Looking to get into a bit of wheeling. - TTORA Forum
Toyota Territory Off-Roaders AssociationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Asso
ciationToyota Territory Off-Roaders Association
     


Go Back   TTORA Forum > Regional Forums > Indiana > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 10-01-2011, 05:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Roll Tide's Avatar
 
My Rig: 2001 Toyota Tacoma
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Connersville Indiana
Posts: 160
Looking to get into a bit of wheeling.

Hey all,

I'm starting to get the itch. I would like to do some wheeling, however unfortunately none of my friends are into it. Not sure where the good places to go are, or what I will need for sure. Right now my trucks drivetrain and suspension are completely stock. I know, I know...that isn't good, but at this point in time its my daily driver, and I'm not looking to wheel the hardest trail. I live in Connersville, Indiana and there is a place called Haspin Acres just down the road, but I've heard a lot of horror stories of accidents with drunks. Any help on getting started or events that would be beneficial would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Q
Roll Tide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-01-2011, 06:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Moderator
 
natetru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: elwood
Posts: 1,861
u can do just fine with stock suspension u can have plenty of fun just get out there and have some fun. go to badlands or over to redbird!
__________________
84 truck....woohoo for me...currently driven project
85 4runner, sold
86 truck, sold
87 truck, sold
88 4runner, sold
2003 Rubicon- current d.d. and toy
natetru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2011, 09:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Moderator
 
My Rig: 2005 TACOMA DCSB
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CedarTucky
Posts: 4,074
Welcome! You have come to the right place. My recommendation would be meet us up at one of our events and tag along as a passenger. Then decide if this is really what you want to do with your truck. From there the possibilities are endless! We have several amatuer fabricators in the club dispersed throughout the state so I am sure we can help you out with tsome armor for your truck as well.
__________________
Blue Ribbon Coalition #4847

'05 Tacoma DCSB on Tons
NwiTACO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2011, 05:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Roll Tide's Avatar
 
My Rig: 2001 Toyota Tacoma
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Connersville Indiana
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwiTACO View Post
Welcome! You have come to the right place. My recommendation would be meet us up at one of our events and tag along as a passenger. Then decide if this is really what you want to do with your truck. From there the possibilities are endless! We have several amatuer fabricators in the club dispersed throughout the state so I am sure we can help you out with tsome armor for your truck as well.
That would be ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!! When is the next event? Do you have quite a few events in the winter?
Roll Tide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2011, 01:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Bear's Avatar
 
My Rig: 1997 Toyota Tacoma
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: state of confusion
Posts: 11,176
Welcome Q,

as the others have said, you are welcome to tag along or bring your stock truck to any run. WE as a club make it a point to make sure everyone feels at home on the trails and ensure everyone has fun doing it. I personally will watch out for new wheel'rs on the trail, as it is my personal goal to encourage and pass along proper off roading practices so that we all enjoy off roading from generation to generation etc.

My first and probably most important tip is this: when you are on the trail, DO NOT LET ANYONE TALK YOU INTO DOING SOMETHING YOU DO NOT FEEL COMPLETELY COMFORTABLE DOING. Basically it is the Peer pressure syndrome I am referring to. But that goes for spotters to your best buddy riding with you in the truck.

As Mark refereneced we do have a good hand full of fabricators on board, I actually fall into that catagory also. So if there is something I can help with, let me know. As I am sure you have figured out armor is probably the first modifaction/addition you will want to make to your vehicle, I am one of the most experienced members among many very knowledgible and seasoned members we have, so feel free to bounce your ideas off me anytime you like.

So you live near Haspin huh? I bet you are getting tired of hearing all the headlines you have going on right now aren't you? So let's change that subject before it starts. Jeep Crasher and I have been to haspin quite a few times, I would feel comfortable saying that it is not our favorite park but we have been known to wheel there, we actually treat it as somewhat of our testing grounds.

Right now my truck is not moving out of my driveway, but I will be up to going wheeling with you anytime after I rememdy the current condition of the truck. in the meantime there is an event at Red bird on the 22nd of this month. redbirdrunner has posted up information on it in the events folder october haunted trails. We are trying to get a good turn out from the chapter to go to it and you are more than welcome to join us. and by all means bring your truck to wheel. If nothing else I or another members can ride with you and give you first hand, in cab instruction if you have room for a passenger, or you can bring along a friend ( always makes meeting a new group easier) and we can still coach you along the way. We have vehicles able to hit the easiest to most wild trails so you won't be alone, and as Nate said you will be surprised at what these little Toyota trucks can do in stock form.

again welcome and feel free to hit me up with a pm on any ttora related topic or truck/ wheeling question you may have.
__________________
BEAR
OVERKILL IS AN UNDERRATED ACHIEVEMENT

Originally Posted by abbott
remember, in the world of cars and trucks, its not cubic inches, its cubic dollars.
GO SPURS GO!!!!
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2011, 08:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Moderator
 
My Rig: 2005 TACOMA DCSB
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CedarTucky
Posts: 4,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
My first and probably most important tip is this: when you are on the trail, DO NOT LET ANYONE TALK YOU INTO DOING SOMETHING YOU DO NOT FEEL COMPLETELY COMFORTABLE DOING. Basically it is the Peer pressure syndrome I am referring to. But that goes for spotters to your best buddy riding with you in the truck.
Definitely the best advice you can get. Friends in the passenger seat only help you break things, rarely fix them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
Right now my truck is not moving out of my driveway, but I will be up to going wheeling with you anytime after I rememdy the current condition of the truck.
I thought you said you had the truck fixed?
__________________
Blue Ribbon Coalition #4847

'05 Tacoma DCSB on Tons
NwiTACO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Moderator
 
natetru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: elwood
Posts: 1,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
.

Right now my truck is not moving out of my driveway, but I will be up to going wheeling with you anytime after I rememdy the current condition of the truck by parting it out and starting with something that will move from the driveway,down the road and to the trail and back under its own power...
lol
__________________
84 truck....woohoo for me...currently driven project
85 4runner, sold
86 truck, sold
87 truck, sold
88 4runner, sold
2003 Rubicon- current d.d. and toy
natetru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2011, 03:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Roll Tide's Avatar
 
My Rig: 2001 Toyota Tacoma
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Connersville Indiana
Posts: 160
Thanks a bunch! Yes, armor is currently on the "need" list. I originally had no plans of wheeling this truck, as it is my first Tacoma. I'd wanted a Toyota pickup since the very first time I saw "Back To The Future". HAHAHA. Finally got this one, and thought I'd make it into a mall crawler. After paying it off, I'm more interested in basically obtaining an aggressive stance, and making this truck more off road capable. It is my daily driver, so I'm not looking to bob the bed, and cage it. I know I want sliders, I've never liked the nerf bars, and I love how sliders are mounted nice and snug to the body. I'd like to do a bed bar, and possibly mount a spare into the bed, or possibly tailgate. I guess I'm looking to make this truck a hybrid of and expedition and a crawler. Does that make sense? Anyway, I know these trucks are tough, and in the land of "lift it to the sky", and "it ain't a diesel?", I want mine to be completely different from what is normal around my area.

Speaking of my area, Bear, I'm not really sick of hearing about the news in Laurel. Honestly, and this is going to sound bad at first, I'm glad it happened. In my opinion, a group of people who were deeply seeded into a horrible drug culture, were killed. Not only were they killed, but the individual who did it, also was deep into drugs. The 3 year old girl who was found walking down the road is the daughter of one of the victims. She now has and opportunity to have a decent life. That is my judgmental stance, and I truly don't think it will change. Fortunately I'm not originally from here, (hence the 'Roll Tide' name) and I can look at the town for what it is.

On to the original topic. Are these events 2 day events? I will have to check my schedule at work, ( I usually get every-other weekend off) and see if I'm off that weekend. Where is this Redbird?
Roll Tide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2011, 03:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Moderator
 
natetru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: elwood
Posts: 1,861
just google redbird sra...and i love your attitude towards the piece of shit junkies dieing....a little poetic justice...let em kill each other and get some of this crack/crank out of america!
__________________
84 truck....woohoo for me...currently driven project
85 4runner, sold
86 truck, sold
87 truck, sold
88 4runner, sold
2003 Rubicon- current d.d. and toy
natetru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2011, 03:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Moderator
 
My Rig: 2005 TACOMA DCSB
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CedarTucky
Posts: 4,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll Tide View Post
Thanks a bunch! Yes, armor is currently on the "need" list. I originally had no plans of wheeling this truck, as it is my first Tacoma. I'd wanted a Toyota pickup since the very first time I saw "Back To The Future". HAHAHA. Finally got this one, and thought I'd make it into a mall crawler. After paying it off, I'm more interested in basically obtaining an aggressive stance, and making this truck more off road capable. It is my daily driver, so I'm not looking to bob the bed, and cage it. I know I want sliders, I've never liked the nerf bars, and I love how sliders are mounted nice and snug to the body. I'd like to do a bed bar, and possibly mount a spare into the bed, or possibly tailgate. I guess I'm looking to make this truck a hybrid of and expedition and a crawler. Does that make sense? Anyway, I know these trucks are tough, and in the land of "lift it to the sky", and "it ain't a diesel?", I want mine to be completely different from what is normal around my area.

Speaking of my area, Bear, I'm not really sick of hearing about the news in Laurel. Honestly, and this is going to sound bad at first, I'm glad it happened. In my opinion, a group of people who were deeply seeded into a horrible drug culture, were killed. Not only were they killed, but the individual who did it, also was deep into drugs. The 3 year old girl who was found walking down the road is the daughter of one of the victims. She now has and opportunity to have a decent life. That is my judgmental stance, and I truly don't think it will change. Fortunately I'm not originally from here, (hence the 'Roll Tide' name) and I can look at the town for what it is.

On to the original topic. Are these events 2 day events? I will have to check my schedule at work, ( I usually get every-other weekend off) and see if I'm off that weekend. Where is this Redbird?
I believe it is a one day event. Redbird is in a little town called Dugger Indiana.

www.redbirdsra.com
__________________
Blue Ribbon Coalition #4847

'05 Tacoma DCSB on Tons
NwiTACO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Roll Tide's Avatar
 
My Rig: 2001 Toyota Tacoma
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Connersville Indiana
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by natetru View Post
just google redbird sra...and i love your attitude towards the piece of shit junkies dieing....a little poetic justice...let em kill each other and get some of this crack/crank out of america!
I'm sure at some point in time, they were good people. The way people change when addicted to something, is usually not good. Most of the mindsets in this town are classic victim mentalities, and "what can the government do for me" types. As kids grow up watching their parents live like that, most don't ever try to be more, especially as they get on drugs. Theft is up, murder is up, and other heinous crimes are up in this county. All of which I feel is fueled by the addiction. Poetic justice is the perfect phrase.
Roll Tide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Bear's Avatar
 
My Rig: 1997 Toyota Tacoma
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: state of confusion
Posts: 11,176
the redbird haunted trails is slated for October 22, and 23rd. with the park being open for night wheeling until 11pm on the 22nd.
__________________
BEAR
OVERKILL IS AN UNDERRATED ACHIEVEMENT

Originally Posted by abbott
remember, in the world of cars and trucks, its not cubic inches, its cubic dollars.
GO SPURS GO!!!!
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2011, 07:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Bear's Avatar
 
My Rig: 1997 Toyota Tacoma
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: state of confusion
Posts: 11,176
Redbird is located near Dugger. here are the driving instructions off their website:

http://www.redbirdsra.com/index.php?...d=17&Itemid=35
I commented on the schedule in my other post to you. I hope you can make it out for this event.

BTW, generally most people get into offroading by "Oh, I don't want to tear my truck up. or I mainly want to do some expedition type off roading" but the hobby, sport, whatever you want to call it. draws you in and before you know it, you have spent thousands of dollars on your truck and it barely looks roadworthy due to all the trail rash on the sheet metal. Its all good though, no matter what type of wheeler you want to be or turn out to be, you are welcome here.

