Hard Jerk When Driving - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Angry Hard Jerk When Driving

I have a 1991 4Runner 3.0 5 spd. When I am driving on the city streets or freeway I have a one or two second hard jerk and then continues smooth again. Doesn't do it wheeling only on smooth roads. No engine light as new tune up complete and 02 tested ecm, mass air flow meter, distributor, coil, no codes, added grounds and cleaned old ones. The next thing is to drop tank, installing new fuel pump and relay. I know everybody is going to say put a 3.4 in it. I have to make good with what I have. Any ideas?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member

what do you mean jerk? does it suddenly stall then surge with power? does the wheel jerk from straight to one side or the other? are you doing something you shouldnt be driving with one hand?

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 03:26 PM

first off, ease up on your grip
what about spark plug wires, a bad wire will do this. also maybe dist cap? also thinking about maybe a fuel pump on its way out. just some ideas..

If women don't find you handsome at least let them find you handy. thats why i'm a handy mofo.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 03:38 PM
Ban Count: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by purity View Post
what do you mean jerk? does it suddenly stall then surge with power? does the wheel jerk from straight to one side or the other? are you doing something you shouldnt be driving with one hand?
Good question. Sounds like it stalls and surges. I was thinking it was a steering issue by the wording.

To the OP, check your fuel filter(s) if it sounds like a fuel issue to you.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Momentary Loss Of Power

It is just a momentary loss of power. One to two seconds. No check engine light, no codes. Has new plugs, wires, cap, rotor and a new 02 sensor. Will be changing fuel pump, fuel filter and fuel pump relay. We did get a dealer recall for the steering relay rod and it was done last week. Sorry new to posting threads and again sorry I did not make myself clear any ideas??????
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode