lost rear end (05 Taco) - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

lost rear end (05 Taco)

So my first experience using 4 lo with the diff lock was not a good one. I blew a 3 1/2 inch chunk right out of my ring. Basically destroying the whole rearend. Got it towed to toyota and had it back with a complete new assembly in four days so I am happy about that. For once it wasnt my fault, factory blemish in the casting...phew. Havent heard of anyone else with this problem yet and hopefully wont.

2005 Tacoma TRD Off-Road (Indigo INk)
cap, load warrior, diff mod, headlight mod, Toytec 2.5, Ivan stewarts, 265/75 BFG AT

1996 GMC Sonoma Highrider ZR-2 (sold)
1998 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
www.geocities.com/searlo45
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 12:52 AM
Veteran Member

Wow! glad to hear that Toyota fixed you up in a hurry.

Now tell us how it happened.

steep climb? Rocks? Right as you turned the locker on?

Give us some details, dude!

Fast Frank

2017 Gen3 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4X4 Double Cab

Bone Stock and Loving Every Minute Of It.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 01:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to KStacoma
Damn, seems like all I hear about the 05's is problems, that sucks for sure man! At least you have warranty.

98 Taco- Sas'd, bobbed, dovetailed, caged, geared, locked.....sold
85 4runner- 40"iroks, duals, longs, supercharged 5vz-fe, caged, dented
2012 Taco- Street Queen
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Actually, beleive it or not, I wsnt even wheeling. There was about six inches of fresh snow on the ground and I was just playing around. I put it in four low and it was fine. Then I decided to lock in the diff. Put it in First, spinning the tires a bit and getting a feel for it. Stopped, took off again and it just let go. No extreme use at all. The warranty manager asked me if I had gotten stuck and I told him exactly what happened. I suppose that he still questioned my honesty at this time so I gave him a mock senario (getting stuck bad) and asked him if the diff lock was just a sales gimmick or if was supposed to actually work like I had assumed when I purchased the truck. I have been stuck many times and have never lost the rear in any of my vehicles let alone a brand new one that was barely spinning a tire. After I talked for awhile, he agreed that this should have never happened even If I was stuck at the time. The technician who is friend of mine, took the rear apart and said that it was fluke incident that he has never ever encountered on a toyota. I almost wish I had a good wheelin story to go along with it but unfortunately I dont. Oh well.

2005 Tacoma TRD Off-Road (Indigo INk)
cap, load warrior, diff mod, headlight mod, Toytec 2.5, Ivan stewarts, 265/75 BFG AT

1996 GMC Sonoma Highrider ZR-2 (sold)
1998 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
www.geocities.com/searlo45
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 02:22 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDForMe
Actually, beleive it or not, I wsnt even wheeling. There was about six inches of fresh snow on the ground and I was just playing around. I put it in four low and it was fine. Then I decided to lock in the diff. Put it in First, spinning the tires a bit and getting a feel for it. Stopped, took off again and it just let go. No extreme use at all. The warranty manager asked me if I had gotten stuck and I told him exactly what happened. I suppose that he still questioned my honesty at this time so I gave him a mock senario (getting stuck bad) and asked him if the diff lock was just a sales gimmick or if was supposed to actually work like I had assumed when I purchased the truck. I have been stuck many times and have never lost the rear in any of my vehicles let alone a brand new one that was barely spinning a tire. After I talked for awhile, he agreed that this should have never happened even If I was stuck at the time. The technician who is friend of mine, took the rear apart and said that it was fluke incident that he has never ever encountered on a toyota. I almost wish I had a good wheelin story to go along with it but unfortunately I dont. Oh well.
So you prematurely blew your load while you had good traction, but anticipated bad traction in the sac.....

I mean truck! j/k!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelitro
fat chicks and scooters. they may be fun to ride but you dont want your buddies catching you on one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode