TTORA Forum banner

Dome light not working when opening doors

14K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  NorcalPR 
#1 ·
I have 2004 taco sr5 with power locks 5 speed and I have recently installed rock lights and I wired them to come on when ever the dome light comes on with a resistor(so the dome light wouldn't come on when the rocklights were on) well every thing was fine until I got to the 16th rocklight and then they started acting up and now the dome light doesn't work right but my rock lights work. I have tore the truck apart looking for a burnt wire or a burnt control unit, I haven't found anything, if you unlock the truck with the keyless remote the dome light comes on and stays on UNTIL you open either door which makes me think there is a short in the door switch wire somewhere and I've checked the door switches. I know it was my mistake for wiring with the battery connected but right now I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get my dome light to work when I open my doors.

Anyone have the problem before or have any idea how to fix it? I'll even try replacing the control unit if I knew which one it was.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Well maybe a fuse somewhere you missed. I know you have checked them just saying. And you have cut the leds off of the dome completely. And now it doesn't work right. Maybe disconnect your battery and let the computer reset. Did you put a relay on the lights so the current isn't pulling through your wire to your bulb? Sorry I don't have really good answers but maybe it will spawn another idea for ya

#7 ·
How many rocklights do you really need? I had 4 on my rockcrawler, 2 in front and 2 on each side behind the front doors. Since the problem started at the 16th light, can you struggle by with just 12 or 8?

#11 ·
I have just checked every fuse on the truck and I only found one blown fuse which was for the power outlets under the radio. So I replaced it just to see if that may be it, but it wasn't. The dome light is not getting the variable ground from the Electronic control module.... So it must be burnt up. Any ideas where I could find the ECM for the dome light? So I can see if it's burnt up before I replace it.

#12 ·
Same problem

Hey - I've got the same problem with my 03 tacoma. Dome light doesnt come on with the door. It turns on when I press the unlock on my key fob, but turns off as soon as I open the door. It comes on with the door opening if the truck is on. I've got no idea whats going on. Did you ever find a solutions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.