Hope to see you on the trails & be able to talk trucks with you around a camp fire.
__________________
BEAR
OVERKILL IS AN UNDERRATED ACHIEVEMENT

Originally Posted by abbott
remember, in the world of cars and trucks, its not cubic inches, its cubic dollars.
GO SPURS GO!!!!
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2011, 07:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Roll Tide's Avatar
 
My Rig: 2001 Toyota Tacoma
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Connersville Indiana
Posts: 160
Is Redbird regarded as the best, nicest, most wheeler friendly place to go in Indiana? Are there any members with a private chunk of land? Redbird is about 3.5 hrs from my house, so that's quite a hike. Where are most members from? I know, bunches of questions...oh an unfortunately I know very little about actually working on my own truck...this is somewhat a dual purpose thing for me. Personal growth and knowledge, and ... FUN!

Last edited by Roll Tide; 10-04-2011 at 07:38 PM. Reason: added more...
Roll Tide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2011, 07:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Bear's Avatar
 
My Rig: 1997 Toyota Tacoma
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: state of confusion
Posts: 11,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by natetru View Post
lol
Yea everybody is funny these days. too bad your editing couldn't be further from the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NwiTACO View Post
...
I thought you said you had the truck fixed?
I appreciate you being able to keep what I ask you to keep between us... between us
__________________
BEAR
OVERKILL IS AN UNDERRATED ACHIEVEMENT

Originally Posted by abbott
remember, in the world of cars and trucks, its not cubic inches, its cubic dollars.
GO SPURS GO!!!!
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2011, 07:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
Moderator
 
natetru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: elwood
Posts: 1,861
i live north of anderson...about 3 hour drive to redbird and 2.5 to badlands... worth the trip tho....
bear...congrats if your truck is running again.
__________________
84 truck....woohoo for me...currently driven project
85 4runner, sold
86 truck, sold
87 truck, sold
88 4runner, sold
2003 Rubicon- current d.d. and toy
natetru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2011, 08:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Roll Tide's Avatar
 
My Rig: 2001 Toyota Tacoma
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Connersville Indiana
Posts: 160
I've been to Attica. With a quad though, mainly stayed in the sand and the massive bowls...didn't get to the trails...
Roll Tide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2011, 07:22 AM   #18 (permalink)
Moderator
 
My Rig: 2005 TACOMA DCSB
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CedarTucky
Posts: 4,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
I appreciate you being able to keep what I ask you to keep between us... between us
Dont remember that being said. Sorry
__________________
Blue Ribbon Coalition #4847

'05 Tacoma DCSB on Tons
NwiTACO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2011, 03:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jeep crasher's Avatar
 
My Rig: FJC and tube buggy
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: In the barn
Posts: 122
Welcome

I'll have to call you something else cause I can't bring myself to says the phrase "roll tide". I liked Bear Bryants Bama, not Sabans.

Before physically doing anything to the truck, take a step back and make sure you have a sense of humor. A good teasing goes a long way around here and trust me everyone gets teasEd around here. And sometimes you have to laugh to keep from crying.

Anyway, I'm about 30 min the other side of Rushville from you. I know it's a drive but if you get the chance you should make it to redbird. And with any luck maybe we can have a club run at haspin before the end of the year. We can do the easy stuff together cause my stock cruiser only gets the easy trails.

Let know I'd you have any questions about fab. I've got a few tools and some knowledge.

Glad your here

Later

Crashed
__________________
"Yes we play both kinds of music....Country AND Western"

"Your weemon, how much for your weemon"
jeep crasher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Roll Tide's Avatar
 
My Rig: 2001 Toyota Tacoma
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Connersville Indiana
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep crasher View Post
Welcome

I'll have to call you something else cause I can't bring myself to says the phrase "roll tide". I liked Bear Bryants Bama, not Sabans.

Before physically doing anything to the truck, take a step back and make sure you have a sense of humor. A good teasing goes a long way around here and trust me everyone gets teasEd around here. And sometimes you have to laugh to keep from crying.

Anyway, I'm about 30 min the other side of Rushville from you. I know it's a drive but if you get the chance you should make it to redbird. And with any luck maybe we can have a club run at haspin before the end of the year. We can do the easy stuff together cause my stock cruiser only gets the easy trails.

Let know I'd you have any questions about fab. I've got a few tools and some knowledge.

Glad your here

Later

Crashed
You in Shelbyville?
Roll Tide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2011, 04:57 PM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jeep crasher's Avatar
 
My Rig: FJC and tube buggy
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: In the barn
Posts: 122
Barely north of greenfield. In the country
__________________
"Yes we play both kinds of music....Country AND Western"

"Your weemon, how much for your weemon"
jeep crasher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2011, 07:04 PM   #22 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
ron86toy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gladwin,Mi
Posts: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwiTACO View Post
Definitely the best advice you can get. Friends in the passenger seat only help you break things, rarely fix them
LOL....wait for it

























Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
My first and probably most important tip is this: when you are on the trail, DO NOT LET ANYONE TALK YOU INTO DOING SOMETHING YOU DO NOT FEEL COMPLETELY COMFORTABLE DOING. Basically it is the Peer pressure syndrome I am referring to. But that goes for spotters to your best buddy riding with you in the truck.
dont ever listen to this guy!!!....see below
























sorry Bear...had to
__________________
86 4 runner sas
toy-d60 hybrid with hi-pinion front
5.29's locked f/r
duals w/triple stick
hydro assist
LC Engineering 22re
37" comp Treps on forged Alcoa's w/ OMF BL
CBI bumpers/sliders
Tmax
218 dents
1386 scratches
Page 108 in CRAWL Nov/Dec '07

'83 stepside on 33's
ron86toy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2011, 08:07 PM   #23 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Bear's Avatar
 
My Rig: 1997 Toyota Tacoma
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: state of confusion
Posts: 11,176
I wasn't the one that kept backing into the same tree. LOL at the time the front end being about 4 ft. off the ground seemed more important.
__________________
BEAR
OVERKILL IS AN UNDERRATED ACHIEVEMENT

Originally Posted by abbott
remember, in the world of cars and trucks, its not cubic inches, its cubic dollars.
GO SPURS GO!!!!
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2011, 08:30 PM   #24 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Bear's Avatar
 
My Rig: 1997 Toyota Tacoma
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: state of confusion
Posts: 11,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll Tide View Post
Is Redbird regarded as the best, nicest, most wheeler friendly place to go in Indiana? Are there any members with a private chunk of land? Redbird is about 3.5 hrs from my house, so that's quite a hike. Where are most members from? I know, bunches of questions...oh an unfortunately I know very little about actually working on my own truck...this is somewhat a dual purpose thing for me. Personal growth and knowledge, and ... FUN!
I'll try to answer most of your questions as efficiently as I can. 1. Redbird surprised me the first time I went there, I was always told it was a "mud pit" but the truth of the matter is it has some nice trails. Since different people like different types of offroading, the nicest place to off road is subjective since different places offer different terrian.

Being from the south Or Southwest originally, I prefer rock crawling which there is not a lot of that up here in the midwest. Attica/Badlands offers the most of that type, but then again the facilities are geared more toward the quad crowd which I don't appreciate. Redbird to me has the nicest trail system. and Haspin as you referenced has a lot of drunks and mud.

2. our club members are spread out across the state. we have a solid core in the indy area, we have members in Lafayette as well as evensville. and a few others spread from corner to corner.

3. When I first got involved with TTORA I could do routine maintenence on my vehicles but through the club and a lot of research on the various TTORA boards, I feel compentent with most matters in regards to my truck. and I am not shy about cutting on it or building additional metal parts for it either Stick around, pay attention and ask a lot of questions and you will be fine working on your vehicle. There are a lot of members that are very willing to help and instruct. You can count me as one of them. Oh and Jeep Crasher, I haven't seen anything he can't fabricate yet. Everyone has their own speciality I guess you can say, you just need to ask around for the help as you did originally with this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NwiTACO View Post
Dont remember that being said. Sorry
Yea, I specifically told you I was keeping it under wraps until the redbird event.

but no big deal.
__________________
BEAR
OVERKILL IS AN UNDERRATED ACHIEVEMENT

Originally Posted by abbott
remember, in the world of cars and trucks, its not cubic inches, its cubic dollars.
GO SPURS GO!!!!
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2011, 11:43 PM   #25 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
tacoma_2002's Avatar
 
My Rig: 2002 Tacoma
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cotton Plant, MS/Lake Villiage, AR
Posts: 1,755
Send a message via Yahoo to tacoma_2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll Tide View Post
After paying it off, I'm more interested in basically obtaining an aggressive stance, and making this truck more off road capable. It is my daily driver, so I'm not looking to bob the bed, and cage it.
I've wheeled mine with the best of them. A good set of coilovers, rear locker, armor (front and rear and UNDERNEATH) and some good tires and you'll be amazed how capable these trucks really are. I've hung with the best of them and I'll be driving mine to Indy AGAIN to wheel with you guys this winter. Alot of this is atributed to driver skill level, but theres no reason you can't build a very capable offroad vehicle and not maintain reliablity and good road manners.

Just ask Bear....my undercarrage and stock skid plates told the story pretty well .

Oh well
__________________
2002 Xtra Cab TRD Taco 3.4 Manual
Super White 2
Lifted, Locked, Armored

2007 Double Cab TRD Taco 4.0 Auto
Silver Streak Metallic
2.5 SAW's, 2.0 Icons rear with Deaver pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyDang View Post
Look at my picture I posted you can see that you may need 2-3 more inches.
tacoma_2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011, 07:50 AM   #26 (permalink)
Moderator
 
My Rig: 2005 TACOMA DCSB
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CedarTucky
Posts: 4,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
Yea, I specifically told you I was keeping it under wraps until the redbird event.

but no big deal.
I'm just so excited

Wish I could make the haunted trails but I will be in TN for a wedding. I have never actually seen your truck wheel [except Harlan] and really wanted to. It sure took off up trail 45 to the campsite like a rocket.
__________________
Blue Ribbon Coalition #4847

'05 Tacoma DCSB on Tons

Last edited by NwiTACO; 10-07-2011 at 05:06 PM.
NwiTACO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011, 10:07 AM   #27 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jeep crasher's Avatar
 
My Rig: FJC and tube buggy
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: In the barn
Posts: 122
Hopefully we'll start getting more runs organized around the state and our entire flock of members can get together and go back to wheeling as a club. With any luck we can get our membership back up to what it was before and do some longer runs further away.

We need more "Tides" to join up.

Also off topic but, do we need a WAT after redbird to get everybodies "cars" fixed up before winter? I'll volunteer my place, plus we can meet any newbs that don't make redbird. Just an idea.

Since I can't bring myself to utter your name, he he, I shall call you "Flounder". Flounder I have just ordered you to go to redbird with us. If you want drive to my house in the morning and we can convoy over there.

Later

Crasher
__________________
"Yes we play both kinds of music....Country AND Western"

"Your weemon, how much for your weemon"
jeep crasher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2011, 05:44 PM   #28 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Bear's Avatar
 
My Rig: 1997 Toyota Tacoma
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: state of confusion
Posts: 11,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep crasher View Post
Hopefully we'll start getting more runs organized around the state and our entire flock of members can get together and go back to wheeling as a club. With any luck we can get our membership back up to what it was before and do some longer runs further away.

We need more "Tides" to join up.

Also off topic but, do we need a WAT after redbird to get everybodies "cars" fixed up before winter? I'll volunteer my place, plus we can meet any newbs that don't make redbird. Just an idea.

Since I can't bring myself to utter your name, he he, I shall call you "Flounder". Flounder I have just ordered you to go to redbird with us. If you want drive to my house in the morning and we can convoy over there.

Later

Crasher
Hahahahaha what a great reference that is fitting for our "freshman"! One of my most favorite movies!

The idea is a prett good one! Both about the w.a.t & caravanning to r.b

Watch the r.b thread for more caravaning details. I plan to take a scenic route especially since there is a lolt of construction on I70 right now
__________________
BEAR
OVERKILL IS AN UNDERRATED ACHIEVEMENT

Originally Posted by abbott
remember, in the world of cars and trucks, its not cubic inches, its cubic dollars.
GO SPURS GO!!!!
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2011, 05:10 PM   #29 (permalink)
Moderator
 
My Rig: 2005 TACOMA DCSB
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CedarTucky
Posts: 4,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
The idea is a prett good one! Both about the w.a.t & caravanning to r.b
Yes definitely in the plans for the club. Watch for upcoming club news!
__________________
Blue Ribbon Coalition #4847

'05 Tacoma DCSB on Tons
NwiTACO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2011, 11:14 PM   #30 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
EVILTacoSupreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Metairie, LA/E-ville, IN
Posts: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll Tide View Post
Hey all,

I'm starting to get the itch. I would like to do some wheeling, however unfortunately none of my friends are into it. Not sure where the good places to go are, or what I will need for sure. Right now my trucks drivetrain and suspension are completely stock. I know, I know...that isn't good, but at this point in time its my daily driver, and I'm not looking to wheel the hardest trail. I live in Connersville, Indiana and there is a place called Haspin Acres just down the road, but I've heard a lot of horror stories of accidents with drunks. Any help on getting started or events that would be beneficial would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Q
Welcome hey i was in ur spot last year with a completely stock truck, and u can ask mark(niwtaco) i went just about everywhere he did. But most importantly it all about ur comfort zone, we're all heading to Redbird(in Dugger, IN) on the 22nd, feel free to tag along
__________________
Andy=20yo
99 Taco TRD 4x4 3.4 Auto: 17" Tundras/33's, 2.5" lift, 1" RB BL, 5% tint, BHLM, cb/pa/siren, 10k hids, Mossy Oak int.
Herculined: xenon fender flares, bumpers, rockers, and tool box
Future: maintenance shit, 5spd, 35's, armor, misc. stuff(brakes, frame, susp)
OBS F250 7.3 PSD 4x4-"Gertrude"-the tow rig
Taco PICS
EVILTacoSupreme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wheeling anyone? VSU_4runnin Events 11 07-12-2010 01:17 PM
i want to go wheeling timmaytoyota Events 36 05-29-2010 11:33 AM
Anybody wheeling in May? lifted98 General Discussions 16 05-08-2009 09:09 AM
Where to go wheeling in WV mytaco Lets Talk About Wheelin! 11 06-15-2008 10:59 AM
101 Wheeling Scotty Rotten Events 1 09-05-2007 01:18 PM

» Premium Vendor Showcase
» Recent Discussions
R150f and M/T swap parts...
02-03-2016 07:40 PM
by Bandido
Last post by SafetyDang
Today 06:57 PM
2 Replies, 77 Views
96-02 4wd stuff
Today 06:46 PM
Last post by Broken wrench
Today 06:46 PM
0 Replies, 10 Views
Random Picture thread.
01-16-2006 03:20 AM
Last post by hostile
Today 06:38 PM
7 Replies, 1,235,756 Views
FrankenTaco
04-25-2006 11:49 PM
by tacd44
Last post by ShowStop
Today 05:43 PM
15 Replies, 2,952 Views
DavidTaylor9 2015...
01-30-2016 02:22 AM
Last post by DavidTaylor9
Today 04:07 PM
3 Replies, 194 Views
Pulling motor - do I...
02-03-2016 07:27 PM
Last post by Riverman
Today 10:36 AM
6 Replies, 159 Views
NEED ADVICE DEaler...
01-29-2016 06:26 PM
by RDAWG
Last post by RDAWG
Today 12:02 AM
3 Replies, 160 Views
Toyota extends rust...
03-07-2008 05:41 PM
by mt_goat
Last post by exacto
Yesterday 08:37 PM
2 Replies, 477,889 Views
POWERTRAX LOCK-RIGHT...
02-25-2015 10:15 AM
Last post by JTSDIFFS
Yesterday 07:20 PM
4 Replies, 719 Views
Cottora on Facebook
02-03-2016 11:18 AM
by Felix
Last post by Felix
Yesterday 06:49 PM
2 Replies, 81 Views
» Buyer's Resource
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:18 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.