CK night run in rain - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Desert Turtle

CK night run in rain

So, at the last minute Dave and I decided to run CK after welding his sliders on. While driving out there we noticed this massive storm coming down the CK mountain range. Before we knew it the rain came down and we were trapped between two major rivers half way between the CK trialhead and the start of the dirt road by lake pleasant. I really didn't want to end up on the lte night news so we waited for the rain to stop and the washes to subside. We did end up running CK with no breakage. Lots-o-mud though.
The last video in the "Crown King 7-21-07" folder in my webshots link below shows me driving up stream through the river. I definatley investigated it before heading in. Man that trail has changed so much. It really is stock friendly, and possibly prerunner friendly. There has been so much traffic through there that most of the hard obsticles have been filled in with rocks

Linked, locked, and blown one ton monster on 40's!!
08 2500 4x4 Cummins tow rig and DDmmmmmmm,
Pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/user/kaistie

Last edited by Kaistie; 09-25-2007 at 07:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 05:40 PM

Nice, yea, it is quite easy compared to the past, but that changes fast with rain or snow, deffinatly not prerunner freindly then. Nice pics, that looks like a blast.

2004 Tacoma TRD Double Cab 4x4!
Saws 2.0, Rear AAL
285x75x16 BFG Muds.
Stubbs sliders. All Pro Skids
All Pro winch bumper-Mile Marker SE9500C/
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Desert Turtle

On a normal day with no rain/snow, I wouldn't be suprised to see a prerunner get through there. There are a few spots that might take a little extra skinny, but doable. It really is a shame from a 4wheeler standpoint that the trail has become so easy. I know the benifits for fire control, but for our purposes it sucks. At least there are some of the hard obsticles still left, but those are getting beat down too with all the rock stackers.

Pictures:
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 10:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to yotachick03 Send a message via MSN to yotachick03
Nice, looks like you at least had some good scenery to enjoy while you were stuck =)

~Holly~
03 double cab
myspace.com/bansheeblue
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member

were you guys able to run the "alternate routes" in some of the sections or was it too muddy?
was comming back to phx from flag sat evening and could see the rain pounding that mountain range, wish i would have done some night wheeling!!
i got rain, hail and a tiny bit of snow running some trails north of flag up in the hills
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Desert Turtle

I took all of the optional lines without any probelms. In fact, for some reason it did not rain as much in the mountains and the trail was just wet enough to provide the perfect amount of traction, yet not so wet it was mud. really you couldn't have asked for a better surface to wheel on. It was strange though to see all that rain and water before we got on the trail, then see hardly nothing toward the top. Probably one of the better trip I have been on in a long time, and it was spur of the moment. The rain was awsome, scenary was spectacular, and the desert smeels awsome after a good rain. For some reason that smell takes me back to my childhood, lots of good memories.

Pictures:
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Desert Turtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotachick03 View Post
Nice, looks like you at least had some good scenery to enjoy while you were stuck =)

Yeah, Dave said you were running it on the 4th? You should have no problems.

Pictures:
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2007, 11:52 PM

David wants me to run ck in my truck on the 4th but I have a stock tacoma and am a little worried about it. I am a newbie and dont exactly feel comfortable. He thinks I will make it no problem though...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues View Post
David wants me to run ck in my truck on the 4th but I have a stock tacoma and am a little worried about it. I am a newbie and dont exactly feel comfortable. He thinks I will make it no problem though...

You'll be fine! The LP/CK trail is perfect for getting to know what you and your truck can do. Since the ledge at the Oro Belle has been removed, sliders aren't needed anywhere on the trail if you choose to take some of the bypasses.

The sky was blue on Tuesday...
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2007, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

Wow, that looks like fun! I've gotta start exploring.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 11:19 AM

Send a message via MSN to mpltclark
Quote:
The one time that I've run CK was when my truck was still stock with the Rugged Trails. I had no problems and did most of the alternate routes.

Hope to see you there on the 4th!!

Silver '02 Taco, x-cab, Stepside, 3.4L, TRD, SR5, Manual Tranny, Greywire Mod, Rear Diff Breather, CO2 System, Sliders, 2LO Mod, SAW 2.0s(2 3/8"), Leaf Pack Rebuild (2 1/2"), 5125s, Black Steelies, Maxxis Bighorns (265/75 R16)
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpltclark View Post
The one time that I've run CK was when my truck was still stock with the Rugged Trails. I had no problems and did most of the alternate routes.

Hope to see you there on the 4th!!
ya, i'll be there on the 4th. I've done ck before several times just never in this truck. dave said that the trails have mostly been graded and that i'll be fine so im going to go for it instead of just riding passanger.
i look forward to meeting some of you and being able to place a face with a name.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Desert Turtle

Quote:
ya, i'll be there on the 4th. I've done ck before several times just never in this truck. dave said that the trails have mostly been graded and that i'll be fine so im going to go for it instead of just riding passanger.
i look forward to meeting some of you and being able to place a face with a name.
I now understand who you are Holly. Sorry for the confusion before. As Dave mentioned it is easy. Just be careful of that one big drop off down the cliff Just kidding Have fun!

Pictures:
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaistie View Post
I now understand who you are Holly. Sorry for the confusion before. As Dave mentioned it is easy. Just be careful of that one big drop off down the cliff Just kidding Have fun!
I was hoping you'd figure it out
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 09:55 AM

Send a message via MSN to mpltclark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaistie View Post
Yeah, the sudden stop at the bottom is really rough on the sheet metal!

Silver '02 Taco, x-cab, Stepside, 3.4L, TRD, SR5, Manual Tranny, Greywire Mod, Rear Diff Breather, CO2 System, Sliders, 2LO Mod, SAW 2.0s(2 3/8"), Leaf Pack Rebuild (2 1/2"), 5125s, Black Steelies, Maxxis Bighorns (265/75 R16)
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode