FJ for tow rig? - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

FJ for tow rig?

prob. gonna need a tow rig in the next couple years for my runner. Toy says it will tow 5K, my runner and trailer would be pretty close to that.....

So, would the FJ do it well? or just enough to get the job done? I noticed it is kinda heavy, especially for it`s size. The TACO with tow pack has a higher towing capacity 6500 I think...VERY HAPPY with all the toyotas I`ve been owned. Or I could get a used ram with a cummins..., but would rather have all yotas.

Anyone tow with an FJ, gimme feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 09:59 AM
save the bewbies!

Send a message via AIM to OFRD_GRL Send a message via Yahoo to OFRD_GRL
i tow a horse trailer with my FJ...

the trailer empty is 2400lbs
with my horse and a friends horse and all our gear im at like 4800lbs

it does great empty - barely notice the trailer at all
with all the stuff it still does decently. i wouldnt pass it as an option if your not trailering every weekend. but if your trailering OFTEN i would get something that has a higher tow capacity. you really dont want to constantly tow at your max capacity
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 09:59 AM
Cracker

I wouldn't be in a rush to go max tow capacity with a poor visibility, short wheelbase vehicle. A test run with a 20'+ Fleetwood Evolution II (3,400# loaded) was scary.

Tundra is a much better value and would be my first choice... mileage is close to a Taco, interior room, cargo room & visibility are better suited towards your needs and they are giving them away until the 2007's roll out.

Of course, "probably" in the "next couple of years" makes this discussion pointless at this time IMHO... the next generation Tundras will be affordable by then and an even better tow vehicle.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 10:40 AM
Bear's Chauffeur

Send a message via AIM to 98taco4x
I would go with a Tundra as well, I have pulled my 83 with my taco and its not fun and the truck hates me afterwards.

98 Tacoma 4wd xcab Sr5 2.7 auto, 265/75/R16 Kelly Safari TSR's, Mossyrock's Sliders, 881's and billy's, OME dakar leafs and shocks.
83 4wd pickup 22r some sort of lift, 5.29's, 36 tsl's, lockrite and spool, and a complete disregard for body damage alot more mods in the works

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode