Reassembling rear end... - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Reassembling rear end...

im in the process of replacing my rear axle housing on my '92 4x4 pickup. few questions:

1. i cut my U-bolts to get them off. can i use a u-bolt flip kit and keep the stock lower strut mount plates? all i need are new u-bolts but the flip kit is as cheap as 4 individual ones but i think they need custom welded new strut mounts...

2. i need to replace the two triangular center bumpstops. where is the cheapest source for replacements? could i still use stock ones with the flip kit (dont think i can) or should i just custom mount a set of bumpstops to the upper brackets that hang off of the frame?

3. what are those round bushings called that are mounted toward either end of the rear leaf springs? not at the very ends but hanging off of the top between two vertical tabs/brackets. 2 of mine are missing, just the brackets are there - they appear to be bumpstops as well?

4. anybody recommendations for a good website for rear brake parts? i need drums / shoes / cylinders.

i can post pictures tonight if necessary. any help would be great, its sitting in pieces and id like to get parts ordered so i can get it back together again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 01:50 PM
What's Mommy Say?

Send a message via AIM to jtaco1
1. I would get the u-bolt flip and weld a set of shock tabs to the axle. I did this on my 4 Runner, works fine.

2. You can reuse the stock ones and tack them to the u-bolt flip plate, or pick up a set of universal bumpstops, ebay has them often, and mount them to the bracket that hangs down from the frame. This is how mine are mounted.

3. Those are to hold the springs if too much weight is put in teh bed, I wouldn't worry too much about them.

4. For brake parts, check out Rock Auto online. They usually have great pricing and all the parts needed.

JT

DD - 05 Toyota 4 Runner
Trail Rig - 88 4 Runner with dual cases w/ 4.7's, 37" PB Rockers and no lift

Was
99' Toyota Tacoma Crushed by Toyota
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

sounds good. i am assuming shock mounts are designed to work with stock length shocks? i will have to look into a pair of those to supplement the flip kit. i still have to get the TG armor welded on so i will get these done at the same time.

and rockauto does appear to have good prices... thanks for the website!
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 05:53 PM

2) http://www.suspension.com/Bumpstop.htm <- simple mounting with a post & nut + these guys are easy to deal with, I always go to them for any urethane/bumpstop needs

-Keith-
'88 4runner SR5 - 3L 7MGE - Marlin HD W56 - 4.56 V6 Thirds - 7.5" Supra LSD up front - 33x10.5 KM2's - home fab front and rear bumpers - OME Dakar rear springs w/ Bilstein 5150 reservoir shocks - Garage thread

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by corax View Post
2) http://www.suspension.com/Bumpstop.htm <- simple mounting with a post & nut + these guys are easy to deal with, I always go to them for any urethane/bumpstop needs
thanks for the link. i actually ordered a set of the 2-1/8" x 2" conical bushing, its the top left #9.9101 (Energy Susp). got it on Summit for 14 shipped, a pair of black ones. going to fit nicely on that bracket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaco1
4. For brake parts, check out Rock Auto online. They usually have great pricing and all the parts needed.
you werent kidding, they had a set of Rancho OE u-bolts for $30 including hardware, with combined shipping with the other brake parts i purchased - 2x drums, shoes, 2x cylinders, 2x bearings, and a brake hardware kit. that price made me decide to use the OE ubolt setup for now, i couldnt justify $70 for the flip kit + $20 for the strutmounts + the hassle of welding, just to flip my bolts over... now that everything is going to be fresh, it would be very easy to add in the future when i have more of a upgrade plan in mind - right now im just getting it put together.
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode