TTORA Forum banner

light bar vs skid plate

3K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  TacoDell 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 Tacoma 4X4 DC TRD. Does anyone know if a front bumper light bar, such as a Safari light bar, is compatible with a Toyota OEM front skid plate? It appears that the skid plate mounting brackets are bolted to the same place that the light bar would bolt to. Can both accessories be mounted at the same time or is it necessary to remove the OEM skid plate in order to mount the light bar?

#2 ·
Voyager said:
I have a 2004 Tacoma 4X4 DC TRD. Does anyone know if a front bumper light bar, such as a Safari light bar, is compatible with a Toyota OEM front skid plate? It appears that the skid plate mounting brackets are bolted to the same place that the light bar would bolt to. Can both accessories be mounted at the same time or is it necessary to remove the OEM skid plate in order to mount the light bar?
You should be able to use both. They may share a common mounting point, but should allow both to be used. I know that I have seen some with both, but don't know what light bar models they are.

#4 ·
The safari bar that used to have attached to the truck at the tow hooks. It was a Westin brand, and came with longer bolts so that you can bolt the two hooks back up, It didn't interfere with the skid plate at all, Though I would suggest, if you should get stuck someday, do not pull on the safari bar as it is mainly for lights.

#6 ·
Demello makes a great little light bar!!!!

#9 ·
Don't know why I didn't search. :doh:

Anyway, found a cheap one that mounts up for only $199 from these guys:

http://www.randyellisdesign.com/TOYOTA TACOMA LIGHT BAR/

Called them and they said it will work on an '99 too ('01 pictured). Looks like I've got something to add for my wish list. :D

#11 ·
Interex said:
Don't know why I didn't search. :doh:

Anyway, found a cheap one that mounts up for only $199 from these guys:

http://www.randyellisdesign.com/TOYOTA TACOMA LIGHT BAR/

Called them and they said it will work on an '99 too ('01 pictured). Looks like I've got something to add for my wish list. :D
I'd think twice about a light bar like that. They do vibrate, and your lights jiggle all the damn time. Futhermore, the bars decrease your approach angle, and lastly, other than mounting lights they are worthless. If all you need is a light bar I'd get Demello's. If you're gonna wheel hard skip the light bar and get a bumper.

#13 ·
Well, that one looks more solid than the westin-style safari bars. Hopefully the vibration won't be as bad.

With the westin style, the bar mounts to the mounting brackets via a single bolt. You would literally bend it straight down by hand.

I would think those that use that "up-from-underneath" would be suseptible to vibration in varying degress, based primarily on height (distance from mounting point).

#14 ·
Interex said:
I don't plan to wheel much. It's a PreRunner and I'm planning on picking up a trail-only rig soon. The vibrating has me a bit concerned though. Is this common with all light bars? A bumper would be ideal but again it would probably be just for show.
The only type of wheeling i've done is mostly desert roads and such... I have one of the westin safari bars...No vibrations yet.. though when I mounted the lights, I used metal and rubber washers in between the lights and bar, then tightened them down pretty good...The main reason I got that bar is to mount fog lights on it. It will probably come off here in a few years when the wheeling bug bites harder! :D

#15 ·
MysticGold04 said:
The only type of wheeling i've done is mostly desert roads and such... I have one of the westin safari bars...No vibrations yet.. though when I mounted the lights, I used metal and rubber washers in between the lights and bar, then tightened them down pretty good...The main reason I got that bar is to mount fog lights on it. It will probably come off here in a few years when the wheeling bug bites harder! :D
The first time ya bump something with it... it will vibrate for ever... Or just gve it more time... been there, done that... ;)

On the street it wasn't so bad... offroad... they're all over the place...

#16 ·
I emailed Randy about the light bar, here is what I got back:

The Sleekster light bar for your truck bolts on in about 10 minutes. It uses the tow hook and import hook that are mounted to the bottom of your frame. Remove the tow hook and import hook, place the light bar against the frame and bolt your hooks back in place. Four bolts hold the light bar in place. The Sleekster light bars are a little overkill for just mounting lights, they also protect the front of your truck. The lights are held in place rigidly so they do not look like they are having seizures when running down those washboard roads at night.
Sounds like a good mount. I know those tow hook bolts are strong as hell.

#18 ·
Interex said:
I emailed Randy about the light bar, here is what I got back:

Sounds like a good mount. I know those tow hook bolts are strong as hell.
Sounds like the same mount as the Safari Bar... Maybe their mounting brackets are stronger... Though I doubt it... The mounting point (frame) is strong but the brackets are usually the weak link... They will bend in a 2 mph bump... Once that happens the tube part never sits flush to the bracket again and the vibration begans... I know cause I had someone back into me and that was all she wrote... I did my best to flatten the mounting bracket... but could never get it be be right again... These style of bumpers offer no protection whatsoever and could cause even more damage as they can be pushed back into the radiator on even a simple rear ender... Save yer dough and get someone to fab up something that really works... JMO...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.