TTORA Forum banner

broken bolt in head

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  EMPIRE 
#1 ·
i was changing my wifes timing belt in her 2002 Mazda and i broke off a steel bolt in the aluminum head .The bolt is one of nine that holds the valve cover on . It shouldnt leak but is just aggrivating . I can get to it really good but was wondering if you guys ever used those "reverse drill bits" to back-out a seized bolt ? The bolt is 1 in long and broke in half , so theres half an inch in the head now . What should i do/use to get it out? I want to try and save my original threads but i'm scared to do anything drastic cause they are aluminum and the bolt is steel. Any ideas appreciated. :)

#2 ·
Drill a pilot hole in the bolt and use a bolt extractor to remove.Then run a tap through to clean the threads. There pretty easy to use so it shouldnt be much of a problem. If you have any questions id be glad to help.

#3 ·
DO NOT USE the reverse drill bits they don't work and they tend to run real bad and can really screw things up. Do what noaffilitaion said and if that doesn't work and things get screwed up you can always drill it out and put in a helicoil. Oh when drilling the pilot hole try to get as close to center as possible us a dot punch if you can.

#4 ·
My dad uses 309 SS rod, holds a nut over the top of the hole, welds a nut to the top of the broken off bolt and then wrenches it off. The flux gets on the threads so the SS doesn't mess them up, SS is notorius for running flux under the bead. SS is tougher than mild steel so it holds. Works well if done right. In fact we used this very technique with busted off extractors and everything still in the hole!

LOL better practice a bit first. :D

Wally

#5 ·
yeah that works good as well if you can get to it, I forgot about doing that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.