TTORA Forum banner

60k miles service 08 Taco 4x4

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  alabamatacomaguy 
#1 ·
Have 63k miles on my Tacoma and plan on doing the spark plugs myself. I never did them at 30k so that is first priority along with oil/filter replacement. According to Toyota they said my transmission fluid needs to be replaced but I can't do it without some special computer.. Would this be the same for the T case? Anyone have any advice on this? I will post a similar thread about this regarding my 08 4Runner as they said there's a laundry list of stuff that needs to be done on that one for 60k miles and I'm not giving them $750 to do that but again they said I need some special equipment. Any help is appreciated.

#2 ·
No the transfer case oil you can do yourself.. Just drain and refill.. If it's a auto transmission I would have the dealer do a flush on it..I paid $227 for the auto transmission flush on mine a year ago..

You might want to change gear oil in rear end and front diff while your at it, there simple drain and refill as well, only thing needed for front diff is a $5 pump to fit a quart bottle of gear oil to make it easier on getting the oil in the front diff.

#3 ·
Manual or automatic? If it's auto, it's a 'sealed' transmission and doesn't need changed until 100k unless you're following the heavy towing/dusty roads schedule. It does, however, involved a complicated procedure and hook up to their computer to even check it. Has to start cold, be brought up to a specific temp, then run through a program, blah blah.

I had my 07 in for its 60k on Monday. I'd done most of the stuff myself (plugs, tc/diffs, oil) just before Xmas (because I was driving out of state and only had 500 miles before hitting 60k). Just took it to the dealer for 'inspection' items. I thought they were going to do the transmission fluid inspection since that's on there and I was told it was on their list, but they didn't and when I asked the service advisor about it he said there wasn't any need unless there were issues. He ballparked me $300 for a change. Something else on the list that they don't do is the engine valve clearance - I was told by both my dealer and a tech who works at another one that again, it's not worth doing unless you have a problem. Said it added 5 hours or so of labor (I did review the procedure in the service manual, and that doesn't seem out of line at all).

As tacoma2k said, the transfer case is pretty simple and straightforward, no special equipment or anything. There's a pretty good write-up floating around if you want it. And also like he said, I'd do both diffs at the same time (especially if you haven't yet). I'd also buy new crush washers to put on when you do it, but that's just me.

#4 ·
so I went to the dealer today to get clarification of what they meant by using this computer. My Tacoma is a manual trans so they said it wouldn't need the computer I can just do it myself. The 4Runner is a automatic so that would need the computer but not sure if it's 60k or 100k for those.

Plan is to swap out spark plugs tomorrow along with oil change and all filters but Toyota said they would change both diffs the tranny and t case for $65 and can be done in an hour so I'll probably do that simply out of convenience. The 4Runner is quoted at $750 for its 60k service so I'll see what I can do to knock that down but I think the transmission is the big issue why they charge so much.

Thanks for the replies.

#6 ·
Oh yeah, air filter. Forgot I changed that too. $65 doesn't sound bad for changing all three, depending on what they do or you want put in it. I use Amsoil, so the gear oil and crush washers alone were about double that, never mind labor. It doesn't really take that long. Unless your extender hose on the hand pump gets blown off the pump... a few times.

Diffs/tc:
Rear Diff oil blues.... - Page 3 - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Plugs:
Changing the Spark Plugs on the 1GR-FE (4.0 V6) - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

#7 ·
http://youtu.be/jLFOfji_Ow4

http://youtu.be/pr0Cjf481Zg

http://youtu.be/1XhAtvQWIv8

These are for an fjcruiser
But it's the same as on a Tacoma
Changing diff and trans fluids are a great places for people interested in starting to work on their own vehicle to save money.

ALWAYS take out the FILL plug first. Just in case it's seized or stripped. That way you know you can add more oil before you drain it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.