TTORA Forum banner

3.4l V6, How many miles can I get out of her?

37K views 33 replies 26 participants last post by  68reece 
#1 ·
Currently I have 253,xxx miles on my 00 Taco 3.4l 5 speed 4x4. I am debating on taking it to college, and my dad and I believe it will be just fine, but my mom is worried about the mileage. I am in Las Vegas, will be taking it up to Chico, in Nor Cal, about 1 hour North of Sacramento.

So opinions? Thanks, its more so for my parents to read.

#3 ·
Well if you can get your parents convinved that this forum is legitimate (in which it is) then your truck will last long IF you keep up with all the maintenance such as oil changes, plugs, water pump, and what not.

OR if your parents dont believe anything on this website (in which some parents dont) then ask a dealership what their biggest mileaged tacoma has been..

Just my :2cents:

#4 ·
I agree with the other statements...if the vehicle has been properly maintained you and your folks should have no concerns.

As a parent myself, I wouldn't think twice about sending my child away to school in a Tacoma with that many miles.;)

Even if you need to spend some $$ on repairs & maint...its still way less than car payments.

$.02

#34 ·
Toyota Rules

'99 tacoma 3.4L 202,000 Miles and feels new. Valve cover gaskets, iridium plugs, full synthetic Castrol with OEM filters every 4500 miles, timing belt and water pump every 90K miles, new OEM front shocks, Rancho rear shocks, K&N cold air intake, BF Goodrich KO2's, and 91 octane up here in W.Washngton. This rig is a dream.

#8 ·
190,xxx on my 3.4 2001 so far. Going very strong but well maintained.

#9 ·
As has been stated, get your maintenance up-to-date, if not so already. Timing belt, hoses, water pump, transmission fluid, etc. There was a guy a few weeks ago that said he works for an insurance company and sees 3.4L Tacomas and 4Runners with 500+K miles all the time. Even some that clicked over 1 Million miles.

#11 ·
shit mine should last the rest of my life. ive only put on roughly 46,000km on mine in the last 5 yrs (bought used w 67,000). 5,900 of that being one 2 week road trip.

sweet

now if i can keep the frame from rotting.....................

#14 ·
I just hit 90K the other day. Already did the timing, waterpump, & thermostat:cool:

#16 ·
trust in the 3.4

I am over 290,000 now on a 2001. I have probably spent 2000 in repairs (non maintenance) smog stuff sensors battery, corroded coolant pipe ect. I use syn oil and i change about every 7 to 10K miles. Other than the battery it has not once ever left me stranded. And due to my local average of gas being 4.60 i drive like a granny and i am getting darn near 21mpg and going 345 miles on a tank :) (i have stock size tires)
I would listen to the guy above never let it overheat! mine never has but my buddies did when he didnt adjust the fan shroud with the body lift, his died at just over 200K. I would be far more worried about your gas bill than the motor pooping out.

#17 ·
I am over 290,000 now on a 2001. I have probably spent 2000 in repairs (non maintenance) smog stuff sensors battery, corroded coolant pipe ect. I use syn oil and i change about every 7 to 10K miles. Other than the battery it has not once ever left me stranded. And due to my local average of gas being 4.60 i drive like a granny and i am getting darn near 21mpg and going 345 miles on a tank :) (i have stock size tires)
I would listen to the guy above never let it overheat! mine never has but my buddies did when he didnt adjust the fan shroud with the body lift, his died at just over 200K. I would be far more worried about your gas bill than the motor pooping out.
you have a 3.4 and your getting 345 miles to a tank? crazy..

#19 ·
What size tank do you have? I get about 250-275ish out of my 3.4 at about 16-17 MPG :(

#22 ·
It depends on what kind of driving you do. I am about 80% freeway. If you're more city driving, with lots of stop & go, idling, etc., then 16-17 seems right. BTW, my tank size is the same as every other Tacoma - 18.5 gal.

#27 ·
Today I filled up 17 gallons and I got 285 out of my tank. Around 60 percent city driving. I can pull 300 on freeway and I am on 32's. I will probally pull the TB this week an see how it looks.

#28 ·
I'm going to school in Chico now and have noticed a few things.

In chico you don't need a car/truck everyone rides bikes because it's flat and sunny most of the year. People's vehicles remained parked for months at a time. So would imagine that the only time you would put miles on your truck is when you go back home to visit your parents.

Unless your parents pay for your gas and insurance I'd leave it at home because this town is built for riding a bike.

Depending on your major you might see a decrease in the amount of time you have for wheelin.

#29 ·
Mine was basically stock other than my fabtech lift. No 1000lbs of bumpers and skids on mine. When i drove my old way i got 17 to 19. When gas prices hit high, i drove like a grandma, and did 70-75 on freeway and never accelerated quickly. I was prob 70% on the freeway, but then again this is southern California so not sure if that is applicable. And when i went 340 miles on a tank i was pushing it! Its mostly in how you drive. But i traded it in Saturday night, so i will see what my 204 with 87K miles gets on it. And yes ALL the smog equipment has been replaced on mine, my check engine light has been set off by that crap so many freaking times, you would think it was made in France. The only time i noticed a MPG change in the truck when when i changed out the factory fuel filter at 240K miles. Tune ups, oil, air filter, non of that ever made a difference that i noticed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.