TTORA Forum banner

2010 Raptor F150

37K views 176 replies 70 participants last post by  roobsesh 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
correct me if i am wrong but didnt ford kill of SVT, apparently they are bringing it back.

#7 ·
Amazing offering for a factory vehicle... I can only think of what could be done with just some minor suspension mods to go from just over 11 inches of travel to....? I didn't think an OEM would EVER offer a type of vehicle designed to be jumped... a crazy thought by any mfr!!! 35" tires... FACTORY!??

We'll see when they come out... but my guess is they will sell well.

#10 ·
Yeah... what he said. The links don't work.

#17 ·
Well, SVT never got completely killed. The engine in the Shelby GT500 is produced by SVT and has the badge in the engine bay. If you read all the posts on DR, people are split. Some people aren't impressed, but I think that's dumb. Highly tuned shocks (the rears have internal bypasses), extended control arms 35" tires, and "offroad mode" to name a few things. I think with air bumps rather than poly bumps on it, you could probably squeeze another inch worth of travel in the front. I think it's fair to say that nothing has ever come out of a factory that is as capable as the Raptor is. That's the same thing SVT did with the second generation Lightning. It owned the performance truck market while it was being produced. I think it would make a great DD and occasional toy, or a perfect tow rig for a race truck. Especially when the 6.2L engine come out.

#18 ·
CV Angles anyone?

#19 ·
factory warranty ;)

Maybe the CV is designed for the angles!

I don't play in the desert or go fast, so this isn't something I'm personally interested in... but the IDEA that an OEM would develop a specialty vehicle to this degree... gives me some hope that a solid axle crawler niche vehicle may not be that much of a fantasy... I don't have any expectations... but I'm certainly impressed with them sticking their neck out on this one...especially at this time.

#20 ·
Welllllll..There's not a body on it in that pic so I doubt it sits like that under normal conditions..But if it does there are Cv's designed for those angles.

#22 ·
you know what ide like to see??

once someone breaks it and brings it in for warrenty repairs, i wanna see the dealers reaction for that, bc off road vehicles break, its just what we do, build em, break em, fix em, repair em, race em....

in this case its buy it, race it, break it, and your fucked

i bought the off road package for my taco... it has off road in the name, and toyota said my 07s warrenty was voided bc i off roaded it... isnt that why i bought the off road package? or was it just for the preatty decals?

ide like to see what fords gonna say when so many ppl break it and they loose money on warrenty repairs (if they warrenty it)

#26 ·
I would raise hell... call the corporate offices and ask them what 4x4 means and what they expect people to do with it. Before I get to crazy... what were you tring to get fixed that they wouldn't warrenty?

#23 ·
No mention of 4wd, so it must be 2wd. If it was a mid-travel 4wd, I would have to think about . . . possibly . . . maybe . . . purchasing the first Ford I've ever had.

#30 ·
X2 I wish that I had bought a base Tacoma instead of my Offroad package. I ripped off almost everything that came with the upgraded package. Tires/wheels/suspension/color matched bumpers/fog lights etc. What a waste of money.:2cents:

#31 ·
While it's a cool concept, Its going to be WAY overpriced for what you get. 11.2 inches of front suspension travel? 07+ Tundra's get more than that with a replacement coilover and upper arm. I can't see spending $53,000 for a warmed over F150, sure the internal bypass shocks are cool and its nice to see Ford offering a off road oriented truck, but I don't understand the hype/price.
I've heard of people having problems with the cast lower arms cracking on the regular F150's, hopefully the Raptor doesn't have the same problems ( I'm 99% sure one of the videos says the lower arm is cast)

#32 ·
Well, there are several issues that I would like to address.

The warranty:

This is an SVT, so there are some differences in how you are treated and the dealerships you go to. Not all dealerships are capable of working on SVT vehicles. That being said, there might be something in the purchase contract about that. I would imagine though, if you brought up the videos where they flaunt it's capabilities you could get the service manager to do whatever you want. That's how I got Toyota to fix several issues for free on my truck even though it's dirty, beat up and lifted.

The price:

SVT is a premium brand, you pay a premium price for it. The interior and powertrain (especially the new 6.2) are far better than a Tacoma, even a built one. A built Tacoma will never be a Tundra, it's just not a fullsize. You get the balance of comfort and style and appearance. That's what SVT has built as a brand.

The capabilites:

Seriously, what do you expect? Did you think Ford was gonna throw a Class 14 on the showroom floor and say "Go for it buddy"? Get real. They are racing Baja with one as a Class 8, so we'll see how that goes. So you can slap on a coilover and UCA on a Tundra and get the same travel? Ok, so after you spend another $2000 on a brand new truck, you have certainly voided the warranty now. And what happens when you snap a control arm like the AllPros have been having issues with lately? As for the travel numbers, you know that they are reduced so they can be safe right? For example, the 03-04 Mustang Cobras. The put out 390 h.p. stock. For a supercharged V8, that's not that impressive. However, you put a K&N filter and after-cat exhaust, 2 simple bolt ons, and you had nearly 450 h.p. Throw a tuner at it and you're knocking on 500's door. I would say because of the bumpstops that Ford designed to keep stuff from bottoming out, also limits the travel. If you put some air bumps on it, I would bet you'd be over 12".

So, what's this truck good for? Well, it's a bitchin' lookin DD and occasional play toy. It would also be a great tow truck for your race truck. I like it, and if I'm in a place to buy one in the next year and a half, I will probably buy one

#34 ·
Well, there are several issues that I would like to address.

The warranty:

This is an SVT, so there are some differences in how you are treated and the dealerships you go to. Not all dealerships are capable of working on SVT vehicles. That being said, there might be something in the purchase contract about that. I would imagine though, if you brought up the videos where they flaunt it's capabilities you could get the service manager to do whatever you want. That's how I got Toyota to fix several issues for free on my truck even though it's dirty, beat up and lifted
I agree, I'm sure Ford goes the extra mile to please its SVT customers. For $53,000 they better, for example Nissan is busy fucking over people for driving their GTR's hard ( just like the advertisements and magazines showed,) Mitsubishi fucked people over with the whole SCCA BS, I'm sure Toyota would do the same, just like Ford will when they get the chance.

The price:

SVT is a premium brand, you pay a premium price for it. The interior and powertrain (especially the new 6.2) are far better than a Tacoma, even a built one. A built Tacoma will never be a Tundra, it's just not a fullsize. You get the balance of comfort and style and appearance. That's what SVT has built as a brand.
I'm pretty sure you can pick up a new Tundra w/5.7 for around 25k, put let's say.... $5,000 into it, you'll have more travel, 60 more HP than the base Raptor (20 less than the mighty 6.2) and a bigger rear diff. Fords mistake is pricing this truck out of a lot of the people in this sports reach, if they made the Raptor suspension a package instead of a 53k truck (like Toyota does with their TRD crap) they would have a winner on their hands. If these trucks were more attainable I would go trade my Tundra in for one today.
The capabilites:

So you can slap on a coilover and UCA on a Tundra and get the same travel? Ok, so after you spend another $2000 on a brand new truck, you have certainly voided the warranty now.
Magnuson-Moss warranty act: aftermarket parts don't simply void your warranty, it's up to the dealer/Toyota to PROVE the aftermarket part caused the failure.
And what happens when you snap a control arm like the AllPros have been having issues with lately?
Haha, you don't buy All Pro control arms! TC, Camburg, and PRG Products make control arms that you won't have to worry about failing.
As for the travel numbers, you know that they are reduced so they can be safe right?
Exactly, when people figure out that 11.2 inches of travel isn't enough for their fullsize truck to perform like the videos, they're going to modify it, and SVT/Ford won't touch it ( suspension wise).

For example, the 03-04 Mustang Cobras. The put out 390 h.p. stock. For a supercharged V8, that's not that impressive. However, you put a K&N filter and after-cat exhaust, 2 simple bolt ons, and you had nearly 450 h.p. Throw a tuner at it and you're knocking on 500's door.
Speaking of superchargers, a 5.7 Tundra with a TRD supercharger makes 505 hp, thats 105 hp more than the top of the line Raptor, and you'd still spend less than 53k .
I would say because of the bumpstops that Ford designed to keep stuff from bottoming out, also limits the travel. If you put some air bumps on it, I would bet you'd be over 12".
The way the bumpstop is on the shaft of the shock, I'm sure they squeezed the most travel out of the front, and I wouldn't feel comfortable having a bump off of the aluminum lower arm.
So, what's this truck good for? Well, it's a bitchin' lookin DD and occasional play toy. It would also be a great tow truck for your race truck. I like it, and if I'm in a place to buy one in the next year and a half, I will probably buy one
I agree it's pretty cool, but I honestly believe its price will cause it to be a flop.

#33 ·
Very well put menacecustoms. Most people only get 12" of travel with 4x4 and a long travel kit, but with only a bumpstop you could get that with a stock susp. I hope this truck takes off and more mfg's start making trucks for faster paced offroading, but Im not too sure it will sell all that well. Most people outside of the 3 southwest states dont even know why people build prerunners.

#35 ·
I'm pretty sure you can pick up a new Tundra w/5.7 for around 25k, put let's say.... $5,000 into it, you'll have more travel, 60 more HP than the base Raptor (20 less than the mighty 6.2) and a bigger rear diff. Fords mistake is pricing this truck out of a lot of the people in this sports reach, if they made the Raptor suspension a package instead of a 53k truck (like Toyota does with their TRD crap) they would have a winner on their hands. If these trucks were more attainable I would go trade my Tundra in for one today.
There is a lot more to an SVT vehicle than just suspension. I can guarantee (I owned and SVT Focus) that the interior quality and sound system and everything will be much more akin to a 4x4 Tundra Double Cab Limited. To get anything even close in the way of features and options you're close to $45k, so let's compare apples to apples. So after you throw your $5k (which I think is conservative) you're up to $50k. Again, remember this is SVT, they are not pricing it so that everyone can get one. Part of the SVT branding is exclusivity. For example, my SVT Focus was a 2002 Pitch Black with blue inserts. That year total, they built 4,788 TOTAL and only 589 in my color combo. And that was only a sport tuned Focus. This is a totally different level we're talking about here.

Magnuson-Moss warranty act: aftermarket parts don't simply void your warranty, it's up to the dealer/Toyota to PROVE the aftermarket part caused the failure.
Let's be serious here. They take one look at a truck that's modified and say, you're screwed because you offroaded it.

Haha, you don't buy All Pro control arms! TC, Camburg, and PRG Products make control arms that you won't have to worry about failing.
Exactly, when people figure out that 11.2 inches of travel isn't enough for their fullsize truck to perform like the videos, they're going to modify it, and SVT/Ford won't touch it ( suspension wise).
I don't buy AllPro, but some people do. And most of the people that will buy these won't modify them and will almost never even take them offroad.

Speaking of superchargers, a 5.7 Tundra with a TRD supercharger makes 505 hp, thats 105 hp more than the top of the line Raptor, and you'd still spend less than 53k .
Yes, let's speak of superchargers. Ford's can use them too you know. Roush's kit (which has been around and tested longer than TRDs) pushes the 5.4L to 445 hp and still retains a warranty. It is a smaller engine too, I can't imagine what the 6.2L would do with a huffer. If you go based on my price point I mentioned earlier of $50k after the bolt ons, you will now be above $53k at $55k with a supercharged Tundra. So, again, lets keep these comparisons somewhat similar.

The way the bumpstop is on the shaft of the shock, I'm sure they squeezed the most travel out of the front, and I wouldn't feel comfortable having a bump off of the aluminum lower arm.
That may be true, I will concede that.

So, in conclusion, again:
I am a huge Toyota fan, and I love the Tundra. However with my experience with SVT, I can personally vouch for the fact that it will be a better constructed truck in terms of overall quality.

#36 ·
There is a lot more to an SVT vehicle than just suspension. I can guarantee (I owned and SVT Focus) that the interior quality and sound system and everything will be much more akin to a 4x4 Tundra Double Cab Limited. To get anything even close in the way of features and options you're close to $45k, so let's compare apples to apples. So after you throw your $5k (which I think is conservative) you're up to $50k. Again, remember this is SVT, they are not pricing it so that everyone can get one. Part of the SVT branding is exclusivity. For example, my SVT Focus was a 2002 Pitch Black with blue inserts. That year total, they built 4,788 TOTAL and only 589 in my color combo. And that was only a sport tuned Focus. This is a totally different level we're talking about here.
IMO all of the bells and whistles are nice, but all they do is bring the price up. Imagine if this truck cost 15-20 grand less how big of a hit it would be. The SVT "exclusivity" is the problem, make the Raptor attainable and Ford won't be able to build enough of them.

Let's be serious here. They take one look at a truck that's modified and say, you're screwed because you offroaded it.
That's going to be their same excuse when people break shit on a Raptor, "but.. but.. the commercials and press releases said I can take it offroad"

I don't buy AllPro, but some people do. And most of the people that will buy these won't modify them and will almost never even take them offroad.

Yes, let's speak of superchargers. Ford's can use them too you know. Roush's kit (which has been around and tested longer than TRDs) pushes the 5.4L to 445 hp and still retains a warranty. It is a smaller engine too, I can't imagine what the 6.2L would do with a huffer. If you go based on my price point I mentioned earlier of $50k after the bolt ons, you will now be above $53k at $55k with a supercharged Tundra. So, again, lets keep these comparisons somewhat similar.
With TRD superchargers you can keep your warranty too, and still stay WAY below 53k. Like I said the concept is cool, but 53k is way too much for a F150 with a slightly modified suspension and leather seats.

Just imagine what the Raptor could do for Fords slumping truck sales if it was priced better. A top of the line truck isn't going to help Ford's slumping truck sales, hopefully the Raptors off road parts trickle down to the regular F150's eventually. I think the black, and white ones look badass

#39 ·
sorry bout the double post, POS comp wont let me EDIT... it was 10 miles off the road

and all this was before any lift, only the light bar and shell... they also stated that they knew it was abused bc of my light bar i had on it

my main reason i had it on it was for my own protection!!

#40 ·
IMO all of the bells and whistles are nice, but all they do is bring the price up. Imagine if this truck cost 15-20 grand less how big of a hit it would be. The SVT "exclusivity" is the problem, make the Raptor attainable and Ford won't be able to build enough of them.
The exclusivity isn't the problem, it's the point. And you obviously don't understand the point of a premium vehicle.

With TRD superchargers you can keep your warranty too, and still stay WAY below 53k. Like I said the concept is cool, but 53k is way too much for a F150 with a slightly modified suspension and leather seats.
Did you not read my post that explained that a similarly equipped Tundra would be in the same price range? I understand that the TRD blower still keeps the warranty, I didn't say that it didn't. I was just stating that you could still get that option with a Ford so you could keep this a fair comparison.

Just imagine what the Raptor could do for Fords slumping truck sales if it was priced better. A top of the line truck isn't going to help Ford's slumping truck sales, hopefully the Raptors off road parts trickle down to the regular F150's eventually. I think the black, and white ones look badass
The Raptor, even priced for you to afford it, will not save the slumping truck sales. We are in a recession, so there are slumping new car sales across the board. The only company that didn't see a 20% decline in the last quarter was GMC because of their employee pricing (which is a joke btw.). And even they saw a 16% decline. Toyota dropped 26%! So, having a cheap super truck isn't going to save anything. That's not the intention. They don't plan on producing a million of them. Wake up and realize what the point of this truck is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.