TTORA Forum banner

Failed rear end list in the 05/06 Tacoma

138K views 333 replies 119 participants last post by  bluet 
#1 · (Edited)
No one else has started a list of exact specs yet of who has had a rear end fail in the new (05/06) Tacoma so I figured I would make it easy for some one to find if they needed to bollster a case against Toyota. So here are the details.

1. Post your year and model (standard pkg, SR5, TRD sport, TRD offroad)
2. Size tires you were running at time of failure
3. Mileage at time of failure
3. Activities surrounding failure of rear end (wheeling, burn out, normal driving, etc.)

I think this would be a good source for anyone who has a new or old failure and needs support with arbitration or leverage at the stealership, Servco or with Toyota Motor Corp. Mods if you feel like this should be a sticky for the late tacoma folder or whatever than please move it where you see fit. Just trying to help out.

IF YOUR POST DOES NOT MEET THE ABOVE REQUIREMENTS OR IS NOT HIGHLY RELEVANT THAN IT WILL BE DELETED. This list is being formulated to help those individuals who have had a failure of their rear end and not to discuss it. Look for the post by Metu05 if you'd like to discuss it.

Tim

See less See more
#5 ·
I didn't limit it to just the e-locker since I read a post today about some dude in Canada who claims he tore up his rear end without the e-locker and just in case it turns out to be true (I doubt it). I've already deleted one of my posts and I encourage The Dick and anyone else to delete anyting that isn't relevant.

Tim

#8 · (Edited)
I have made an article in the Tech/Faq section under the "General vehicle information" section. If anybody else has a problem with this than please read the article, add your info and keep it relevant. Thanks

Tim

#9 ·
1. 2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road (E-Locker)
2. Stock tires/wheels 265/70/16
3. 10,000 +/- miles
4. 1st gear in my driveway. 6 inches of snow. In 4 wheel drive. And no I wasnt stuck!!

If you need my vin, I will be able to get it later, its pouring outside.

#13 ·
#16 ·
2005 Tacoma Double Cab
Off road pkg
6spd
8000 miles it blew out
285/70/16

And the following is a little bit of venting after paying my truck 3/4 off in the first year I owned it.

My paint peeled off daily. So I spent $3000 of my own money to repaint the truck.
F***U Kelly Lyles Eastern District Manager. In fact I did, I bought a pathfinder instead of a 4runner. Drive shaft blew as well as rear end, My truck continues to grind gears since this problem occurs and on top of this I have to diagnos every problem for my Toyota mechanics because if there is not a bulletin out they don't know what F*cking part to change. Danny Nou is the only district service manager that knows anything on the east coast. I would avoid dealing with Kelly Lyles at all cost he is a blatent liar.

#18 ·
Gadget said:
Does anyone know if the 05+ Elocker is the same as the ELocker used in the older Tacos and 4Runners, the 8" one?
yes, that is my understanding. same 3rd as the older Tacos. Tacos, Tundras and T100s also all use the same non-TRD or 8.4 3rd. I don't think the runners used the same one though. didn't they get the older, pre-taco 8" elocker? :confused:

#20 ·
3jooom said:
dont u guys notice its all 05 that have problems.. i think in the 06 they improved it so they can ivoid the problem
yes, that has been said several times now ;)

#21 ·
What was changed for the E-locked trucks in 06 and I'd assume the 07's to correct the problem?

#22 ·
BigMudTruk said:
What was changed for the E-locked trucks in 06 and I'd assume the 07's to correct the problem?
nothing. As stated several times in as many posts on this subject...the problem seems to have been with a few '05 elocker rearend ring gears, either some bad gear sets or some bad setups by the factory (in Mexico, I believe) that is now doing these 3rds.

#23 ·
Fair enough, I was thinking if they actually changed something significant it may be a worthy place to look for upgrades to those of us w/pre 05 trucks who have broken ring gears.

#25 ·
A Happy Ending

Finally have the truck back from the dealer after my Trophy carnage in Arizona :eek:
A new carrier assy would have cost me upwards of $1,400. Toyota warranty rocks!
It was good to get it back, and it drives so quiet now with a full set of teeth... :D

I now have a nice, new MADE IN JAPAN differential.

#26 · (Edited)
Interesting. Were some OR rear diffs on the 05's made somewhere else? I ask because my early 05 rear diff was also made in Japan and I have not had any problems,... yet. The build sticker on mine rear diff looks just like Docs 212 then the japanese writing the only difference is the build date, mine says 04/04/31, has B089.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.