Mtn bike - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Lucky13TRD
Mtn bike

I am looking to get into mtn Bikeing. I am not looking for a real $$$ bike but something with front and rear shocks. I am in socal so tell me what you have.

89 4Runner SAS Alloy axles, bellfields, marlin knuckle guesset, trail-gear SAS, 4.88s F&R, lock right in the back, chevy 63s w/double shackle, 37s MTRs, a sweet cammo piant job (soon to be green), Off Axis sliders, custom F&R bumpers, more to come.....

Spell check is the best invention since sliced bread!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to HoT_DoGgIN
I know that I dont like the front and rear shocks... i prefer just the front forks to have shocks. I've heard that the "hard tails" are more effecient, and when you're offroading or biking on trails, you have better control if you have a hard tail... I had an aluminum huffy piece of garbage as far as bike names go, btu it was bulletproof and very light, which was a huge plus... might want to look into something light, and with a "hard tail"

1998 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L 4wd Xtra Cab
~K&N FIPK Gen II Cold Air Intake
~3" Cornfed Suspension Lift
~Marlin Crawler Heavy Duty Clutch
~Chevy Tow Hook Mod
~Hella FF75 Lights & Custom Bumper Brackets
~Firestone Destination M/T's
~Lit Holiday Wreath/Grille Mod with Bow!! (xmas season)
~Wolo EC Challenger dual trumpet Air Horn -
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 08:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to xcmountain80
Alright brother finally someone to talk to with a topic that I am very familiar with.
1st take into account what type of riding you will be doing.
2nd What is your budget
3rd locate a reputable shop just cause it has shimano all over it does not mean its all good
4th front and rear suspension on a bike is all good but it all depends on what you can afford too
5th are you going to race or just trail ride or ride with your girl
email me if youd like id love to help

xcmountain80@yahoo.com

Aaron
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13TRD
I am looking to get into mtn Bikeing. I am not looking for a real $$$ bike but something with front and rear shocks. I am in socal so tell me what you have.
Everyone knows how to ride a bike, but if you want to learn how to riiiiide a bike, do it on a hardtail, you'll learn some serious skills that way. The former president of the North Shore Mountain Bike Association (Lee Lau), is a crazy and talented rider who prefers to ride a hardtail off a 10' drop...

Just like skiing, don't buy shaped skis off the bat, learn how to carve before you buy a ski that does it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some chick from American Dad
It's true what they say about geologists, they're the coolest, sexiest men alive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudferret
Suck my penal system.
[photos]
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Wow thanks for the help folks. Ill be looking at a HardTail along with SoftTails. Anymore suggestion would be great. Aslo I did BMX and street since I could ride.

89 4Runner SAS Alloy axles, bellfields, marlin knuckle guesset, trail-gear SAS, 4.88s F&R, lock right in the back, chevy 63s w/double shackle, 37s MTRs, a sweet cammo piant job (soon to be green), Off Axis sliders, custom F&R bumpers, more to come.....

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Wow thanks for the help folks. Ill be looking at a HardTail along with SoftTails. Anymore suggestion would be great. Aslo I did BMX and street since I could ride.
Buy a chromo hardtail with a short, and sloping top tube...

like my Rocky Mountain Blizzard...which happens to be for sale...

Blizzard=THE original free ride bike, and you can pretend it's a BMX too

Quote:
It's true what they say about geologists, they're the coolest, sexiest men alive.
Quote:
Suck my penal system.
[photos]
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks man, Do you know how much that bike runs for? I went to there site just no $$$. Thanks for the help

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 11:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks man, Do you know how much that bike runs for? I went to there site just no $$$. Thanks for the help
They don't sell a complete Blizzard anymore, they only sell the frame, and a sweet frame it is, Reynolds 853. When I bought my bike in '99, MSRP was ~1800 USD, but I was "sponsored" by Rocky so I got it for a lot less. Go to mtbr.com to research bikes.

Quote:
Quote:
Suck my penal system.
[photos]
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 12:38 AM

If you want to be comfortable and don't have goals of being a professional then starting on a full-suspension bike is totally acceptable. Contrary to what someone said, a hardtail is neither more efficient or controllable, in fact in many cases exactly the opposite is true. Today's suspension bikes are very well engineered to not rob your energy and by keeping the wheels in contact with the ground you are able to better steer and brake. Also you can remain seated over rough terrain while climbing which actually saves energy as well.

Are you looking to do all-around mountain biking or do you want to focus on XC or freeriding or any other niche in particular? Just like trucks, bikes have different purposes. You can build a truck for the desert, the rocks, mud etc. Bikes are the same. I know you said you want something reasonably priced but I'll spam a little anyway on the off chance. I am selling my custom all-purpose full-suspension mountain bike here's a link to the ad MY BIKE

If you think you want a hardtail, the Rocky Mtn that the other guy is selling is a great bike too, Reynolds 853 is a super high grade Cro-Mo and is good stuff.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 01:12 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

I have a decent hardtail that you could try out if you are in San Diego. The bike is for a shorter rider as I am vertically challenged. Or borrow a bike from someone and try a few different ones to get an idea of what you want.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 01:47 AM
dreamin' about wheelin'

dude before you buy try out my bike...

CA4WDC, BRC, and Tread Lightly
SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY AND THE HAMMERS!
WWW.FOJV.ORG
Keep the effort alive! Get involved!

Spotters are for pussys!

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 08:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to xcmountain80
Ok ok I race Mtn bikes and wasnt going to say anything Yes fact is I did learn everything on my hardtail there are pros and cons but you cant effectively argue the matter unless you posses both Honestly I like both of mine one. then when i could afford a sweet ass ride i bought my full suspension Santa Cruz Superlight I think an Ellsworth Truth is next.

Aaron
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 11:43 AM

Quote:
You should check out http://www.jensonusa.com/ in the heart of the 909. They're currently blowing out their '04 bikes. With regards to the full suspension vs hardtail, you'll generally get better components on a "reasonably priced" hardtail than you would on a "reasonably priced" FS. They do make a difference. If you're pretty sure you'll like biking, you might as well bite the bullet and buy a nice FS IMO. Check out the Gary Fishers, you get a lot of bike for the $$$!

909...RESPECT!!!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 02:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to Felixatvtc Send a message via MSN to Felixatvtc Send a message via Yahoo to Felixatvtc
To the origional poster, this has been the most helpful site(link below) i've found when it has come to mountains bikes. I just got into it a few months back myself These guys know there stuff, tons of great deal, and a lot of feedback on products

http://forums.mtbr.com/

Good luck

Josh

~some people dream of success....while others wake up early and simply go for a ride~
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAN_at_TLT
Contrary to what someone said, a hardtail is neither more efficient or controllable, in fact in many cases exactly the opposite is true.
I hope you're not referring to me, because that's not the point I was getting at at all. In a lot of cases, very technical riding, etc... I agree that an HT is harder to ride. It's a great way to steepen up the learning curve though.

That said, the only type of HT I'll ride is steel.

Quote:
Quote:
Suck my penal system.
[photos]
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-16-2004, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Ivan Ill look into that shop.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode