picked up a High Mile 01 4 cylinder auto taco what todo maintance wise? - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Burnerstaco
picked up a High Mile 01 4 cylinder auto taco what todo maintance wise?

Just scooped up a 2001 tacoma 4 cylinder auto xcab taco 4wd for $3500. 267000 miles! Decent shape one owner. No maintance records with it. Runs well tranny shifts smooth. Needs front brakes/fix ebrake oil and filter change air filter etc.......What else should I look for and get squared away? I know my old 3.4 was supposed to have a timing belt every 80k or so....these I believe have a timing chain.....I guess im askin for some of you 4 banger guys to chime in and lemme know what problems/maintance issues I should check for or look after.

02 TRD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member

idk of much that goes wrong with 01-04's but the older ones have a problem with the exhaust manifolds cracking. I would drain and refill the transmisiion pan every oil change for the first year just to make sure you get some good fluid in there. I have heard horror stories on getting a super high mileage tranny flushed so I would steer clear of that. My 96 4cyl 4x4 has 270k on it and runs fine. Replaced a starter, 2 o2 sensors and an injector. Timing chain should be fine, I replaced mine at 242k just for peace of mind, it was nowhere near the service wear limit but I wanted to change the head gasket because 3rz motors have a rep for cracking heads when the gaskets go so i figured it needed done

Baron long rod von hug€nschlong
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Burnerstaco
I had looked at 2004 xcab 4 cylinder auto last week w/367k miles.....ran great....actually on the lot a toyota dealer they were asking $7999....wouldnt move on the price....that truck was in great shape just needed a rear spring and tires....I just couldnt give that much for something with 367k.

02 TRD
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode