Air Bag Light Fix? - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Air Bag Light Fix?

ok so my air bag light has been on ever since i bought the truck, about 5-6 months, and my buddy works at toyota so he hooked up the snap-on scanner and he came up with nothing, he said it was very werid most of the time they will have some kind of code, so he got the air bag tech guy to come look at it and he was also puzzeled, and he said that when you turn the key off the air bag light should go out fast like all the other lights, but it doesn't, it dims out slowly,..So he said that I need a new Air Bag ECM (Brain)...So it said it was about 500-600 bucks!..So I looked on ebay and found this,....http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOT...mZ180380065446

They say they will reset and fix it, because I think my truck was in a crash because my buddy said it has a different fender and the whole truck was just repainted before i bought it, so my guess is that they went off and nobody has reset it,.....So what do you guys think?......Scam or will it fix my air bag light so that they will go off if I ever get in a crash?....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 03:49 PM
Going John Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM PUNK View Post
ok so my air bag light has been on ever since i bought the truck, about 5-6 months, and my buddy works at toyota so he hooked up the snap-on scanner and he came up with nothing, he said it was very werid most of the time they will have some kind of code, so he got the air bag tech guy to come look at it and he was also puzzeled, and he said that when you turn the key off the air bag light should go out fast like all the other lights, but it doesn't, it dims out slowly,..So he said that I need a new Air Bag ECM (Brain)...So it said it was about 500-600 bucks!..So I looked on ebay and found this,....http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOT...mZ180380065446

They say they will reset and fix it, because I think my truck was in a crash because my buddy said it has a different fender and the whole truck was just repainted before i bought it, so my guess is that they went off and nobody has reset it,.....So what do you guys think?......Scam or will it fix my air bag light so that they will go off if I ever get in a crash?....
does your horn work? if not the spiral cable is busted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teryx View Post
Yeah, well, I'm just glad I snagged a few Spector cans before EPA converted them to Sphincters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Jake View Post
Lube may be your best friend (depending on location).
'00 Excab Tacoma, 2.7, 5sp with a Bunch-o-mods
Inchworm Rock Walkin' Gear
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Yep horn works!..and the truck didn't come with CC,
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member

What year is your Tacoma?

I don't think the SRS ECU explains the problem you describe (the passenger airbag indicator fading out rather than shutting off).

At least for the 2001 - 2004 generation, the indicator lamp is powered straight off a hot line and switched by the key-turn switch. The center airbag sensor / controller unit doesn't have any direct control over the indicator lamp.

If the switch is not disengaging or the lamp unit's built-in electronic component (diode? resistor?) is faulty that would explain the behavior.

I'd start with the switch / indicator unit itself. Just my .02 ...
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Mine is a 98,
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Mine is a 98,
OK ...

The wiring is the same as for the 2001 - 2004 generation. The passenger airbag indicator lamp is powered off its own dedicated power line, and triggered by the manual cutoff switch.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

I only have one air bag light,...Why do you call it the passenger air bag light?....I'm totally clueless when it comes to these thing thats why I'm asking,...Thanks!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member

because there is a switch that turns the passenger airbag on/off on your dash. I forgot to plug mine back in a couple of years ago when putting a new CD player in my 99 and it will cause the light to go on.

Also, if you broke it when removing the center piece of the dash, from what I can remember it is an expensive connector.

Check that first. It takes 2 minutes.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Yep I did check that,..It's good to go!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member

I wouldn't trust my life to some $40 ebay airbag reset scam.

They probably just disable the system so the light never comes on, but that also means the airbags don't work.

If you truck has been in an accident, and you don't know who repaired it and what they replaced, you need to inspect both airbags, and both sensors. And the front seatbelts too. The center airbag unit has a decel sensor in it that has to be replaced after activation. I've never heard of a reset procedure, and unless it came from Toyota, I wouldn't trust it.

Don't put a new control unit in without testing the front sensors, if they are both tripped, there is a chance the bags will go off as soon as you plug that thing in. I've seen it happen, but don't remember the exact circumstances.

Your problem sounds more electrical, make sure the control unit has the correct power sources and grounds, and the bulb wiring isn't shorted.

Ugly '85(s)
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Very True!...I guess I'll have to bust out the test light and start poking around???
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Very True!...I guess I'll have to bust out the test light and start poking around???
Poke around with a wiring diagram so you know what to expect. And use a multimeter, not a test light.

Ugly '85(s)
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Oh ok good call!...Any Idea where I could find a Air Bag diagram?
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 11:38 PM
Veteran Member

Does this help? Diagram

There is lots more in there. Tips hints and precautions for handling and servicing the SRS system.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 01:40 AM
Veteran Member

FYI An OEM airbag computer was around $550 when I got mine wet. No way in hell would I trust a $40 one
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I only have one air bag light,...Why do you call it the passenger air bag light?....I'm totally clueless when it comes to these thing thats why I'm asking,...Thanks!
Maybe I misunderstood which lamp you were referring to. Is it:

- the SRS warning indicator (little airbag icon) on the instrument cluster?

OR

- the deactivation warning lamp on your passenger airbag switch?

I thought you were referring to this last one.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Sorry it is the little guy with an Air Bag going off in his face on my gauge cluster,..lol...And I think that Diagram my help,...
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hytenor View Post
does your horn work? if not the spiral cable is busted.
wait my airbag light is on an my horn dont work. so would it be the spiral cable busted?? is that the clock spring or no?

The only rock crawlin I do is when I go snook fishin at the jetty.

1999 2.7, stick, 37x13.5 baja claws 15x10 black steelies 4.88s lockright and camo headliner with a mirror on the roof, camo door panels, visors, seats, and steering wheel and a stackin lift
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheeltaco View Post
wait my airbag light is on an my horn dont work. so would it be the spiral cable busted?? is that the clock spring or no?
That combination of symptoms is a strong clue that it's the spiral cable.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnolaGaia View Post
That combination of symptoms is a strong clue that it's the spiral cable.
sounds like you may have a spiral cable problem ive never seen a light go dim like your before. usually even if the light goes off a code is usually stored in the air bag ecu. most common codes i see for these trucks are short to B+ . replacing the air bag center module usuallyfixes it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode