Crown King 3/29/08 - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Crown King 3/29/08

Crown King is definitely on my list of trails to run again and getting back up into the pines made me miss the mountains even more.

Ran into the virtural jeep on the trail, a stock nissan frontier (rock panels were beat up)and a full size single cab dodge ram.

Friday night camp at Lake Plesant. (We where joined by some wild donkeys around 3am):

First bypass (took me three tries to get up, first try I attempted it in 4Hi for some reason and didn't make, 2nd guessed myself on this one ). Not my vehicle pictured but another group member:

A little group hudle waiting for a jeep to go up the 3rd bypass (I passed on this one and went ahead up the road)

Poor 4runner at the lunch spot (the vultures started to swarm over it )

Other random landscape photos:

On the way out. lol:

The rest of the photo's can be found here and I about flopped my 4runner explode: (don't ask)??

http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t...g%203-29-2008/

2000 Toyota 4runner - Totaled

2002 Toyota 4runner - a work in progress.

Last edited by thenexus; 03-30-2008 at 11:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 05:24 PM
Desert Turtle

"Bang" you say...? Did you explode a CV? Or, did you mean "Dang"? Looks like we need to do an extraction...
So you tell us you about flopped, but don't want us to ask. So, what happened?

Linked, locked, and blown one ton monster on 40's!!
08 2500 4x4 Cummins tow rig and DDmmmmmmm,
Pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/user/kaistie
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Took one of the bypasses up on the graded portion and kept slidding over. So I took a different line and got a little too high up on the side. Started to back up to reposition and started leaning towards the drivers side a little too much.
Backed up a little more (while my leg was shaking) so the passenger side would come back down and took the line again just not so high up this time and made it (I still have a lot to learn, only been doing this for less than a year).

Fixed the bang.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member

It doesn't look like you were air'd down or locked in the rear...

Change those two things and you'll be amazed what that IFS will climb.

I have a 2000 Tacoma that I wheeled for years, before upgrading...
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvanst View Post
It doesn't look like you were air'd down or locked in the rear...

Change those two things and you'll be amazed what that IFS will climb.

I have a 2000 Tacoma that I wheeled for years, before upgrading...
T did get locked in the rear with a little and from Sonoran Steve.

Looks like a good trip. I can't wait to get back out on the trail!!
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 12:10 AM

awesome, i was just looking at taking my 2000 taco up to crown king, since i'm always wheeling behind pleasant and see the rock spray painted "CC -->" haha. now i really wanna go.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 12:23 AM

I took that trail in my 2000 a year ago. I was with a jeep and a taco, all set up for wheeling, I didn't know we were going up to crown king when we left, I thought we were just going to goof off around the back side of pleasant.

We'll needless to say, about 1/4 of the way I realized and confirmed with the leader (who didn't tell the taco or myself what we were doing) that we were making the crown king run. Oh yeah, our start time was 7:00PM. Got lost for a minute, taco got a flat and a man dent in the right rear of the box fender and I knocked my alignment out of whack on a rock. Arrived in Crown King at around 4:00AM. I was not a happy 4wheeler.

The worst part is that I have only been on that trail once and it was at night and I didn't have a camera and couldn't see any of the scenery. Needless to say the taco and I don't wheel with the Jeep any more. @sshole!!! However, I am to blame since I didn't make sure of what we were doing before we left.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

There was a new stock nissan frontier that was holding everyone up for a bit until they finally pull off. When we passed by the rock panels showed signs of damage.

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 10:13 AM

Its doable with out lockers. I did it last August and didn't need to take any of the bypasses.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 01:27 PM

Doing the bypasses is another story, but I've taken my 4runner when brand new (to me) stock up there no problem. I've seen a full size chevy double cab stock make it just fine.
Add in the bypasses for extra fun, but just about anyone in anything can make it up the main trail if you stick to the main easy road.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

HeHeHe:

[/

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soaz View Post
Add in the bypasses for extra fun, but just about anyone in anything can make it up the main trail if you stick to the main easy road.

bypasses = easy way around obstacle

I went thru the "hard" stuff.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco_toy View Post
bypasses = easy way around obstacle

I went thru the "hard" stuff.
Yah, when I noticed that others had used the term incorrectly I just kept it the same to cut down on confusion.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 07:27 AM

I went up a few weeks ago during that last cold cloudy day, and it was snowing at the first big opsticle, and it was stickin at the lunch area, and the beat up vehicle was upside down then............was about 2" on the ground there late in the afternoon it was great.

2004 Tacoma TRD Double Cab 4x4!
Saws 2.0, Rear AAL
285x75x16 BFG Muds.
Stubbs sliders. All Pro Skids
All Pro winch bumper-Mile Marker SE9500C/
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 11:29 PM

i was up there sunday. my taco was the rescue vehicle for the day. both friends i went with required my tow. one of the rescued was a 06 taco. the driver was retarded and decided to drive it into one of the huge runoffs.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2404/...cb5716fabe.jpghttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2404/...cb5716fabe.jpg

02 Taco std cab 2.7 4x4
4:88s Locked front and rear
procrastination is like masturbation. it feels good at first, but in the end you are only screwin yourself.

Last edited by TacomaNic; 04-01-2008 at 11:32 PM. Reason: the images didn't work
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Desert Turtle

Knucklehead!

Pictures:
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaistie View Post
Knucklehead!
no kiddin...to make matters worse he has 3 inch coil spacers and a block in the back. i tried to save him from them but he would not listen. he is the epitome of a knucklehead.

02 Taco std cab 2.7 4x4
4:88s Locked front and rear
procrastination is like masturbation. it feels good at first, but in the end you are only screwin yourself.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 10:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to aj44mc Send a message via MSN to aj44mc Send a message via Yahoo to aj44mc
I have an 05 Prerunner Off road. I am considering this trail and have been eyeballing it for a while. I am worried since this is my first non 4X4 and i know my 86 and 92 were able to handle anything I threw at them. I have a 3" coil lift with AAL in the rear, If I would like to avoid body damage should I avoid this trail? Here is a pic of my ride. Thank you

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Desert Turtle

Lets see, nurf bars, chrome tip, shinny wheels, no 4 wheel drive, not even a locker.....yes, please stay off the trail. What will end up happening is you will accomplish all three of the following;
A.Destroy the trail with full throttle assults on obstacles easly made by open 4 wheel drives
B.Stack the shit out of the place trying to get through.
C.Bum some poor person out that has to drag your ass out.
Oh, and that skid will sustain damage on a two wheel drive truck. You are in effect shoving the front of your truck over rocks.
Seriously, you should have bought a 4x4, or even the TRD version if you really wanted to wheel.

Pictures:
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj44mc View Post
I have an 05 Prerunner Off road. I am considering this trail and have been eyeballing it for a while. I am worried since this is my first non 4X4 and i know my 86 and 92 were able to handle anything I threw at them. I have a 3" coil lift with AAL in the rear, If I would like to avoid body damage should I avoid this trail? Here is a pic of my ride. Thank you

there is 2 spots you may have trouble with not being 4x4 even with a rear locker. i dont think body damage would be an issue. the first spot woul be the hard left hand turn at oro bella and a rock out cropping after that. other than those you shouldnt have much trouble
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member

You run the risk of being ticketed by Prescott National Forest Service Law Enforcement if you are on the trail without 4x4. The LP/CK road is closed to non 4x4 vehicles.

The sky was blue on Tuesday...
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 12:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to aj44mc Send a message via MSN to aj44mc Send a message via Yahoo to aj44mc
Quote:
Lets see, nurf bars, chrome tip, shinny wheels, no 4 wheel drive, not even a locker.....yes, please stay off the trail. What will end up happening is you will accomplish all three of the following;
A.Destroy the trail with full throttle assults on obstacles easly made by open 4 wheel drives
Oh, and that skid will sustain damage on a two wheel drive truck. You are in effect shoving the front of your truck over rocks.
Seriously, you should have bought a 4x4, or even the TRD version if you really wanted to wheel.
I do have a locker, I never hit obstacles with a full throttle assault. Usually that does more harm than good to both traction and trail. I have a TRD version as noted in previous message it is the offload version of the TRD package, I am sorry I should have made it more clear. I am pretty familiar with off roading so if I do go I will make sure I bring someone who would not be bummed out if they do have to help me out. I also, have never had a problem pulling people out of tough situations with my other 4X4 trucks.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 01:00 PM
---------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj44mc View Post

Quote:
Not to mention that 4x4 is required on CK - if the forest service catches somebody on it without 4 wheel drive they will seriously fine you!
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler#976 View Post
You run the risk of being ticketed by Prescott National Forest Service Law Enforcement if you are on the trail without 4x4. The LP/CK road is closed to non 4x4 vehicles.
I guess this answers my question. I will have to hitch a ride with someone else. thank you for your help.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 02:50 PM
Desert Turtle

My first comment is the reason that law exists.

Pictures:
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Symon623 Send a message via MSN to Symon623 Send a message via Yahoo to Symon623
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOVADS View Post
there is 2 spots you may have trouble with not being 4x4 even with a rear locker. i dont think body damage would be an issue. the first spot woul be the hard left hand turn at oro bella and a rock out cropping after that. other than those you shouldnt have much trouble
You mean the loose hill climb to go around the washout?

I say keep that perty thing at teh mall where it belongs until you get a long travel kit, some coil overs and air bumps for REAL prerunnin. AND still stay out of this trail.

Sy
85 Syota, 6.0/700r4/203/300/60's/Detroits/37 PBRR's/§XX§
02 Cummins tow rig, a few goodies
High Country Renegades
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 04:00 PM

Ill remember that.
  • Off road at the mall - Check
  • Stay away from big bad 4X4 toyota trails - Check
  • wash wheels and polish crome - Check

I think I got it now. I am pretty sure I can handle myself now.
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 04:59 PM

Wink

Shit is it hot in here.
Little harsh on the guy.

I think the truck would make it, but with some scratches here and there, but because of the forest service and other issues like clogging up the trail (this one is mostly one lane) I would say no.
A good one to take would be the seven springs road to bloody basin and over to the sheep bridge. Another one that would be fun is the back way up to mount lemon etc.
If you do some slightly harder trails like Sunflower or CK, try to go when there is less traffic (weekdays) with at least 2 other 4x4's with tow straps.
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member

Wow, nobody directed him to customtacos yet. Welcome,the guys can be a little hard at first. Like SOAZ said if you do some harder trails have somone there that can get you out of a stuck situation.

84 Toyota Crawler
98 4Runner Limited 4x4 e-locker
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member

the front road is graded and leads to ck.......
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode