TTORA Forum banner

power steering/manual steerin 96 tacoma

805 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  tantacoma 
#1 ·
i have a 96 tacoma 4x4 with power steering. it leaks. bad. so besides the oil whats the diffrence between runnin it with armstrong steering and actually having the manual steering? as near as i can tell there basically the same design.

#3 ·
Where's it leaking from? I'm betting your high pressure lines corroded. Or did someone put power steering fluid in the system and now the pumps gone kerflewey? These trucks use ATF in the power steering. I agree with Dick. Just fix it.

#4 ·
Remove the PS belt and take it for a short drive (maybe early Sunday morning to minimize running into traffic). That will tell you what its like to not have the assist. Without that pressure from the pump, it shouldn't leak that much. I don't think these trucks even came with a rack designed for manual steering.

You're much better off to fix it. That way if someone borrows your truck, they won't freak out. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.