Sutherland Trail, spur of the moment trip - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Sutherland Trail, spur of the moment trip

Steve got his rig back together and we hit Sutherland Trail today. Sutherland Trail is near/in Tucson. Story is that Sutherland Trail used to run from Catalina over Mt. Lemmon to Mt. Lemmon highway and was created in the 20's or something to run powerline. After years of no use years and years ago, overgrowth and erosion makes the trail not connect anymore. We made it really far though, farther than anyone has in quite a while. Anyway, here are some pics. We're definitely gonna go back when my rig is bigger cause it gets nasty once you get WAY up there. Quote from the day was "You can tell the Tacamas haven't been up here, there's no rock stacking." LOL

Drive for a bit down the trail and reached this sign, looks pretty old.

A little ways up the trail

Where we are heading towards

Steve crawlin up the mountain

This is the wash crossing where most people turn around. This is just seconds away from some major gettin' some.

Going up one of the ledges(there is a double ledge and the picture is angled, it's steeper than what it shows). The ledges are slickrock and loose dirt on top after crossing water. After I made it up both Steve said, "Holy Crap! I hope I don't have that hard of a time." Just for reference Steve did spin tires a little bit on this part. Me, I was full throttle assault twice on the lower ledge and 3 or 4 times on the upper one.

Steve going up the first ledge, also note the freshly churned dirt from gettin' some

Quite a ways up now, getting closer to where we turned around

Looking back down at Catalina(North Tucson)

Sign where we turned around

Looking farther up the mountain, note this rock outcrop directly in front of Steve's rig for reference in pics below

Pic from on our way back down, the rock outcropping we turned around by is towards the lower right corner of the pic, we made it really far

Coming back down

From where we took off at, if you're good, you can spot the area we turned around at

For reference in the pic above, we made it to the lower right corner of this pic

Pile of crap

The endless wheeling cycle:
Build your bitch
BEAT YOUR BITCH!
Fix your bitch...
...GET SOME!

Axle Expert and Beat Your Bitch Connoisseur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 05:26 PM

looks like u guys had a blast i hope to check out that trail soon

as for now im on my way out to butcher to meet up w/ friends and probly do sicamore loop tonight

"AZ clique member"
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 05:20 PM

Thanks for the trail report and photos. That is a great area, I havent been on that trail.

Do you believe it is possible to connect the trail from Catalina to the top of Mt. Lemmon (Highway)?
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
Thanks for the trail report and photos. That is a great area, I havent been on that trail.

Do you believe it is possible to connect the trail from Catalina to the top of Mt. Lemmon (Highway)?
Well, one of these days we're gonna see where we can get to. It was hard enough just getting 1/2 mile past where they say you can't continue anymore. And from what we know, the next 1.5 miles is the same as the 1/2 mile we made it through. Steep, loose, brushy stuff. I'm gonna swap my axles on my Geap, stretch it and such, and so is another guy down here(building axles right now, once they are ready, the Geaps will get tore down). Then 3 of us are gonna hit it again with equipped rigs and see what happens. Me in my nearly stock Geap and another guy with a 1/2 tubed Geap that is built wasn't going to cut it.

Pile of crap

The endless wheeling cycle:
Build your bitch
BEAT YOUR BITCH!
Fix your bitch...
...GET SOME!

Axle Expert and Beat Your Bitch Connoisseur
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnas View Post
Quote from the day was "You can tell the Tacamas haven't been up here, there's no rock stacking." LOL

ahahaha.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode