2002 Tacoma headlight upgrade options? - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

2002 Tacoma headlight upgrade options?

I broke a headlight on my 2002 Double Cab and figure that now would be a good time to upgrade to something better than stock. I've been out of the lighting game for a few years and have no idea what the current wisdom is on this topic.

Recommend me a good, affordable headlight for a vehicle that sees primarily street and highway use. I just want to see better, I don't need to melt steel with 'em.

Thanks!

2002 Tacoma DC V6 PreRunner (converted to 5 speed and 4x4, with some other stuff, too)
1986 turbo 4x4 pickup (my money pit)
-
Converting an early Taco from auto to manual?
My PDF of first gen. Tacoma ECU pinout comparisons will help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosk22rte View Post
I broke a headlight on my 2002 Double Cab and figure that now would be a good time to upgrade to something better than stock. I've been out of the lighting game for a few years and have no idea what the current wisdom is on this topic.

Recommend me a good, affordable headlight for a vehicle that sees primarily street and highway use. I just want to see better, I don't need to melt steel with 'em.

Thanks!
I too need headlights. Been thinking about going with some LEDs.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 07:40 PM
I just got laid... off.

These are the projectors, harness, hid bulbs, & ballasts that I used on my retrofit swap for my 2000 4Runner.

Nilight 2.5" Mini HID Bixenon Projector Lens for H1 Bulb Car Gift:chrome Shround https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B21R0TA..._2DzCybNAM19BJ

Innovited AC 35W HID Xenon Conversion Kit - H1 - 6000K - 2 Year Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KJ8JIM4..._SGzCybF64T13C

HID-Warehouse Bi-Xenon HID Kit H4 Hi/Lo Bi-Xenon Controller Relay Harness Wire Control 12V 35W/55W Light Lamp Controller 130279 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KGPB9DQ..._qHzCybT80C42H

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

New(to me):
2006 Sport Edition 4WD 4Runner
2.5" Bilstein 5100 in front
1.5" spacer out back
265/75R17 Mickey Thompson ATZ's
Eagle Series 140 in 17x8

OLD:
05' TRD 4x4
96' Tacoma 2.7 Ext Cab 5spd w/ a mod or 2

85' 4Runner Build Up Thread
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:49 PM

I hit a deer last year and had to replace. I went with the cheap'o headlights off of ebay. They are around 40 per light and I was skeptical at first but they fit and work great. New clear plastic OEM replacements should give you more than enough light.

If you are looking for more light wire up some cheap LED's or Hella roundies. If you have a deer wacker your options are almost unlimited.

Most people make the mistake of wanting to mount them high, go as low as you can for optimal sub-par weather conditions. Here in Utah we drive allot in the snow and any light above your current headlight will only blind you more.

Last time i researched the HID conversion thing the hi-low options were nihl.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:49 AM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/291551787999

I've had these for a couple years now. My stock housings had a haze to them and some of the mounting tabs had been glued on by the previous owner, the output is much better than what I was working with.

04 DC TRD.... Its a Toyota thing that only a Jeep owner would understand.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:43 PM
NorCal Chapter Pres

Send a message via AIM to NorcalPR
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackay View Post
I hit a deer last year and had to replace. I went with the cheap'o headlights off of ebay. They are around 40 per light and I was skeptical at first but they fit and work great. New clear plastic OEM replacements should give you more than enough light.

If you are looking for more light wire up some cheap LED's or Hella roundies. If you have a deer wacker your options are almost unlimited.

Most people make the mistake of wanting to mount them high, go as low as you can for optimal sub-par weather conditions. Here in Utah we drive allot in the snow and any light above your current headlight will only blind you more.

Last time i researched the HID conversion thing the hi-low options were nihl.
X2. Got mine on amazon and brighter just because there is no haze.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hi, my name is Phill, above are things I say
W6FTW

Do you live in NorCal? Have you checked out the NorCal Section located here? If not check in today!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvus View Post
https://www.ebay.com/itm/291551787999

I've had these for a couple years now. My stock housings had a haze to them and some of the mounting tabs had been glued on by the previous owner, the output is much better than what I was working with.
How well do those fit, being 1 piece and all? What all comes with them? I'm not sure based on the seller description, but it seems just corners are needed, no?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejis60 View Post
How well do those fit, being 1 piece and all? What all comes with them? I'm not sure based on the seller description, but it seems just corners are needed, no?
They fit fine.... they come with L&R one piece housing and a L&R mounting bracket and zero instructions.

After you remove your grill, side marker housing, and headlight housing you put the mounting bracket in place(uses factory hardware) you put your bulbs(headlight and marker) in the new headlight and it mounts by 3 threaded studs with nuts and washers. Then your grill goes back on.... the housing replaces the headlight and marker.

04 DC TRD.... Its a Toyota thing that only a Jeep owner would understand.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode