location of the ect or coolant temp sensor - TTORA Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
browntown3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: greeneville TN
Posts: 89
location of the ect or coolant temp sensor

Looking for location on3.4 v6 ive searched online for two days and have given up. Please let me know if you know where its located.thanks guys!

"Current"
2000 4Runner Limited
2006 Sequoia SR5

"Dearly Missed"
1997 Tacoma LX
2001 Sequoia SR5
browntown3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member
 
AZ98TRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Phoenix, Az
Posts: 673
It's on the flux capacitor...

In all seriousness, have you been able to find it on google? I ditched the 3.4l so long ago i can't remember where it is.

1998 Tacoma TRD AWD. Lexus 4.7L 2UZ-FE. Lexus A750F 5 Speed Auto. SOLD...

2006 4Runner SR5 4WD. 4.0L V6 1GR-FE. 5 Spd Auto A750F. Bilstein 5100 w/ OME 884 (FRT). Bilstein 5100 w/ OME 895E (REAR). 285/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers. BOVADS roof rack. Unitrol Siren w/ Code 3 100w speaker.
AZ98TRD is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
 
Scuba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Austin, Texas.
Posts: 8,784
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/index.html

99 Single Cab 2.7. Finally SAS'd and sitting on full width Toyota axles.
Scuba is offline  
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 09:51 PM
Member Dismemberer
 
ShowStop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 17,337
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ShowStop
Specifically this page:
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repa.../ects/comp.pdf

Its located next to the upper radiator hose where it goes into the engine.

Next Socal TTORA event - Big Bear Snow Trip - TBA
www.ttora-socal.com
SoCal TTORA on Facebook
ShowStop is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
browntown3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: greeneville TN
Posts: 89
Awesome! Thanks guys, Yea i searched and searched and never found a good diagram or picture and everybody said it was located on different sides of the engine and places, i was confused as hell! Thanks again!

"Current"
2000 4Runner Limited
2006 Sequoia SR5

"Dearly Missed"
1997 Tacoma LX
2001 Sequoia SR5
browntown3 is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 11:46 AM
Member Dismemberer
 
ShowStop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 17,337
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ShowStop
Quote:
Originally Posted by browntown3 View Post
Awesome! Thanks guys, Yea i searched and searched and never found a good diagram or picture and everybody said it was located on different sides of the engine and places, i was confused as hell! Thanks again!
On the 2.7L, the ECT is on the back of the head.

Next Socal TTORA event - Big Bear Snow Trip - TBA
www.ttora-socal.com
SoCal TTORA on Facebook
ShowStop is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
 
4wd_mofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Diamond Bar, CA
Posts: 1,031
Send a message via AIM to 4wd_mofo
is this the sensor for the ECM or the one for the readout on the dash?

1997 4x4 V6 5-spd (SOLD)
1999 4x4 TRD V6 (SOLD)
2001 Taco V6 (red) Lifted and sh!t
2005 Yamaha R6 (red)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
You CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!
4wd_mofo is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 12:24 PM
Member Dismemberer
 
ShowStop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 17,337
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ShowStop
The sensor on the rear of the engine is for the ECM. There is another sensor on the coolant outlet port from the engine that serves the dash gauge.

Next Socal TTORA event - Big Bear Snow Trip - TBA
www.ttora-socal.com
SoCal TTORA on Facebook
ShowStop is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
 
4wd_mofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Diamond Bar, CA
Posts: 1,031
Send a message via AIM to 4wd_mofo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowStop View Post
The sensor on the rear of the engine is for the ECM. There is another sensor on the coolant outlet port from the engine that serves the dash gauge.
the online FSM is a nightmare, is downloading the 39meg one worth it? i see the 3.4 location of the front one, but not the rear one. is it too also called an ECT, or does it have another name?

1997 4x4 V6 5-spd (SOLD)
1999 4x4 TRD V6 (SOLD)
2001 Taco V6 (red) Lifted and sh!t
2005 Yamaha R6 (red)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
You CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!
4wd_mofo is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 02:41 PM
Member Dismemberer
 
ShowStop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 17,337
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ShowStop
My previous post refers to a 2.7L. I haven't seen it myself on a 3.4L, but the FSM shows a sensor on the coolant output tube up front and a second ECT sender in the driver side rear of the intake.

Next Socal TTORA event - Big Bear Snow Trip - TBA
www.ttora-socal.com
SoCal TTORA on Facebook
ShowStop is offline  
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
 
4wd_mofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Diamond Bar, CA
Posts: 1,031
Send a message via AIM to 4wd_mofo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowStop View Post
My previous post refers to a 2.7L. I haven't seen it myself on a 3.4L, but the FSM shows a sensor on the coolant output tube up front and a second ECT sender in the driver side rear of the intake.
i'll poke around later and see if i can snap a pic of these. hoping its a simple fix for my CEL

1997 4x4 V6 5-spd (SOLD)
1999 4x4 TRD V6 (SOLD)
2001 Taco V6 (red) Lifted and sh!t
2005 Yamaha R6 (red)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
You CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!
4wd_mofo is offline  
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 12:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gulf Breeze, FL
Posts: 396
The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor is located on the front of the intake manifold, passenger side of the upper radiator hose, and just behind the cover that hides your timing. It is a 19mm socket and to get it out you should drain about a gallon of coolant using the petcock on the passenger side of the radiator, disconnect the upper radiator hose and remove the upper timing cover. This is a 2 wire sensor.

The water temperature sensor is just for the gauge and it is located on the back of the intake under all that crap. If your gauge is working then this sensor works and there is no need to get down to it. If you do have to get down to it you either have to be really squirrely or you need to take the upper and lower plenum off to succcessfully get a socket on it. This is a 1 wire "sensor". All this does is provide a ground for your temperature gauge on the dash.

2002 Tacoma with some dents.
TacoTraveler is offline  
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
 
4wd_mofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Diamond Bar, CA
Posts: 1,031
Send a message via AIM to 4wd_mofo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTraveler View Post
The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor is located on the front of the intake manifold, passenger side of the upper radiator hose, and just behind the cover that hides your timing. It is a 19mm socket and to get it out you should drain about a gallon of coolant using the petcock on the passenger side of the radiator, disconnect the upper radiator hose and remove the upper timing cover. This is a 2 wire sensor.

The water temperature sensor is just for the gauge and it is located on the back of the intake under all that crap. If your gauge is working then this sensor works and there is no need to get down to it. If you do have to get down to it you either have to be really squirrely or you need to take the upper and lower plenum off to succcessfully get a socket on it. This is a 1 wire "sensor". All this does is provide a ground for your temperature gauge on the dash.
Show stop, thank you as always, and a big thanks to Taco Traveler. I didn't know i need to remove my Timing cover to get to the ECT, and drain the coolant. The truck is due for a T-belt and maybe a WP at the same time as im around 150K miles... maybe i'll replace the sensor when all the belts are off and whatnot. I really just want to fix the CEL so i know my truck is running correctly .

one more question, how hard is it to remove the T-belt cover? i tried it once on my 97, but remember i removed all the bolts i could see and she still wouldn't come off... thanks again!

P.S. you said petcock

1997 4x4 V6 5-spd (SOLD)
1999 4x4 TRD V6 (SOLD)
2001 Taco V6 (red) Lifted and sh!t
2005 Yamaha R6 (red)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
You CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!
4wd_mofo is offline  
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 01:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gulf Breeze, FL
Posts: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wd_mofo View Post
Show stop, thank you as always, and a big thanks to Taco Traveler. I didn't know i need to remove my Timing cover to get to the ECT, and drain the coolant. The truck is due for a T-belt and maybe a WP at the same time as im around 150K miles... maybe i'll replace the sensor when all the belts are off and whatnot. I really just want to fix the CEL so i know my truck is running correctly .

one more question, how hard is it to remove the T-belt cover? i tried it once on my 97, but remember i removed all the bolts i could see and she still wouldn't come off... thanks again!

P.S. you said petcock
The upper timing belt cover is VERY easy. First slip the clips holding your coil pack wires to the top of the cover off, then disconnect the upper radiator hose and finally remove the 6 10mm bolts. 4 of these bolts are clearly visible and 1 is down by the power steering pump and 1 is behind the dip stick. Once those are removed pull out the dip stick and pull straight out and up.

It's only a petcock if you treat it like a pet and stroke it while you're laying in bed trying to go to sleep at night.

2002 Tacoma with some dents.
TacoTraveler is offline  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member
 
4wd_mofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Diamond Bar, CA
Posts: 1,031
Send a message via AIM to 4wd_mofo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTraveler View Post
The upper timing belt cover is VERY easy. First slip the clips holding your coil pack wires to the top of the cover off, then disconnect the upper radiator hose and finally remove the 6 10mm bolts. 4 of these bolts are clearly visible and 1 is down by the power steering pump and 1 is behind the dip stick. Once those are removed pull out the dip stick and pull straight out and up.

It's only a petcock if you treat it like a pet and stroke it while you're laying in bed trying to go to sleep at night.

cool, yea i'm gonna check my coolant this weekend and see if its dirty. i just topped it off in feb when i bought the truck and gave it a once over. Just worried i'm jumping the gun because i will have to drain/refill soon when i do the t-belt and WP.

Hey on amazon/ebay these sensors seem to run $20-35 shipped, the picture shows a 2 prong set up, sound about right?

1997 4x4 V6 5-spd (SOLD)
1999 4x4 TRD V6 (SOLD)
2001 Taco V6 (red) Lifted and sh!t
2005 Yamaha R6 (red)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
You CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!
4wd_mofo is offline  
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 02:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gulf Breeze, FL
Posts: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wd_mofo View Post

cool, yea i'm gonna check my coolant this weekend and see if its dirty. i just topped it off in feb when i bought the truck and gave it a once over. Just worried i'm jumping the gun because i will have to drain/refill soon when i do the t-belt and WP.

Hey on amazon/ebay these sensors seem to run $20-35 shipped, the picture shows a 2 prong set up, sound about right?
$20 shipped isn't too bad but $35 seems high. I'm usually picky about using OE parts but the ECT was one I wasn't too worried about. I bought mine for $15 at O'Reilly's. Advance Auto wanted $22ish.

2002 Tacoma with some dents.
TacoTraveler is offline  
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
 
4wd_mofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Diamond Bar, CA
Posts: 1,031
Send a message via AIM to 4wd_mofo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTraveler View Post
$20 shipped isn't too bad but $35 seems high. I'm usually picky about using OE parts but the ECT was one I wasn't too worried about. I bought mine for $15 at O'Reilly's. Advance Auto wanted $22ish.
I would trust one from O'Reilly's, prices are good and i refuse to shop at autozone anymore.

1997 4x4 V6 5-spd (SOLD)
1999 4x4 TRD V6 (SOLD)
2001 Taco V6 (red) Lifted and sh!t
2005 Yamaha R6 (red)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
You CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!
4wd_mofo is offline  
Reply
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engine Coolant Temp Sensor Hog Hunter Early Tacoma Tech 8 01-16-2016 02:42 PM
Anyone know 3.4L coolant temp sensor thread size/pitch? KStacoma Early Tacoma Tech 1 05-24-2012 05:28 PM
Coolant Sensor Location colvilletacoma Early Tacoma Tech 3 05-22-2012 08:53 PM
3.4 coil packs, wires, rear O2 sensor, & temp sensor glassdoc Parts/Electronics/Wheels/Tires 7 01-27-2009 07:17 PM
WTB Coolant temp sensor and fan switch for 1990 22RE vietsol Wanted 1 10-07-2007 03:37 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome