TTORA Forum banner

E-Locker Diff Skid

28K views 107 replies 32 participants last post by  hytenor 
#1 ·
So here is the almost finished E-Locker version of hytenors diff skid that I have lusted over for years now. It has been a 6+ month project due to working on it just when I had some dead time at the shop, plus the wifes battle with cancer has really taken all of my time/energy for the last 4 months. Here are a few pics that I snapped with it off the diff I still have 1 more piece that will go across the top of the back section that isnt on in these pics. I will try to get some more as I get this piece on and some with it bolted up to the diff.

See less See more
#90 ·
update

well, another fabber bites the dust on this...o well. :(

bamf's plate seems to fit the bill for this type of skid and he's taken orders for over 50...good for him! :D
now we just need to see some writeups from the new owners to see how well they hold up to abuse.

I have found a local CNC cut/bender that can do my plate design in one pass for an awesome price so I may just order some and weld them up myself in my spare time in the off-season...haven't decided as yet. I'm also thinking of putting a DIY kit together.

At least somebody now has one on the market :p

#91 ·
well, another fabber bites the dust on this...o well. :(

bamf's plate seems to fit the bill for this type of skid and he's taken orders for over 50...good for him! :D
now we just need to see some writeups from the new owners to see how well they hold up to abuse.

I have found a local CNC cut/bender that can do my plate design in one pass for an awesome price so I may just order some and weld them up myself in my spare time in the off-season...haven't decided as yet. I'm also thinking of putting a DIY kit together.

At least somebody now has one on the market :p

I'm in for the DIY kit

#95 ·
Does anyone have templates? I have access to a CNC might be able to make a DIY kit and sell it for cost.

#96 ·
no templates, just a pencil drawing for a 1-pc CNC cut/bend main plate. I can get them done pretty cheap locally but as I said...don't have time until spring.
cutting it out isn't the issue...the 9 bends is ;)

#97 ·
When you get that online I would like one please.

#98 ·
So, I know this is an ancient thread resurrection, but wondered if I could get some insight on something...

I got this skid off a local guy, who said he got it off a rolled 3rd Gen 4runner in Vegas...

I love the design and extra coverage it offers over other production skids(budbuilt), as does almost anyone else who sees it!

It's quite apparent it's based off the same design as the one in the op, just not as high back or huge side block for the e locker...

So my question is this...

Does anyone know who may have made this?

Was the design plans ever made widely available, considering no one ever brought it to commercial production?

I'd like to help out a few friends with making some and even improve on the one I have, using a bit of the extras I've seen here.... but with this thick of steel, the last thing I want to be doing is cutting and recutting trying to figure out shape sizes if someone has them already listed and can share.

Thanks for any help ahead of time!

#104 ·
So, I know this is an ancient thread resurrection, but wondered if I could get some insight on something...

I got this skid off a local guy, who said he got it off a rolled 3rd Gen 4runner in Vegas...

I love the design and extra coverage it offers over other production skids(budbuilt), as does almost anyone else who sees it!

It's quite apparent it's based off the same design as the one in the op, just not as high back or huge side block for the e locker...

So my question is this...

Does anyone know who may have made this?

Was the design plans ever made widely available, considering no one ever brought it to commercial production?

I'd like to help out a few friends with making some and even improve on the one I have, using a bit of the extras I've seen here.... but with this thick of steel, the last thing I want to be doing is cutting and recutting trying to figure out shape sizes if someone has them already listed and can share.

Thanks for any help ahead of time!
Ha, yea, one of mine from way back, LOL
wonder how it got there :p
I only made a few of these. Phil is in charge of them now.

and...Knox (OP) built it off my design :p

thinking back I think that one went on Mike's rig...4Runner.

#101 ·
Yes, i still have the plans (i think, i may have to dig around) and hytenor gave me all the empty housings to make them. I made one for my truck last year

I was planning on making small runs of these, but nobody was interested. The problem is, i dont have access to a cnc plasma anymore, and would have to cut it by hand.

The good news is i made a press brake that allows me to build it in roughly 3 sections.

Its still a lot of work. I could also do something where i can do the cutout and bending, but thr welding and assembling can be done by you...

Made mine out of 3/16" and its plenty strong enough. Although, i did add some extra bracing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

#103 ·
Tool Auto part Machine Circular saw Table saw

Heres mine when i was working on it. I added and integrated an elocker motor skid, and i added a flatbar on either side from the ubolts to the front tip to prevent the front from tacoing. Note that unless you have a bit a lift, youll probably hit the gas tank, especially with the elocker motor skid. I also changed the design slightly. Instead of a hole to access the drain, i covered it completely. The skid does not lose any clearance, its still extremely tight to the botto, but You will have to take the ring around the drain plug on the housing, and shave it down to almost nothing.

Ill get some more pictures of the completed skid. As far as price goes, we'd be looking at about 200 or so unwelded.

#105 ·
View attachment 44930

Heres mine when i was working on it. I added and integrated an elocker motor skid, and i added a flatbar on either side from the ubolts to the front tip to prevent the front from tacoing. Note that unless you have a bit a lift, youll probably hit the gas tank, especially with the elocker motor skid. I also changed the design slightly. Instead of a hole to access the drain, i covered it completely. The skid does not lose any clearance, its still extremely tight to the botto, but You will have to take the ring around the drain plug on the housing, and shave it down to almost nothing.

Ill get some more pictures of the completed skid. As far as price goes, we'd be looking at about 200 or so unwelded.

clearance loss is minimal whether you shave the drain ring or add the hole like the original...1/4"-3/8". For that loss you get to slide over all kinds of shit and just forget about the rear diff entirely :D

I think I still have that full-size plotter schematic that I made up from your CAD plans...somewhere...

#108 ·
never had a problem with that. Some have gone to one of Marlin's hex wrench plugs but I've never had one of mine back out.

#107 ·
some FYI on this:
original idea was from 9th-degree (long since gone) used on the D44 Jeep rear and some front diffs. In '03-04 I called them asking about one for a Tacoma but was told they only do Jeeps. I then asked if they minded if I mod the design for Toyota and got the go ahead. My first prototype was on my truck for 5-6yrs and went through 3 revisions. Sold that and a couple others over the years.

Some 5+yrs back I got with another member here from the east coast who wanted to add this to his line of armor (Armortech?). He had a basic CAD plan drawn up and found a local CNC shop to make up one prototype. After market study and costing things out the price would have been too high to sell to the average owner so it got dropped.

I got with Phil a few yrs back and he did the CAD drawings based on my full size plans. Some tweeking to make one pan fit several models rather than several different pans I took the final to a local CNC shop who had the tools to make the basic 1-pc bent (9 bends) to shape but not welded. Again, cost became the problem as they needed a min of around 100 units to make it worth their while. Even then a DIY kit would have been priced well over $200 not including freight and a built/powdercoated unit close to $500. It got dropped again.

I gave Phil all my axle section build jigs (can make them for all Yotas to around '07) so it's his baby now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.