TTORA Forum banner

Mother Russia - Camburg Tacoma Build

26K views 76 replies 32 participants last post by  05-TacoDblCab 
#1 ·
So I thought I'd share a little project we took on at Camburg.

Late November I got a call from a guy over in Russia who was interested in building a rig that could be used a higher rates of speed at an elevation of 12,000+ ft. You might think this is a toy, but you'd be wrong. This sucker is a Wolf Hunter-Hunter. He protects the Wolves from hunters in a 500KM area of Russia.

I was skeptical, but proceeded to send him a quote. By the following week he had purchased a brand new 2011 Tacoma 4WD Double-cab Short-bed 6-Speed in San Diego.

I went down, picked up the truck and the rest is history.

We are nearing the end of this build, and I can't wait to see the finished product.

Specs

Front:
Camburg Tacoma 4WD Long Travel Kit
Fox 2.5" Remote Resi Coilovers
Fox 2.5" Piggy-Back 3-Tube Bypasses
Extended 4WD Axles

Rear:
Spring Under Axle Leaf Pack
Fox 2.0" Bump Stops
Fox 3.0" 3-Tube Bypass

Other Equipment:
Bed Cage + Veritcal Spares (Spaced to maximize cargo room.)
4 Jerry-Can's
ARB Front Bumper
Hella Rallye 4000's
Glassworks Front and Rear Fenders
KMC Enduro Wheels
Nitto Trail Grappler Tires

See less See more
#47 ·
He's going to love that truck BUT, he's going to shake his head and say "fucking Americans" when he sees those EPA gas cans :D He won't have those a week. Hopefully Russian cans will fit that rack :rolleyes:

Teryx

#52 ·
Yeah, well, I'm just glad I snagged a few Spector cans before EPA converted them to Sphincters :D

#50 ·
man hunter vs wolf hunter

Yes those epa fills suck, Scribner cans are the way to go. But I imagine those cans will have a few extra holes in them with fuel leaking out very shortly. ;) Fiberglass, gas, plastic, rubber, and some vodka poured on top, that is a combo for a hot stinky black smoke fire. :D

I found some pics of the man hunter and his competition.
It would be cool if we could keep a score chart.

Here is a pic of the man-hunter.:cool:

Here is a pic of his competition.
These are big dogs.

Thanks, Cam-shaft

#54 ·
Yes those epa fills suck, Scribner cans are the way to go. But I imagine those cans will have a few extra holes in them with fuel leaking out very shortly. ;) Fiberglass, gas, plastic, rubber, and some vodka poured on top, that is a combo for a hot stinky black smoke fire. :D

I found some pics of the man hunter and his competition.
It would be cool if we could keep a score chart.

Here is a pic of the man-hunter.:cool:

Here is a pic of his competition.
These are big dogs.

Thanks, Cam-shaft
Holy crap!

#55 ·
Mother Russia! The "Wolf Hunter-Hunter" has been loaded in a container at the port of LA as of 4:00PM today.

Most of you know the story behind the truck, if not, here it is again. Late November I got a call from a gentleman in Russia. He wanted a truck that could handle Russia's toughest terrain. The truck is going to be used to travel to remote parts of the mountains in Russia. The area is about 500km and ranges in elevation up 12,000ft. Primary duty of this truck is to protect the Wolves from the hunters! At first I was skeptical, but after talking with him, I was confident that this guy was for real. After a couple more phone calls ironing out details, it was locked in, Camburg was going to build a machine capable of running rough roads, at speed!

Due to the amount of time it takes to build, ship and clear customs, the truck had to be done before Christmas. With all of the work both the customer and I had agreed on, this was going to be a challenge.

About 2 weeks later, we had the truck. The owner had some trouble tracking down a 6-Speed, so it took some time.

Original plans were to add a large transfer tank with a tool box for the bed. But, due to the 2-3 Week build time on the tank, and the amount of room that would be left in the bed, that idea was scrapped. The best alternative was very 5 Gallon Gas Cans.

There was also plans for other modifications that just couldn't be completed given the time constraints.

Enough about that, what about the truck?!

Stock Truck: 2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab TRD Off-Road 4x4 6-Speed!

(I know the photos are in a parking lot, I REALLY wanted to put it in its natural surrounding but the clock had run out!)

Body:
ARB Front Bumper
All Pro Rear Bumper
Hella Rallye 4000 Euro Beam Driving Lights
Glassworks Unlimited Fiberglass Front Fenders, Bumper Caps and Bedsides
17x8.5" KMC Enduro Wheels
295/70/17 Nitto Trail Grappler Tires
Camburg Bedcage with bolt in Jerry Can Holders and 2 Vertical Spares

Front Suspension:
Camburg Long Travel Off-Road System
2.5" FOX Coilovers with Eibach Springs
2.5" FOX 3-Tube Bypass Shocks
Camburg Extended Length 4WD Axles
Camburg Bypass Hoop

Rear Suspension:
3.0" FOX 3-Tube Bypass Shocks
2.0" FOX Bump Stops
Camburg Bump Cans
Deaver-Defined Engineering Spring Under Axle Leaf Spring Pack
Camburg Shackles

*Skid Plates were added after the photos were taken.

Thanks for checking it out.

If you want your own Wolf Hunter-Hunter Tacoma, hit us up!

www.camburg.com

-Jeff

#59 ·
My future father in law is a big game hunter and has been on multiple continents hunting... He's got a stuffed wolf, it was the 1st one I'd ever seen... needless to say, you come to understand quickly why they are so dominate in any environment that enter.

#60 ·
That thing is unbelievable! I bet he gave you guys at LEAST $7-800 for the build......

:)

#61 ·
I didnt see a skidplate, Im hoping you added one... past that, damn I want onem nice job!

#62 ·
What a cute truck Love it! where do u mount the 50 cal?

#64 ·
Great build! It looks awesome. A couple thoughts came to mind.
1-No sliders? That seems to be one of the most vulnerable spots.
2-No Hi-Lift Jack for those great spare tires?
3-No heavy duty communication antennas for the rig?
4-Only two off road lights? No supplemental overhead long range lights?
5-Was the gearing changed?
The build looks awesome, and it is exactly what I would like to do with addition of above mentioned points.

Thank you for answering the above and excellent work!

#65 ·
Damn, those are either some short midget wolf poachers or the still have Direwolves in Russia. If the poacher is any where near normal height those wolves are like twice the size of ours.

#66 ·
Those pics are from wolves in Idaho. The hippies that reintroduced wolves into yellowstone thought it was a brilliant idea to get the wolves from northern Canada, where they are twice the size of the "native" wolves. The wolves didn't like staying in the park, and are now busy infesting Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Oregon, and Washington state eating our cattle and big game.

#74 ·
Great Build!!
Curious to know how the truck performs in deep winter, our Alberta weather is similar,
were the shocks valved for cold temps? Is it an issue? Sure hate to have a set of chains let go in the wheel well. Armor and some shock protection better be on wolf's list

Awesome truck, its what all taco's mod to be!

#77 ·
I figured it out you guys built the rig for that new movie coming out with that guy from TAKEN didnt you guys? lol that part in the commercial where he tricks that guy into jumping across the revine is them trying to get that taco isnt it? hahaha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.