboy" over the big stuff anymore .

255/85 16 KM2s, CBI rear tube bumper, Eaton LSD, 2.5" lift
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member

another vote for locking rear first. I'm open in the front of my taco, so i can't say if the front locker is a better aid than the rear... but I seem to do some of the bigger trails just fine. There's certain lines/obstacles that are doable only if you're locked in the front, but I do just fine on the same trails with good line selection.

I do know that the front locker on an IFS rig needs to be used sparingly to avoid breakage.

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 08:19 PM

I wheeled for a few months w/ just the rear locker before I put an aussie in my front, and with just the front locked I can make lines on the same trails I could not make with my rear locked, but that could be from learning how to drive better over time as well. As for breaking more cv's, I am yet to break a cv, knock on wood.

06 rubicon lj, stock for now
02 tacoma with some stuff done: sold
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member

I have run my ARB's "backwards" (lock front first, then be able to lock the rear).

Without a doubt, FRONT locker makes a bigger difference in an IFS rig's capability than rear. Think about it - are you more likely to lift a front tire or rear? With the front locked and the front wheels always turning, it is MUCH easier to get up on obstacles than having an open front and just jamming/pushing the non-spinning wheel into the ledge.

That said, there are certainly more downsides to a front locker - steering, breakage (more on this later), etc.

As for the breakage, I think lockers PREVENT as much/more damage than they cause by limiting wheel spin. The instances where a locker would magnify damage (wedged tire) are more avoidable than the instances where an open diff magnifies damage (wheel in air). If the tire is wedged hard enough to start snapping stuff, you probably aren't making that line anyways and need to back up and try again. If you're open, momentum is the only tool at your disposal - let off the gas to limit the wheelspin and you're not making even the easiest line.

Former President - CO Chapter
Founding President - OH Chapter

'93 4Runner lockers, armor, tcases, & stuff

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

Check out pix at www.4wheelingoh.shutterfly.com/action
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 12:50 AM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to vwfastg60
I can see where a front would b emore helpful but i wheeled IFS 3 years and had a backwards set up for gearing and tire size. I ran some hard lines i never thought i would run. In 3 years i broke 1 CV because of my bumpstop issues and suspension tweaking. In my truck i find i pick up a rear tire first so the locker would keep me moving...4runner may be different but my old runner and the fj are both the same. While you lift that tire the one with all the weight on it still is driving the truck and i found it to be plenty. Solid axle i feel about the same. It would help to get on stuff and not have your line change if the rear moves over but were also talking bigger rocks and pushing a bit harder then i did with the IFS.

I think every driver has a different style and i recomend selectable for both diffs because in co we have all kinds of trails and you can go someplace easy and have fun and push yourself open rather then lock the diffs and walk through it like nothing. I hear a lot about tire wear with a detroit or lunchbox style

87 Dlx Longbed mall crawler
96 ls400 daily beater
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 01:33 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwfastg60 View Post
In my truck i find i pick up a rear tire first so the locker would keep me moving...
This is more accurate for IFS IMO. As the IFS is limited, once the travel is out the truck starts to lean that direction due to most of the weight being over the front. I RARELY lift a front tire, even climbing big lines. Back tires are constantly off of the ground.

I disagree with the lockers preventing breakage. I've broken TONS of cv's that were completely uncalled for, and no driver error involved. Yes, there were a few that were driver error, and obvious why they broke. However, at least 9 of the now 12 (or maybe even more?) were complete BS breaks that definitely would not of happened if the front was not locked.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 05:09 AM
ike
Veteran Member

Hell, i never broke a cv when i wasnt locked up front. and that was 3 years of wheeling almost every weekend and 2-3 week long trips to moab/farmington/az mixed in.

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member

Maybe it's different with the Tacoma IFS compared to early IFS. I can tell you every CV I've broken has been my fault - too hard on the throttle with too much gearing. I don't think it's really fair to say CV's should be able to withstand 36,000 lb-ft of torque.

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member

I have broken a handful of CVs while open in the front. most of them were not driver error. I can think of one that was. that being said, I feel like gears not a locker up front would have saved most of my CVs since the breakage was usually due to the fact that I was bouncing around. with a slower crawl I could have been easier on the axles. but im still putting a front locker in anyway to make the bigger lines possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00regcab View Post
See, my mom is actually good for something other than being a prostitute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devinsixtyseven View Post
allow me to help with the mind-fuck ...
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member

Garage
SAS and selectable locker in front, no more broken CVs... there ya go.

I LOVE FELIX!!!!

and I have the stickers to prove it

Anti Bro Lightbar Soceity founder
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

lock the stronger, more reliable axle first...unless they're both bombproof, and then yeah, i'd be tempted to lock the front, so it's easier to get the truck up and over things.

of course if theyre both bombproof, you probably dumped money in to the axles for lockers, too...so it doesnt matter anyway.

lock the rear.

'00 Project, constant state of (d)evolution
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 01:13 PM
Dun DUn DUN!

open/open is what all the cool kids run anyways hahahahahahahaha

99 Taco with 5 inches of lift and some toys....
12 Jetta TDI that the wife commandeered
03 Silverado tow pig double extra long green edition
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotoy View Post
open/open is what all the cool kids run anyways hahahahahahahaha
if it wants to be an open-open bitch, then drive it like an open-open bitch

'00 Project, constant state of (d)evolution
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Note --- this incident of bouncing around, spinning like crazy and hopping resulted in no broken axles. If the front were locked, i guarantee something would of blown up.
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Damn you people your supposed to make it easier for me! The not locking the rear in a Jeep due to the D35 is a good point but I've wheeled with a few that were D44 front and rear and still ran the setup and swore by it. I do agree some with what Troy is saying, I always seems to have a front tire off the ground, I don't think the weight shift is as dramatic on a 4Runner as it is on a Truck I've got a lot of damn weight back there often keeping my rear tires on the ground. The more I think about it and my experiences with obstacles the more I think a locker up front could actually be an edge, especially on an IFS truck. That being said the compromises are too big without a selectable or at least a manual hub conversion. Additionally I can see the sense in locking the stronger axle first. Rear locker ordered today. Thanks for all the input!

'93 Runner

Quote:
post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 12:51 AM
Big tars, little bed.

Another benefit to a rear locker, selectable or not, is it can be used in 2wd when 4wd is not absolutely necessary, or if you get caught with your hubs unlocked and need the extra traction, it can sometimes be enough to get you out of a small mess so you dont have to get out in a mud puddle and lock the hubs.

I say forget the Jeep crowd, in my camp it's common knowledge to lock the rear first.

There, made it easy for you.

My Truck and Specs

Quote:
Quote:
TLCA #15854 www.tlca.org
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 01:07 AM
Almost Out of 9 Lives

Send a message via AIM to Lysmachia Send a message via MSN to Lysmachia Send a message via Yahoo to Lysmachia Send a message via Skype™ to Lysmachia
Quote:

My most favorite Troy quote EVER!

Molly
aka Lysmachia
85 4 Runner SAS (Tippy II) - All mashed together in 93runner and 85runner Goodness

Get your 4x4 VIDEO pr0n here
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoug View Post
How many people do you think it'd take to hold Molly down while we cut off a limb? I'm guessing alot, plus ratchet straps, c-clamps, and other misc tools
post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member

Front locker is like 100% of the benefit, but 75% of the problems (especially if a selectable isn't in the budget) ... rear locker is like 75% of the benefit, but only like 25% of the problems.

Manual hub conversion on your truck is easy Seth - unbolt the drive flanges and bolt on the manual hubs. Gives you some more options for dealing with trail breakage.

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 09:22 AM

Did you go selectable or a lockrite?

255/85 16 KM2s, CBI rear tube bumper, Eaton LSD, 2.5" lift
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRunnertc View Post
Manual hub conversion on your truck is easy Seth - unbolt the drive flanges and bolt on the manual hubs. Gives you some more options for dealing with trail breakage.
you guys don't have to swap out spindles?

de·gen·er·ate

I'm outside your window watching you read this.
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member

Nope - preTacos are all full-float front ends, mostly same parts as the solid axle stuff.

'14 Cadillac CTS VSport

post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member

i think troy touched on the subject a little bit.

the main reason i believe to selecty a front locker on a jeep is the short wheel base and engine placement

when i wheeled a rental in moab and sedona all that fucker wanted to do was lift the front end.

and since you cant balance on two wheels the back was usually planted. there for no need for a locker you have weight on both back wheels but on on the front. put a locker in the front and go... get it? got it? ... ok not so good?

if you were to compare the horizontal front to back roll center of the taco the weight is forward by a decent margine. and like said before thats the reason we always pic up a back tire. our weight is in the front. the front tires are almost always on the ground and the rear picks up so we do the same thing the jeep guys do. put the locker on the diff that has the tire in the air!

if you ride with a ton of weight in your rear or you take a bunch of fat chicks wheeling, often, then i would do the front

but two wheel burn outs are by far the best reason to put one in the back!
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 09:31 PM
ike
Veteran Member

Wait a minute now i am confuesed, put a locker or a fat chick in the back of the truck?

Degenerate

I am not lost

98 mazda protege
99 v6 trd taco-some stuff
07 Ninja 650R
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 11:31 PM
Big tars, little bed.

locker in the rear, ditch the fat chick, money saved on dinner = locker for the front.

My Truck and Specs

Quote:
Quote:
TLCA #15854 www.tlca.org
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode