Rocky Gap last Sunday - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Rocky Gap last Sunday

CRC (Chuck) and I went up Rocky Gap the backside last Sunday. Just wanted to give a heads up to everyone. The trail has changed significantly. Several times I actually found myself wondering if we were on the right trail. The rain really washed it out and it is far more challenging. Enough so I'd highly recommend stock do not do it unless they have some armor as a minimum.

A stock FJ or Rubicon will make it, but get sloppy and you will jack up a rim or hit a quarter panel. I used to do Rocky Gap in 4Hi the whole way. Not this time. I spent the majority of time in 4Lo with the center diff locked and still got stuck. Granted I was leading, the trail was new and I'm notorious for picking the crappiest lines. Never the less, it is a much more challenging trail. I pulled out two fullsize trucks on the red rock side who got stock in the super soft rock/gravel that has fallen down the mountain.

For the first time on this trail, I was stacking rocks. A lot of rocks. It was fun, but I would not go it alone, and I'd make sure to have a full set of recovery gear. I took a bad line and was a few seconds away from winching out until Chuck was able to spot me through. It was obvious a lot of trucks had been through there spinning out and digging holes. I trashed all four rims but who cares, they are painted stock rims and some day I will buy aftermarket rims. I will say thank god I have Budbuilt skids.

It was still a blast and I will post up when we go back, I want to run it down hill from the Red Rock side. Plan on maybe this Saturday or Sunday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 09:12 PM

Sounds like you had a good time
Any pics?
If you need rims I have the stock factory rims and a set of aftermarket rims in
My garage...... Come get them and their yours. I would post pics but im on my iPod and I can't figure out how to post pics from it
Both sets are 6 lug 5.5.... Don't ask about offset

If you want to make a donation they are gladly accepted

2002 TRD SR5 xtra cab
Nfab prerunner light bar,KC 6" slim lights,Hella 75 fog lights,Hella bed lights,Hi-lift,Sway a way 2.0 coilovers, rear aal,on board air,cobra cb and firestick II antenna, L E D interior lights, Blue sea fuse box w/custom mount,grey wire mod,front diff drop,Vortex bedliner, deck plate and DWreck sliders

WARNING
This vehicle was modified by an insane person for a even more insane purpose. This vehicle is held together by duct tape,gum,and most importantly, Prayer!!

Last edited by sidewaystaco; 06-28-2011 at 06:42 AM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 10:45 PM

Scot, a bunch of us ran that at night a few weeks ago. It was interesting to say the least and definitely different than it was before the Winter.

'16 Tundra TRD PRO
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 10:14 AM
NVTTORA Ex-Prez....

Yeah, try doing it at night!!! It was FUN!!!! Had a great time on the night run!!! And don't think we ever stacked rocks or did any recovery!!!

Pictures????

My034runner; SR5 V6 4x4, factory Nav. Icon CO's fr/2.5" piggyBacks rr, Custom rear coil, 20% over stock. Full BudBuilts, MagnaFlow, Optima RedTop/Bluetop, 285/75/r16's and AllPro sliders & upper links, KurtFab lower links, Engel MT60 fridge, ShrockWorks front bumper, MM E9000 winch. 15, 10 & 5# co-2 tanks! 4 IPF & 2 PIAA lights, Garmin 60Csx, Uniden CB, Wilson 1000 Yaesu FT60 2 meter. ARB lockers fr/rr
Stuff to come, 4.56's fr/rr
NVTTORA New Prez...Again
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewaystaco View Post
Sounds like you had a good time
Any pics?
If you need rims I have the stock factory rims and a set of aftermarket rims in
My garage...... Come get them and their yours. I would post pics but im on my iPod and I can't figure out how to post pics from it
Both sets are 6 lug 5.5.... Don't ask about offset

If you want to make a donation they are gladly accepted
Awesome thanks! I'll take the stock rims and make a charitable donstion
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 12:40 PM

No problem
What side of town are you on and what time...Today works for me after
4:00
Tyson

2002 TRD SR5 xtra cab
Nfab prerunner light bar,KC 6" slim lights,Hella 75 fog lights,Hella bed lights,Hi-lift,Sway a way 2.0 coilovers, rear aal,on board air,cobra cb and firestick II antenna, L E D interior lights, Blue sea fuse box w/custom mount,grey wire mod,front diff drop,Vortex bedliner, deck plate and DWreck sliders

WARNING
This vehicle was modified by an insane person for a even more insane purpose. This vehicle is held together by duct tape,gum,and most importantly, Prayer!!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
No problem
Tyson
I'd like to see what kind of aftermarket rims you have! Can you text me a picture? If so, I'll PM you my number...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 05:44 PM

Pic sent

2002 TRD SR5 xtra cab

WARNING
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
No problem
Tyson
Summerlin...but in jury duty all week long..
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 07:34 PM

No problem
Let me know when you want to pick them up!
Tyson

2002 TRD SR5 xtra cab

WARNING
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
No problem
Let me know when you want to pick them up!
Tyson
Thanks for those rims Tyson! Hell of a deal!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWreck View Post
Thanks for those rims Tyson! Hell of a deal!
No problem..... Just collecting dust in the garage. But to nice to just throw away

2002 TRD SR5 xtra cab

WARNING
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 02:24 PM
NVTTORA Ex-Prez....

Okay guys......now that the rim situation is done, lets get this thread back on topic!!!

Scot and Chucks Rocky Gap day run!!!

My034runner; SR5 V6 4x4, factory Nav. Icon CO's fr/2.5" piggyBacks rr, Custom rear coil, 20% over stock. Full BudBuilts, MagnaFlow, Optima RedTop/Bluetop, 285/75/r16's and AllPro sliders & upper links, KurtFab lower links, Engel MT60 fridge, ShrockWorks front bumper, MM E9000 winch. 15, 10 & 5# co-2 tanks! 4 IPF & 2 PIAA lights, Garmin 60Csx, Uniden CB, Wilson 1000 Yaesu FT60 2 meter. ARB lockers fr/rr
Stuff to come, 4.56's fr/rr
NVTTORA New Prez...Again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode