My slo 02 dc lt build - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

My slo 02 dc lt build

Well To start off I have always been into fast cars. But to be honest between all the days going to the track or late night illegal street races (Yes I know) I had more fun riding along with friends off road. So I decided to sell my 712hp 2003 SVT Cobra and started searching for a Tacoma. Here is my Cobra the Day I sold it.

http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/a...a/IMG_0155.jpg
I knew I wanted a double cab for the room, but of course when I had cash I coundn't find one. So during my search for the right taco I bought a set of wheels and Nitto tires, along with a set of Rancho qiuck lift struts. I finally found the right truck, bought it, and threw on the lift and tires.

Although long travel trucks are few and far betwen here in New Mexico, there are pleanty of places to roam here. So against all of my crawling buddies wishes the build began. BTW your comments and suggestions are encouraged!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

The first order of business was the front bumper. I ditched the stock bumper and with a cheap Harbor Freight bender I built this.

The bumper really got my creative juices flowing so I decided to build a tire gate. But after building it I realized that It wasn't fuctional and what was the poing of something if it wasnt functional? The idea was to build it where I could still get my quad in the back that is why the tire tilts back. Bad idea!

I realized it was stupid so I sold it on craigslist and moved on.
I started gathering parts that I could afford slowly and upgraded the front to Icon Coilovers and Uniball upper control arms. I was super happy with the ride quality but soon I knew it wasn's enough. i located some glass from a member on Dezert Rangers along with some 2.0 fox shox for the rear.

Sent the glass to get painted a couple months later

The paint doesnt match 100% but it is better than rolling around with white fenders.
About a month ago I ordered a LT kit from Camburg. Jeff and Scott were very helpfull and let me know the kit was on back order. Man That was the longest wait of my life! the kit showed up Thursday and I had my truck stripped and ready to go.

I was bored waiting for the UPS guy to show and got a little carried away with the rattle can haha.
[IMG]http://i982.photobucket.com/albums/ae305/dbigscotty/Tacoma%20Build/20120126_135126.jpg[/IMG
Finally after 6 hours of waiting the kit showed and my friend and I started hanging the arms

Four hours later we had the truck on the ground and ready to roll. I still need to mount the bumps but it already rides sooooooo much better! I installed a spacer in the rear for now until I can find a tundra rear axle.

I'm removing the TRD sticker by the way haha. I got them as a gift and the person was so happy to give them to me I thought I would at least try them out.

So now I am gathering parts for the rear. Here are my future plans:

1. TC 12" shackels with mounts
2. 3.0 x 16 FOX bypasses
3. Bed cage (Small and out of the way so I can still use the bed)
4. Deaver f67's or all-pro 50t (can't decide)
5. Box rear frame
6. Double tire carrier
7. lighting (going with led's. thinking 30" let on the roof and 20" on the bumper
8. Custom heim steering
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member

I vote for 50ts

Nice build.

04 taco- 4wd Camburg LT and 50ts
01 taco- 2wd 5 lug. just fiberglass
99 runner- OME's with tundra & cruiser coils
***custom fiberglass and LT build:
http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122192
post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 09:51 PM

Hey man if you ever come up to Farmington or Aztec let me know. I'm in Durango, CO and I'd love to head down to New Mexico and have some fun.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member

hell yeah. another dbl cab. looks good dude. definitely get the 50t pack

04 4x4 Tacoma DBL Cab-Camburg LT
My Build Thread
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Kid View Post
Hey man if you ever come up to Farmington or Aztec let me know. I'm in Durango, CO and I'd love to head down to New Mexico and have some fun.
Haha I go up to Durango like 10 times a year! That is the reason I kept 4x4 when I went long travel. I have never wheeled up there. I will let you know next time I head up that way and see if we can meet up.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 06:26 AM
Sac

Sweet looking truck
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 07:21 PM

Nice truck, what wheels are those?
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

They are Eagle Alloy series 100. They no longer come with polished holes only all black. I am selling all 5 wheels by the way and I dont mind shipping, Just FYI haha
[QUOTE=
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 10:29 PM

Please make a tutorial with pics on how to mount rear shocks, and cycle the leaf pack for shock placement. Truck looks great by the way.

99 Tacoma Prerunner:
Sway Away 2.5 8"
Total Chaos Long travel kit
Add a Leaf with 2.25 Dirt Logics
Audio System
Tube Front Bumper
Deckpate
Eagle Alloys on Wrangler Td 265/75/16
Hella 500ff
Flowmaster 40
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 03:11 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony250 View Post
Please make a tutorial with pics on how to mount rear shocks, and cycle the leaf pack for shock placement. Truck looks great by the way.
Kind of like this? lol
http://www.trailslesstraveled.com/viewarticle.php?id=37

and for reference
http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/truck-talk/85240.htm
http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/fab-shop/64624-4.htm

here is how i did mine
http://ttora.com/forum/showpost.php?...5&postcount=30

My Build Thread
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 09:53 PM

Nice build man! Looks good.
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Well the rear is going to have to wait a bit because I got caught up in some legal BS that is draining my funds. Seems like every time I get enough money to order my parts life finds a way to sick its fist up my ass lol. I am actually going to build my bed cage, and install some deaver stock replacements with custom 12" shackles over the frame and fox 14 smooth bodies for now. The allpro 50t and bypasses will have to wait. O I did score a tundra rear end last week in Phoenix.

Jon,
I was going to suggest you're build because you recorded every step. Btw, I am kind of stealing your og spare tire mount. Haha
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDCDUDE View Post
Well the rear is going to have to wait a bit because I got caught up in some legal BS that is draining my funds. Seems like every time I get enough money to order my parts life finds a way to sick its fist up my ass lol. I am actually going to build my bed cage, and install some deaver stock replacements with custom 12" shackles over the frame and fox 14 smooth bodies for now. The allpro 50t and bypasses will have to wait. O I did score a tundra rear end last week in Phoenix.

Jon,
I was going to suggest you're build because you recorded every step. Btw, I am kind of stealing your og spare tire mount. Haha
I am in the process of doing an extensive write up on leaf spring suspension setups. It is a few .doc pages long, and I have multiple pictures showing the math and all the important factors that go with it. I will be done hopefully soon, but school is always pushing it aside right now.

anyway, what you just said about your rear leaf setup has some problems with the math behind way leaf springs work.

I dont want to really get in to it now, but the true length of the main leaf must be the same as the shackle's length plus the distance between the frame mounting points. installinga bolt-in deaver spring with a 12 inch shackle, it would be possible to comply with this; however, it would drastictly put your vehicles handling at a disadvantage.

I didnt go through all the links from jonsangel, but I know the dezertranger.com one from me is old knowledge and ALL incorrect. (but jonsangel does know his stuff)

since that setup, I have gained 5 more inches of usable up travel, and everything is working better.

there is so much about leaf springs that we (forum folk) have been missing.

hopefully you can wait until May (school is out) and I can finish my write up. it's gonna be good, trust me. as of now i have about ten sources that I will be citing. I am an English major, so this will be legit

-sean

post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Jon,
I was just getting ready to chop mine off haha. I like the swing part of it but it sucks mounting the tires on the lugs. I moved to 35's now too so swinging it is going to be much harder. I'm going to keep the position the same but they will rest on a tube and secure with a ratchet strap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_nett View Post
I am in the process of doing an extensive write up on leaf spring suspension setups. It is a few .doc pages long, and I have multiple pictures showing the math and all the important factors that go with it. I will be done hopefully soon, but school is always pushing it aside right now.
-sean
I'm curious to see what it says. When i redid my rear its not riding nearly as good as it used to. I think the only thing i changed geometry wise was its bumping and drooping about 4-5" higher than it used to and im letting the springs go into negative arch. My unsprung weight has gone up a lot with my new axle but i dont think thats it.

My Build Thread
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Sean, I will first start with thank you. Haha, I didn't even think about the handling aspect of the suspension. I was only thinking in travel numbers. You got me thinking about just waiting a couple months and do it right the first time. I am really looking forward to your write up in May. So, for now, I'll just keep gathering parts and hopefully get a daily driver so I can really get going on my truck. O and please disregard any spelling, grammar or punctuation mistakes.
post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 12:09 AM

Cool looking towards the writeup too, i also have the deaver stock pack and would like to run 10" shocks for at least 7inches of uptravel.

99 Tacoma Prerunner:
Sway Away 2.5 8"
Audio System
Tube Front Bumper
Deckpate
Hella 500ff
Flowmaster 40
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

I have an appointment with a math tutor after class today for help with shackle location and its effects. Already I think I have realized that shackles are altogether bad(complicated) for handling as the make the whole system vary too much (the longer the shackle the worse).

Jonsangel, for sure negative arch is bad. Negative arch means that the shackle would then be heading the opposite direction and thus changing the dynamics of the travel. the result would make all the efforts of shocks/bypasses worthless in a best case scenario. harmful and/or counterproductive in a worse case scenario.

This is all central to what I am putting together. I like the continued discussion tho, it is keeping me thinking

And unsprung weight has not been in my thoughts for a while, so thanks for that. I think you are right though about it not being too crucial in the whole scheme of things.

btw, the Moss brother's class 3 Bronco won in San Felipe last weekend. They have leaf springs and that truck is the most winning off road racing vehicle of any class, ever. Just sayin'

post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 09:40 AM

I would love to see what you have so far, even if it is far from done. Like I mentioned to you before i have done a fair amount of A-arm suspension design and would like to see what you have on leaf spring design since the only real variable is the shackle and its position. Maybe i can do the drawings for you since i have solidworks sitting around and i'm REALLY bored out here in the sand box. And there is the possibility of an English major working with a mechanical engineer could actually make something useful to every one .

01, supercharged LT'd, 212k
Thread: http://goo.gl/Mdj8T
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixre7 View Post
I would love to see what you have so far, even if it is far from done. Like I mentioned to you before i have done a fair amount of A-arm suspension design and would like to see what you have on leaf spring design since the only real variable is the shackle and its position. Maybe i can do the drawings for you since i have solidworks sitting around and i'm REALLY bored out here in the sand box. And there is the possibility of an English major working with a mechanical engineer could actually make something useful to every one .
PM sent

post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_nett View Post
Jonsangel, for sure negative arch is bad. Negative arch means that the shackle would then be heading the opposite direction and thus changing the dynamics of the travel. the result would make all the efforts of shocks/bypasses worthless in a best case scenario. harmful and/or counterproductive in a worse case scenario
Have you ever seen where most leaf sping race trucks bump? negative arch is pretty common. deaver and allpro rate there springs to go into some % of negative arch as well

LTDCDUDE: out of curiousity, can you give me a measurement from the ground to either your LCA bolt or bottom of the frame in the front? I want to compare ride hieghts with another 4wd truck. I feel like mine sits way too low and likes to plow. thanks

My Build Thread
post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsangel View Post
LTDCDUDE: out of curiousity, can you give me a measurement from the ground to either your LCA bolt or bottom of the frame in the front? I want to compare ride hieghts with another 4wd truck. I feel like mine sits way too low and likes to plow. thanks
Mine is 15'' to the LCA bolt.
post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I'm about 15" also

and thats at 1.25" preload (but I think you changed your set up though)
post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 06:22 PM

That's the same as mine, mine hits 15'' right in the center of the bolt. I have 2'' of preload though on my coils.
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

And my DOM finally showed up today. I dont know how much you guys can get it for but here in Albuquerque the cheapest I could find for 1.75" .120 DOM was 7.89 a foot!!!! So I ordered it from a place i found online for only 3.17 a foot shipped to my door. Now time to start the bed cage and tire carrier.

And I also ordered this piece of 2.5"x3.5" .120 wall rectangular tube to extend my frame so I can carry 2 spares (vertical) and have enough room in my bed for coolers and stuff when we go camping.

Any clever ideas how I can lock my spares besides a chain and lock? I After Jonsangel told me his design I was going to steal was a PITA I decided to get a couple tie straps.
post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member

thanks for the measurements guys. ill check mine when i get home. the preload on mine is all wierd because i have a tender coil and my shock is more angled in than stock

most of the ones ive seen that are locked use a chain or like the coated motorcycle wire rope. a few ive seen have a bent tube that goes over the top on a hinge and just use a pad lock. im not sure if that makes since

My Build Thread
post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 06:46 PM

You could use a spare mounting plate like this with locking lug nuts http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/...g/STMP-LG.html
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Kid View Post
That's the same as mine, mine hits 15'' right in the center of the bolt. I have 2'' of preload though on my coils.
May be because my springs are only a couple months old. I went out today and beat it a little bit and I swear im sitting .25" lower now
post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 12:11 AM

Very intrested how you design your cage. And what setup to run.

99 Tacoma Prerunner:
Sway Away 2.5 8"
Audio System
Tube Front Bumper
Deckpate
Hella 500ff
Flowmaster 40
post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
May be because my springs are only a couple months old. I went out today and beat it a little bit and I swear im sitting .25" lower now
Yea my springs are a couple years old and the shocks are valved pretty soft so I could dial my bypasses in. Also SAW shocks, not Fox

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode