TTORA Forum banner

Air Conditioning - Option/Modification

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  TRoss 
#1 ·
Hey, I am just wondering...
Are there any pre-1989 Toyota 4Runners with A/C? If so, does it work well? If not, is there any way of doing an aftermarket installation? Has anyone tried that?

#3 ·
I've got a 1st gen 89 4runner and ac works great. it takes away what little power the 3.0 has and ruins gas mileage but it keeps me cold. I don't need to go fast.

#4 ·
The thing about the 4runner a/c systems is that it is the SAME system that they put in the pickup trucks, but did not increase the output to account for all that extra cargo space and what I assume is a lot of loss through the fiberglass top and all those windows.

That being said, I've got a wiring gremlin in my a/c system so we just jumped the switch straight to the battery - when its on, it seems to work well. (I had often considered a cab divider behind the front seats to help keep that cab area cooler). But having done all of the troubleshooting, I still cannot find the cause for my wiring problem. I would love to rip it out and plug in an aftermarket set up.

#7 ·
I know this is an old thread but... Nic, Toyota actually added an additional small section of condenser to the a/c system to "compensate" for the added cubic space in the 4R. Your rig should have it, mine does. My old truck "BR" did not have it and I remember reading about the additional capacity somewhere along the way.

#5 ·
you want options?

convert the a/c compressor to an on board air system

there's an option

its incredibly easy and cheap to do

-tim

#9 ·
Something that we also seem to forget is the AC back in even the 80's and early 90's was not that great, only some manufactures started to use condenser fans (hint toyota did not on the PU and 4r). If you want stupid cold air put a small 10-12 inch pusher fan on the condenser 600-800 cfm, wire it to kick on when the system is on. not only will your AC system run lower pressures, you will have 38 degree temps out the vents.

I also liked the fact the truck ran cooler with the a/c on because it had the pusher fan and factory fan working at that time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.