TTORA Forum banner

NEED ADVICE DEaler trying to screw me

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Dick Foster 
#1 ·
I need some advice here...So I had my release bearing replaced on my truck two weeks ago under warranty at 58,000 miles..well after a week the clutch started acting up again...took it back to Lithia Toyota Redding, Ca. and they recognized a problem still exists. Today they called me and told me their service manager and Toyota Corporate told them they aren't authorized to touch my truck since I had an aftermarket URD Stage 3+ clutch installed previously. Yet they didn't say anything about the aftermarket clutch the first time the release bearing I told him they had to prove that my aftermarket clutch was the problem. He said call corporate....VERY UNHAPPY at this point... 2012 V6 4x4

#2 ·
My guess is the release bearing was part of the aftermarket clutch. How can you expect Toyota to warranty other peoples stuff? Clutches are a normal wear part anyway. Toyota sold you a truck, they didn't take you to raise. I think you were lucky they replaced it the first time and now I think you're on your own.

#6 ·
well, I purchased a stock OEM clutch, pressure plate and bearing and the dealer is covering the labor...I figured since the truck is still under the powertrain warranty this was the best route so any future problems, which i believe will arise will be covered without a struggle...I will save the URD stage 3+ clutch for when the stock one burns out after 30K miles....dealer was willing to install the URD uprgrade kit if I purchased it...

#7 ·
Sounds like you came out ok in the end. Bummer about the weak clutch issues. My 02 is OE and coming up on 140k. I've smelled it too many times to count....

#10 ·
well dealer tore it apart, only to find my new URD Stage 3+ kit almost completely smoked and the flywheel cracked and burnt..of course the snout the bearing slides on was grooved....dealer said previous shop didn't do the install of the clutch correctly...but what i don't get is they replaced the release bearing 4 weeks ago..shouldn't they have noticed there was a problem then and if they didn't then this damage was caused by them being the last ones to work on it??? Tired of fighting with them...got the flywheel resurfaced and bought the URD bearing/sleeve upgrade kit since it was much cheaper than a new bellhousing....crappy part is now they are gonna install aftermarket parts and I don't think they will warranty their work now...ughhhh..

#11 ·
They will warranty their work or they would not sell you the parts. They would not have seen the other issues however unless they completely disassembled the clutch which you do not have to do if all you are doing is replacing the throwout bearing. Personally I would have pulled everything down just to look. But that seems to be more of a personal preferance on the Techs part. Good luck. From everything I have read, the dealer is not trying to screw you.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

#14 ·
Never had that problem with mine. I've only changed the clutch once and after the crawl box was installed I tend not to cook the clutch off road anymore. When you do change them, be sure to properly dress the flywheel or have it dressed. Not doing so is like changing brake pads without taking care of the rotors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.