small cars - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association

Go Back   TTORA Forum > Regional Forums > Ohio > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2008, 05:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

small cars

if you were gonna spend under 20k on a small car what would you buy?

so far I've narrowed it down to these (in order of preference)

1. Mazda 3i touring value 4dr sedan, manual adding the moonroof/6 cd package, all weather mats, spoiler and sat radio brings it to just over 19k, thru my dad's employers Ford plan I could get it for about 17,500. It's rated at 32 on the hwy

2. Honda Civic EX Coupe, manual about the only options I would add would be the all weather mats and sat radio making it about 19,700, this gets the best mileage of my choices at 36 on the hwy

3. Scion TC Coupe, manual adding all wether mats, upgraded audio, and sat radio puts it around 18,500. , pretty similar to the civic but a thousand less. this car has more hp than the other vehicles but it comes at a price as it is only rated 29hwy

4. Toyota Corrolla S, manual this is where things get complicated, toyota only seems to want to sell their vehicles in limited configurations instead of allowing you to select individual options. there are only 3 choices for a mt= the base model, the s, or the xrs which is more than I wanna spend. and after looking at a s up close I don't care for the side moldings, they look cheesy and like their stuck on with double sided tape waiting to fall off, but since only limited options are avail on the base, and you can't get a LE or XLE with a manual I'd end up with one of these to get the features I want. next to the options= rather than individual options you choose packages, buying a package that includes all the features I want puts it at about 19,700, the corrolla is rated at 35hwy

5. Hyundai Elantra SE, manual yea I know what people are thinking but these are actually quite well built, I have a few friends who have put well over 100,000 on these without any issues. adding the power package which includes a moonroof and heated seats which aren't even avail in the above choices this comes in at around 17500 and there is currently a $1500 rebate (though I'm not sure how long for) making it the cheapest, these are rated at 32

thoughts? any other cars I should consider?
99TanTaco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2008, 06:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Front Wheel Drive Mall Crawler

from those I would say the Scion tc nice cars with lots of standard features. Also you might check out a VW Rabbit if you can find a dealer thats not a snob. Saturn Azerua? is another you might consider.

85 Toyota Pickup Mall Crawler with some goodies
06 Dodge Ram 1500 YEAH It's got a Hemi!
08 Harley Davidson Nightster
00 Taco turned into man hole covers

Greatest Rock Garden Ever! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mloA3PSVYQ
NEV2DEP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2008, 07:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Out of Money

Send a message via Yahoo to ohio03trdtaco
If you are buying new won't you get a better deal if you stick with a Toyota product after turning in the Taco?
ohio03trdtaco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2008, 07:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'll get a voucher for $1000 off a new Toyota pickup, $500 off any other new Toyota, or $500 off a Toyota Certified Used, this doesn't apply to Scion or Scion Certified Used

$500 isn't really much incentive when your looking at 20k vehicles
Old 07-24-2008, 07:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEV2DEP View Post
from those I would say the Scion tc nice cars with lots of standard features. Also you might check out a VW Rabbit if you can find a dealer thats not a snob. Saturn Azerua? is another you might consider.
just looked at the Astra (if that's what you were referring to), the 3dr looks pretty sharp

I'll check out the vw later
Old 07-24-2008, 08:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Check out the new Pontiac Vibe its basically a Toyota matrix but it costs a lot less plus they are pretty sharp looking
Old 07-24-2008, 08:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Mine Copper! Out of your choices I would go with the honda civic and you should talk to a friend of mine he runs a honda dealer
lol why would you want to? you already post to yourself
ugly's ok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2008, 08:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99TanTaco View Post
just looked at the Astra (if that's what you were referring to), the 3dr looks pretty sharp

I'll check out the vw later
thats what it was, I liked the 3dr hatch too.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugly's ok View Post
Mine Copper! Out of your choices I would go with the honda civic and you should talk to a friend of mine he runs a honda dealer
over priced $$$ and the whole idea of the front end falling /breaking away when you bump somthing

Old 07-24-2008, 08:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
over priced $$$ and the whole idea of the front end falling /breaking away when you bump somthing
Last I looked it was like 19,000
lol why would you want to? you already post to yourself
ugly's ok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2008, 09:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Member

My Rig: 1985 Pickup
chevy cobalt.

yes it is domestic.......and yes I may be a little bias since I work for a chevy dealer...........but they are dam good little cars........we very rarely have any warrenty issues with them, the ecotech 4cyl is a proven motor, and overall they are pretty cheap to buy with lots of different configurations......plus they are made just down the road from you so you would be supporting the local eonomy

as far as durability........we have some fleet cars that have been thrashed and they just keep going.......safety????........a couple years ago I seen a lady driveing one down the road at roughly 55 smoke a dude in a f-250 who blew a stop sign......I ran up to her and was able to open both front doors and her and her kid both walked away without any serious injuries.

Oh and if you like the hatchback look check out the HHR's.......same under pinnings but more room.......they are nice cause you can haul alot of crap in them.

Of the cars you listed I would go for the civic..........I have yet to see a unreliable Honda

85 ex. cab 1 tons, coilovers, ect

09 Dodge Ram 2500 w/ a Cummins.....Tow rig
Full_Tilt_Fud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2008, 05:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
Out of Money

Send a message via Yahoo to ohio03trdtaco
Quote:
I'll get a voucher for $1000 off a new Toyota pickup, $500 off any other new Toyota, or $500 off a Toyota Certified Used, this doesn't apply to Scion or Scion Certified Used

$500 isn't really much incentive when your looking at 20k vehicles
Well yeah that isn't much at all I thought it would be a little better.

I am no good with cars never really look into them.
ohio03trdtaco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2008, 11:58 AM   #13 (permalink)

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blog...s/4235586.html

50 mpg's. the vw's seem to be very reliable. my 92' rabbit is still hummin along...wish it got this kind of milage. i think the beetle is also offered with diesel option.
RCBS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2008, 12:00 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugly's ok View Post
Last I looked it was like 19,000
Ok you are correct base is $ 19,200. I swear when I was looking at cars I seen one on Classic Fords lot(Mini Cooper is next door) that had a sticker of like $32,000 it was a convertible but still $ 12000 more for a convertible? ouch.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:08 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBS View Post
http://www.popularmechanics.com/blog...s/4235586.html

50 mpg's. the vw's seem to be very reliable. my 92' rabbit is still hummin along...wish it got this kind of milage. i think the beetle is also offered with diesel option.
The rabbit I test drove fit and finish was good nice looking small car. It just seemed like it was never in the right gear (mt) on surface streets always seemed to high or to low. Maybe it was just me or the salesgirl skirt that keep creeping up her thighs.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member

how about this?

I think somebody updated Toyota's site recently as last time I tried building one I couln't get keyless entry

Toyota Yaris 3dr with option D (loaded)= 14115, it gets 36mpg

now the good part I take the money that I was going to use for a downpayment (on the more expensive cars) and buy a bike, I think I would have enough left for a new Honda Shadow 750 or a used bigger bike

yea, I know you guys would rather me spend the money on a trail rig but I think a bike is gonna come first as it is slightly more practical and will cost me less money
Old 07-25-2008, 06:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
Mr. President

Send a message via AIM to head
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02toyo_taco View Post
Check out the new Pontiac Vibe its basically a Toyota matrix but it costs a lot less plus they are pretty sharp looking
No offense, but i have rented a vibe before, and it was the second biggest pile i have ever driven. (the biggest being an 08 dodge avenger) I would also never consider a ford focus. I have rented a mazda 6 on 4 different occasions, and i love those cars. The one I had two weeks ago on our honeymoon got 28 mpg, and it probably spent more time at 6500rpm than my dirtbike.

1984 Pickup Extended Cab - Trail Rig
Locked F/R, 4.88's, 37's, Hi-steer, Twin stick, Dual cases, Flatbed

1986 4runner - e-locker, 4.56's, 31's
1986 Pickup Extended Cab - Work in progress
2004 Chevy 2500HD Duramax 4x4 - Tow Rig
2004 Tacoma Extended Cab SR5 TRD 4X4 - SOLD

Blue Ribbon Coalition #51205
PhotoBucket Page
OHTTORA
head is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2008, 06:41 PM   #18 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Tilt_Fud View Post
chevy cobalt.

yes it is domestic.......and yes I may be a little bias since I work for a chevy dealer...........but they are dam good little cars........we very rarely have any warrenty issues with them, the ecotech 4cyl is a proven motor, and overall they are pretty cheap to buy with lots of different configurations......plus they are made just down the road from you so you would be supporting the local eonomy

as far as durability........we have some fleet cars that have been thrashed and they just keep going.......safety????........a couple years ago I seen a lady driveing one down the road at roughly 55 smoke a dude in a f-250 who blew a stop sign......I ran up to her and was able to open both front doors and her and her kid both walked away without any serious injuries.

Oh and if you like the hatchback look check out the HHR's.......same under pinnings but more room.......they are nice cause you can haul alot of crap in them.

Of the cars you listed I would go for the civic..........I have yet to see a unreliable Honda
My Dad had a Civic and it was about as reliable as a 73 AMC Gremlin and I had one as my Free Rental while they were buying my Truck back, I did not like it one bit and I actually had trouble getting it to start on 3 different occasions, I almost think the car knew I hated it and was giving me problems on purpose.
Shakerhood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2008, 09:01 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
I think somebody updated Toyota's site recently as last time I tried building one I couln't get keyless entry

Toyota Yaris 3dr with option D (loaded)= 14115, it gets 36mpg

now the good part I take the money that I was going to use for a downpayment (on the more expensive cars) and buy a bike, I think I would have enough left for a new Honda Shadow 750 or a used bigger bike

yea, I know you guys would rather me spend the money on a trail rig but I think a bike is gonna come first as it is slightly more practical and will cost me less money
well I'm sure we can find you a seat for any future runs until you get another truck. And bike would be cool, I'll have someone to ride with come next spring. You can't just disapear from TTORA like Mike though......

Old 07-28-2008, 01:03 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
The rabbit I test drove fit and finish was good nice looking small car. It just seemed like it was never in the right gear (mt) on surface streets always seemed to high or to low. Maybe it was just me or the salesgirl skirt that keep creeping up her thighs.
my rabbit is not very nice. 16 years have not been very kind to it. lol i've been hauling around a chainsaw in the "boot" lately. broke a clutch cable on my thrid shift outa the exhast shop couple weeks ago...$14.00. it once was a nice car though. leather, heated seats, real glass in rear window, cruise, A/C, factory Blau. stereo, hell it even has auto driver and pass. window down. it's a wolfsburg edition errrr...something. those new diesel Jettas and Beetles are worth checking out though...same or better milage than a hybrid! i suppose as long as the parts are cheap for this little sucker, i'll hang onto it. otherwise my search is for an 80's vintage Subaru... any 80's Subaru as long as it's 4wd. i like the gearing of mine. it's a little low (3100) @ 65mph, but it don't redline until like 7200.
RCBS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2008, 09:51 PM   #21 (permalink)

Terry please disregard my other posts in this thread.
Buy this
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...wpost&t=106320

Old 08-01-2008, 02:23 PM   #22 (permalink)
Veteran Member

yea, I saw that (and a few other nice swapped rigs as well) but I don't think they meet my 30mpg reguirement

I know it's also a little under but Montrose Toyota has a used certified 06 Scion TC with a manual and 29000mi adverised for 15,200 I think I will try to deal on if it is still around whenever I turn my truck in (I can't figure out how to link to the page)

Otherwise I think I'll have Pete hook me up with one of his Honda buddies
Old 08-01-2008, 02:25 PM   #23 (permalink)
Veteran Member

test http://www.montroseautogroup.com/ou/..._specials_used

EDIT: didn't work, but you can search it from that link

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.