TTORA Forum banner

Sneak Peek at new FJ in the mud!!! w/ Ivan Stewart

6K views 32 replies 24 participants last post by  TacomaHopeful 
#1 ·
#2 ·
[QUOTE Sounds like its pretty capable...even more than the Wrangler Rubicon.[/QUOTE]

I dont see anything that would make me think it is more capable than the rubicon. In comfort yes, but for wheeling i dont see how it could be more capable as the rubicion has solid front and front/rear lockers

#3 · (Edited)
made in japan said:
Sounds like its pretty capable...even more than the Wrangler Rubicon.
Yeah, no... I'm actualy really sad that Toyota went down the path they did on this one, they've got Solid Axle trucks all over the world, if they wanted to compete with the Ruby (although I'm not sure they were) they would've built something closer to the Original FJ. I personaly think they were shooting more at the High-school/College Sorority girl crowd personaly, look at the cheesy colors and the kind of cartoony look to the thing. That said, I really want to see what some of the really killer builders do with the thing... I might be convinced to like the thing if they put a Solid axle and some tall skinny tires on it ;)

Ok, the guy who says "the Ruby was the closest in ability, but..." is just a tool for saying that... I'll bet it had some ability's... like locking both SOLID AXLES and shifting into the 4.3:1 T-case... God forbid a Truck actualy ride like a truck... personaly I don't want my truck to lull me to sleep thinking it's my living room couch. I Like that it's a bit rough, it feels like I'm driving a piece of machinery, not a chunk of my house.

#5 ·
UncleChris said:
Is that really a rosewood dash?

How special.

Looks like hype to get the H2 set.
LOL...no, its not a rosewood dash. All of the dashes are color-coated to the color of the vehicle. That one is the "Black cherry pearl" or whatever so that's why the dash is that color.

As for the FJ in general... I'm somewhat disappointed too. We all wish it had a solid axle, but I don't think it not having one was too big of a shock. I am more disappointed about the overall look of it, mainly the rear portion. I like it from the front back to the rear of the front doors (minus the cheeseball bumper), but from there back I just think it looks kinda silly. I hate the huge C pillar and don't like the resulting cave-like look of the inside because of it. Also, the little windows in the rear doors don't roll down or even have a pivoting latch opening. They're just port holes.
I dig it on some levels, but there's lots of things that are less than ideal. I plan to go test drive one when they get one at my local dealer just cause.

I think they will look pretty sick built up though... like the one that had the ARB bumper at SEMA.

#6 · (Edited)
VS.
Which would you rather wheel?

I'm a Toyota man through, and through, but DAMN...
...The 2007 Rubicon is pretty sweet!

This is definitely the direction that Toyota should have gone in, with the new FJ design. The new FJ looks like a wiener mobile next to this new Rubicon.

More Pics:

#7 ·
SAR_Squid79I'm a Toyota man through said:
DAMN[/B]...

This is definitely the direction that Toyota should have gone in, with the new FJ design. The new FJ looks like a wiener mobile next to this new Rubicon.
I agree. I can't wait to see the 4 door rubicon model...
I'm a die hard toyota guy too but damn, the rubi is looking good. When they come out (fall I think) I will definately be test driving one. If the issues of cramped interior and no room have been solved then I might have to get rid of the taco :( . The jeep would have to really impress me to take the drop in reliability, but the specs on it are impressive. :2cents:

#9 ·
I love Toyota's as well but the new Rubicon looks like the clear hands down winner when it comes to off-roading. Dual selectable lockers and LSD's front and rear, auto disconnecting sway-bar, not to mention solid axles front and rear. Oh and did anyone happen to notice the RTI score for the new Rubicon. How's a score of 832 sound in stock form sound :eek: That's f-ing amazing. Lets see the FJ get anywhere near that. I'm sorry Toyota but you don't hold a candle to the new Rubicon when it comes to a pure off-road machine.

#10 ·
OR_05Taco said:
I agree. I can't wait to see the 4 door rubicon model...
I'm a die hard toyota guy too but damn, the rubi is looking good. When they come out (fall I think) I will definately be test driving one. If the issues of cramped interior and no room have been solved then I might have to get rid of the taco :( . The jeep would have to really impress me to take the drop in reliability, but the specs on it are impressive. :2cents:

I seen a 4 door rubicon the other day at a gas station here in town. They had it all covered in black camo....and they were not real happy with me crawling under it. I wish i would have had a camera to take pictures because that thing was beat......looked to me like it had been wheeled hard.

#11 ·
4Rescue said:
Ok, the guy who says "the Ruby was the closest in ability, but..." is just a tool for saying that... I'll bet it had some ability's... like locking both SOLID AXLES and shifting into the 4.3:1 T-case... God forbid a Truck actualy ride like a truck... personaly I don't want my truck to lull me to sleep thinking it's my living room couch. I Like that it's a bit rough, it feels like I'm driving a piece of machinery, not a chunk of my house.
Hate to be anal, but the rubi's have a 4:1 transfercase. the 4.3's are an atlas case. Sorry own both a Toy and a Jeep. But I would love to get ahold of a FJCruiser if I can.

#12 ·
To add to the 07 FJC vs. 07 Jeep Wrangler debate, here's some pics of the new 4 door Wrangler. They are in this month's Petersen's 4Wheel & Off-Road:

I really like the look of it in the pic with the top on. Also, the model in these pics is not the Rubicon, so imagine it with larger tires (32" BFG Mud-Terrains) and slightly different trim.

Some things that the article noted:
*Rear cargo volume behind the rear seats is 46.4 cubic feet. With the rear seats folded down it increases to 86.7 cubic feet.
*Interior space is said to be better than old Jeep Cherokee XJs.
*Wheelbase is 116".
*Overall length is 173.4"
*Overall Width is 73.9"

Could be a winner...

#13 ·
To be real honest, I think they are both ugly (the FJ and the Rubi). If toyota wants to compete ,they need to get back to where they started. Like the FJ's. As for bone stock available, the Tacoma did beat out the jeep and the H1 hummer back in 2001 or so. This was overall offroad capability. They need to run another test like this. Honestly I dont see the new Tacoma, or any other product that Toyota has now doing very well. Even the 4-runners were very capable stock a few years ago, now I have to jack my wifes up to change the damn oil. I will have to buy a Tundra next, as the new Tacomas are not what they were, and they cost way too much for what you get.

#14 ·
i think that nissan went the right direction with the new Xterra (besides the bulging body panels) with a tough off-road truck that you could beat around, was easy to clean, and had a ton of hp. you can always find issues with these new cars being not tough enough, but i think that jeep and nissan were the only ones to really step back and say that they would produce a car that could actually perform off-road. hummer tried to do it, but as usual it is an engineering disaster, with a tiny engine, horrible visibility, and parts hanging down from the underside.

#15 ·
Eliot said:
i think that nissan went the right direction with the new Xterra (besides the bulging body panels) with a tough off-road truck that you could beat around, was easy to clean, and had a ton of hp. you can always find issues with these new cars being not tough enough, but i think that jeep and nissan were the only ones to really step back and say that they would produce a car that could actually perform off-road. hummer tried to do it, but as usual it is an engineering disaster, with a tiny engine, horrible visibility, and parts hanging down from the underside.
I wouldn't give too much credit to Nissan. I drove the Xterra, it is an attempt at a Nissan 4 runner. I drove one before buying the Taco and the thing was bloated and I did not feel it was anywhere near the Jeep in terms of capability.

#16 ·
more of an attempt at a cheaper 4-runner, for those who werent' in that higher price range. I believe you can get a fully-loaded Xterra (25,600) for less than the most basic 4--runner (27,600). those quotes are off the websites. given the Xterra doesnt have all the amenities, but you get my point. and i know that the jeep wayyyyyy outperforms the nissan, i was just saying that they seemed to do well at sticking to an SUV that was actually an SUV, not just a mall crawler.

#20 ·
but you have to look at it from Toyota's point of view. We (offroaders) are the minority. The average joe might go to the deer camp 4 or 5 times a year and maybe use the 4X4 twice. Toyota cant feasibly offer a solid axle, locked front/rear vehicle and expect to make money. The product design team came from Japan to the National TO in texas a few years ago (prior to the release of the 05 tacoma) and asked for input. We begged for man. hubs, SFA, more lockers, std in a double cab, more GC, and alot of other things. Their response was basically, "those things dont make us money". The average truck buyer wants a truck that is semi capable of getting to the back pasture, not going to MOAB. They design the tacoma's to be easy to mod so that we can easily do what we want to them. Sure they could have made the FJ a little more Offroad capable, but did you REALLY expect the california liberals to let that happen (had to throw that in)

#21 ·
Spacecwboy said:
but you have to look at it from Toyota's point of view. We (offroaders) are the minority. The average joe might go to the deer camp 4 or 5 times a year and maybe use the 4X4 twice. Toyota cant feasibly offer a solid axle, locked front/rear vehicle and expect to make money. The product design team came from Japan to the National TO in texas a few years ago (prior to the release of the 05 tacoma) and asked for input. We begged for man. hubs, SFA, more lockers, std in a double cab, more GC, and alot of other things. Their response was basically, "those things dont make us money". The average truck buyer wants a truck that is semi capable of getting to the back pasture, not going to MOAB. They design the tacoma's to be easy to mod so that we can easily do what we want to them. Sure they could have made the FJ a little more Offroad capable, but did you REALLY expect the california liberals to let that happen (had to throw that in)

Your right, and I understand this. I agree with them. Like you said, we can make them what we want, I just hope they do not follow all the other automakers path. And I hate the fact that I can sit up under my truck when changing oil, and I have to jack up the new 4-runner. Its nice for the road however. Oh well, as long as they stay durable I am happy I guess. And they are going to have to come down on the price! For sure on the Tacoma. They are the same price as the Tundra, and other full size comparable trucks. More expensive than some!

#22 ·
jhunter said:
To be real honest, I think they are both ugly (the FJ and the Rubi). If toyota wants to compete ,they need to get back to where they started. Like the FJ's. As for bone stock available, the Tacoma did beat out the jeep and the H1 hummer back in 2001 or so. This was overall offroad capability. They need to run another test like this. Honestly I dont see the new Tacoma, or any other product that Toyota has now doing very well. Even the 4-runners were very capable stock a few years ago, now I have to jack my wifes up to change the damn oil. I will have to buy a Tundra next, as the new Tacomas are not what they were, and they cost way too much for what you get.
I beg to differ. I think you might be surprised. I've seen a stock 4th gen walk right up an obstical immediatly after a locked 3rd gen with 305s. I'm not saying either is necessarily better in stock form, but those 4th gen runners (and I assume the new taco's also) can hold their own.

#23 ·
Spacecwboy said:
Are there any studies by car companies that backs this notion up? I tend to agree... I know that those of is who take our vehicles off-road more than a couple times a year on more than a dirt road are the minority, but I wonder if maybe we aren't as much of a minority as we think...? It seems to me that 4wheeling and the "sport" and hobby of venturing off-road is growing and maybe demand for capable vehicles is as well. I'm definately not surprised at the FJ not having SFA, or front and rear lockers, etc, etc, etc... but I think that maybe the argument that we are such a minority is being over-used. Take Jeep and the Rubicon for example. I don't know the actual numbers, but it seems to be a great success for them and I get the impression that they don't have trouble selling them. Of course some of them that are sold aren't wheeled hard or even at all, but even if they aren't there's a demand for well-built stock capable vehicles. I'm sure we are the minority, but I wonder if we really are THAT much of a minority. :confused:

#24 ·
OR_05Taco said:
I wonder if maybe we aren't as much of a minority as we think...? ...Take Jeep and the Rubicon for example. I don't know the actual numbers, but it seems to be a great success for them and I get the impression that they don't have trouble selling them....
Assuming there is a big enough market of people who want vehicles equipped like the Rubi, how many of them do you think Toyota would be able to steal away from Jeep if they were to introduce a 70 series, for example, in north america? Im sure they would sell some, and lots of people would likely buy them for novelty the first year they came out, but realistically they couldnt sell enough of them here to make it worth it at $42k apiece. Thats the USD price of the midrange 78 series sold in Oz. Thats 42 grand without most of the luxo options americans are used to seeing on their SUVs. Like A/C, CD player, power windows and locks, carpet, etc. Even a decked out Rubi retails for less than that, and jeep has years of brainwashing on thier side when it comes to catering to the general public. Im not saying they wouldnt sell, but it would be years before Toyota recoupe'd the cost of making the necessary modifications to make it comply with NHTSA standards; not to mention the tarrifs they would have to pay on them to import them, which would hurt their bottom line on all the other high-profit SUVs they import to the US.

#25 ·
Spacecwboy said:
If that was the end-all truth, then Jeep would not even be a word. Good-wheeling stock vehicles DO sell well. Toyota just doesn't wanna participate. Good post, I just have a different point of view.

#26 ·
SAR_Squid79 said:
VS.
Which would you rather wheel?

I'm a Toyota man through, and through, but DAMN...

More Pics:
The new Rubicon looks horrible! I would rather ahve the first one... if I where to ever get a jeep that is. Although wouldn't mind this guy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.