All-Pro's new Transmission skids are now ready! - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

All-Pro's new Transmission skids are now ready!

All-Pro is announcing the release of our Transmission Skid Plates. These skid plate protect the vulnerable transmissions from damage on the trail. They are made of 3/16" mild steel that has been bent on a press for a perfect fit. The fit both manual and automatic transmission vehciles.

These skid plates will ONLY WORK WITH OUR FRONT IFS SKIDS.. They are 100% bolt-on and bolt to the factory crossmember as well as out front IFS Skid Plate.

Introductory price will be $89/ea.

They will ship bare metal.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to george.arnold
damn! that thing looks nice!

George

2003 X-Cab V6 Auto 4x4
Bilstein HD Struts|OME 881s|Small ToyTec Spacer|OME Dakar Leafs|OME Greaseable Shackles|ProComp MX6 Shocks|305/70R16 Goodyear Wranglers w/ Kevlar|Deckplate Mod|Cobra CB|PA|4ft Whip|Custom 'JFab' Front Bumper|Custom Sliders
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member

I guess I am going to be forced to ditch the ARB & get one of your front bumpers. Your front IFS skids only work with your bumper, and your new trans skid only works with your front IFS skid. Looks good. Is there any plan to make a skid that will work as a single unit?
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Our skids work fine with the ARB bumper... But, if you want to get rid of an extra 70lbs, by all means ditch it! LOL
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 10:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyC
Our skids work fine with the ARB bumper... But, if you want to get rid of an extra 70lbs, by all means ditch it! LOL
Oh, sorry. I e-mailed someone over there a while back and was told that the skids would only work with the allpro front bumper. I guess I will be placing an order. Thanks.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 10:50 PM
Member Dismemberer

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ShowStop
Quote:
These skid plate protect the vulnerable transmissions from damage on the trail.
Are they really that vulnerable? Usually whats more vulnerable is the transfer case. Seems a flat bottom skid extending to the tranny crossmember would be more effective as your skid rests above the crossmember, still leaving it prone to snagging on rocks.

Next Socal TTORA event - Big Bear - Aug 13-14
www.ttora-socal.com
SoCal TTORA on Facebook
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 10:58 PM
Veteran Member

I guess if you fall down on a rock that larger, your going to have other issues to deal with, but at least the trans will not be one of them if the skid holds up. More options for the transfer case is what we need. Im not familiar with those clocking deals, still reaserching them.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 11:44 PM
Veteran Member

Sweet product, but how about one for the '05 Tacomas?

~Robb
1981 Trekker- 220:1
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 02:55 AM
Going John Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowStop
Seems a flat bottom skid extending to the tranny crossmember would be more effective as your skid rests above the crossmember, still leaving it prone to snagging on rocks.
good point. that thing creates a place to hang up, frankly. I'd flip that sucker over so it is flush with the xmember and able to just slide over stuff.
add some 1" sides at a 45* angle for gusseting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teryx View Post
Yeah, well, I'm just glad I snagged a few Spector cans before EPA converted them to Sphincters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Jake View Post
Lube may be your best friend (depending on location).
'00 Excab Tacoma, 2.7, 5sp with a Bunch-o-mods
Inchworm Rock Walkin' Gear
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hytenor
good point. that thing creates a place to hang up, frankly. I'd flip that sucker over so it is flush with the xmember and able to just slide over stuff.
add some 1" sides at a 45* angle for gusseting.
I agree with the argument that one could get hung up on the edges of the AP plate, but the nice thing is that the AP plates provide a philospohical alternative to underside plating. The kind of smooth "slide over it" approach is already available in the form of the MAF/4+ plates (picture below - had to include it, that's my truck ) and some of the others. The AP plates much more closely hugs the underside of the body as a design philosophy...
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowStop
Are they really that vulnerable? Usually whats more vulnerable is the transfer case. Seems a flat bottom skid extending to the tranny crossmember would be more effective as your skid rests above the crossmember, still leaving it prone to snagging on rocks.
Yes, they are. I have seen a few dented tranny pans already in fact. And, we will also be building a tcase skid as well.

The problem with the flat bottom skids out right now is that they sit too low. What's the point in a flat bottom skid when you are highcentered on it and can't move anyway? Also, the design will also work with the new crossmember in the works.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 09:40 PM

Quote:
The problem with the flat bottom skids out right now is that they sit too low. What's the point in a flat bottom skid when you are highcentered on it and can't move anyway? Also, the design will also work with the new crossmember in the works.
Given where the exhaust cross over, muffler and fuel tanks sit, you probably can't make a flat bottomed skid that isn't "too low", right (what is "too low" anyway ?) That's a symantics issue... I've only ever been stuck on the ridge that has to be in the skid to cover the exhaust cross over - without that ridge, I think I would have slid over... Will you guys be extending further at some point? How will you deal with the exhaust cross-over? I've seen that dealt with by changing the pipe to hug closer to the vehicle further down the vehicle and behind the tcase:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ht=exhaust+fix

Last edited by mir207; 02-16-2007 at 12:08 AM. Reason: rephrase
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 02:43 AM
Going John Galt

Quote:
Yes, they are. I have seen a few dented tranny pans already in fact. And, we will also be building a tcase skid as well.

I still say a flat bottom and the ability to slide over stuff is a better way to go regardless of how low the complete plate is. Having that tranny skid up above the other plates like that only creates a spot to get hung up on, IMO. If the lowest point in a set of skids is all basically the same or at least has smooth transitions from plate to plate the rig can be pulled or pushed over anything that might high-center it. But, if you creat one high spot like that with a damn-near 90* angle you wind up with a real sticking point in the middle of the truck that can make it very hard to recover from.

Quote:
Yeah, well, I'm just glad I snagged a few Spector cans before EPA converted them to Sphincters
Quote:
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hytenor
I still say a flat bottom and the ability to slide over stuff is a better way to go regardless of how low the complete plate is. Having that tranny skid up above the other plates like that only creates a spot to get hung up on, IMO. If the lowest point in a set of skids is all basically the same or at least has smooth transitions from plate to plate the rig can be pulled or pushed over anything that might high-center it. But, if you creat one high spot like that with a damn-near 90* angle you wind up with a real sticking point in the middle of the truck that can make it very hard to recover from.
This is the inherent problem with all Toyotas out of the factory. They use that silly monster crossmember to hold everything up killing all ground clearance. Even my 88' 4runner had one. IMO, it wouldn't make much difference at all if it was a flat skid at that location. With the long wheelbase, and low crossmember, you're gonna need a strap to get over a sand dune, let alone a rock. You can always use reverse if its holding you up as well.

We simply don't see the point of adding things further below the factory crossmember to take even more ground clearance away. We've protected what is important under there. Its also far enough forward that I doubt it will be an issue. The Tcase area is by far more important and we are working on that as well.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via MSN to green96taco
very sexy

Dustin

1995 Tacoma Extra cab, Billy 5100s, Toytec Coils, Bastard pack rears, 285s

1984 Trans Am 370 LSX/t56.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wslytoy View Post
I know this one chick, she'll let you suck on her nipple you fucking titty baby. The kit is shit, not as in THE SHIT, but as in the stuff that comes from my asshole.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 11:29 AM

I wish that they came powdercoated already.

2007 FJ MT6||K&N Air Filter||OEM Rock Rails||TRD Quick Shifter & Knob

N.C. Beach Buggy Assoc. #12893
TTORA #13074
NRA #149022131
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 12:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo FJ
I wish that they came powdercoated already.
Spray paint it. Its something that is going to get scratched, plus you have to get on your ass to even see it.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 05:53 PM
Going John Galt

Quote:
This is the inherent problem with all Toyotas out of the factory. They use that silly monster crossmember to hold everything up killing all ground clearance. Even my 88' 4runner had one. IMO, it wouldn't make much difference at all if it was a flat skid at that location. With the long wheelbase, and low crossmember, you're gonna need a strap to get over a sand dune, let alone a rock. You can always use reverse if its holding you up as well.

We simply don't see the point of adding things further below the factory crossmember to take even more ground clearance away. We've protected what is important under there. Its also far enough forward that I doubt it will be an issue. The Tcase area is by far more important and we are working on that as well.
you really don't have to add much below the xmember, ie. 3/16".

something like this:

the tcase skid then butts up against that at the mid-point of the xmember.

My point is that you can slide over a rock just fine until you hit that xmember with its 90* angle and 2" 'wedge point and the truck will just stop right there. No strap will get it moving forward. You'll have to back up and reset the line. (I know, so what? ) We're not talking a lot of extra metal here so why not just make it a flat skid for the whole length? I really don't think a loss of 3/16" of clearance is a big deal.

Quote:
Quote:
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 05:58 PM
Banned

I have skids very similar to those.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode